Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
Klamberext
Accepted Solution

Laptop booting issue

Hey, this is my first post here.

I have a Lenovo 3000 N100 laptop. Well, it had a little accident years ago - LCD got kicked in with a foot. It's a great laptop and I have been using it ever since with the external monitor only i wish it had a screen strength like my Thinkpad has :smileyhappy:

It's been fun, i have learned to communicate with it throught led blinkings and hdd sounds - like having somekind of Altair.

Well the thing is that with this external monitor i can't see BIOS or anything before some drivers or smth. hasn't been loaded by the os. I recently upgraded a harddrive and installed Linux ( Slackware 1337 ) in another laptop. Set  up the bootloader, .... etc. and the hdd works great. But when i plug it into my laptop it wont boot. It just sits there. Funny thing is that it boots of CD/ DVD and i can load live distro and see that the hdd has been detected and i can access files and such.

It just doesn't boot form hdd. It doesn't boot from the CD too first time, but when i press F1 twice it looks like it then reboots and then it loads the CD(  huh? O.o ). I am not sure what that F1 does and It has been years since i have seen the actual boot menu of this laptop.

So i was wondering if reseting a BIOS somehow could do something, but didn't find info how to do it on this laptop( there is a battery like component on the mb but i am not shure :smileyvery-happy:(  i have seen other kinds )   ) and maybe someone has encountered similar issue and can point me to right direction ... I don't remember even if it does a USB boot.

Maybe it has somekind of hdd removal protection ?

Thanks.

Paper Tape
Klamberext

Re: Laptop booting issue

It even might be linux booting issue.
I could do a reinstall of another version that has been working on it since the beginning.

I'll let ya all know.

Sometimes problems solve themselves when you state them. :catlol:

andyP
Topics: 161
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 636

Hi Klamberext, welcome to the forum,

I don't know if the BIOS settings are the same for the N100 as the N500, but in this thread the member was able to solve their issue.

Please post your type and model number, maybe a member with the same type number, (the first four digits), can provide you with a "walkthrough" ??

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Klamberext

Thanks for the post. It was promising.
I wish i had this screen option there, but i think my bios didn't had this.

TYPE 0768-6VG

But model seems to vanished from the sticker  :smileysad:

However I think i got bios version from live shell using command biosdecode.
It says SMBIOS 2.4 present.

Also tried a program called cmospwd to reset my bios. It's for passwords, but one of the methods is to reset bios, but this program didn't help.. or well i don't know :smileyhappy:

Meanwhile i reinstalled another version of linux and tested booting and got the same answer. Seems it's not software on the disk that is causing the boot failure.

I'll try to search more on this bios but if someone has a walkthrought or other ideas, i would be very happy.

Thanks.

Retired Guru
Duck3

Klamberext, do check that thread Andy mentioned,

I think my walkthrough was for getting screen output
changed to Auto so bios could display on external.

I do not have a N100 now, but it was a 0768, and it did
have a setting in bios for screen output. Default was
"LCD only".

Wish I could help more...
Paper Tape
Klamberext

A little update:

Also tried a program called dmidecode. It parses the biosdecode output and gives a more verbose output.
I got my model number too 61ET20WW ( this, when i scratch my head, looks the one i once used for drivers )

andyP

Your model number is 0768.

Duck3's walkthrough I linked to should work because he had the same model of system, please give it a try and let us know how you get on.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos

Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you.

Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Yoga 10 HD+, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Klamberext

OMG!:smileylol:

This worked, the walkthrought worked !

Thankyou Andy and Thank you Duck3.

Sorry about my little misapps about models etc.

Hahahha .. ohh i am so happy... even when it says HDD has SMART failure but i don't care, i can always get a new hdd.

This has been most productive and i am sure to visit Lenovo comunity next time i have a problem.

Thank you all again and have a nice day, spring is coming!

andyP

:smileyvery-happy:  definitely good news, thanks for coming back and letting us know it worked out.

Andy  

Forum Search Option

PepperonI blog