Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
sparky123

Laptop freezing? See if this helps

[ Edited ]

I've found quite a few posts on the Lenovo forums from people suffering freezing on their laptops and I had the same experience with my new G770. After a little fiddling round I seem to have solved my problems, so I hope this is useful for others too.

About once a day, usually while surfing the internet (in both Chrome and Firefox), the desktop would freeze, with the hard drive light fully lit. Sometimes I could keep moving the pointer for a while, but the taskbar was unresponsive and the Task Manager woudln't open. I'd have to forcibly shut down the laptop to get things running again.

When I received the laptop, one of the first things I'd done was to uninstall the trial version of the McAfee anti virus software and install Microsoft Security Essentials. It turns out that uninstalling McAfee via the Control Panel doesn't fully remove it from your system, and the bits that were left can interfere with whichever other antivirus software you install.

McAfee have obviously had plenty of complaints about their ineffective uninstaller, and they provide a download called the McAfee Consumer Products Removal Tool (MCPR.exe) to clean up the left over bits. It's linked to on this page:

http://service.mcafee.com/FAQDocument.aspx?id=TS100507

and after running it, I've gone a week now with no freezes at all. Definitely worth trying this out if you are suffering freezes and can't pin down the cause.

Mark

Community SuperMod
bananaman

Re: Laptop freezing? See if this helps

Hi sparky123, and welcome to the Lenovo User Community!

Thats a great tip! Thank you for posting.

I don't work for Lenovo. I'm a crazy volunteer!
Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

Nice tip!  Maybe it's worth mentioning the obvious - most/all AV vendors provide full removal tools.  Leaving a trail of crumbs/droppings/junk behind after a simple uninstall is pretty common.

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Fanfold Paper
sparky123

Bother, I hate intermittent faults. About two days after posting this I encountered another couple of freezes, so I carried on trying to find a solution.

Looking through Event Viewer, I found that this error:

The device, \Device\Ide\iaStor0, did not respond within the timeout period.

corresponded with the freezes. Googling the error shows that this is associated with the Intel Rapid Storage Technology, and that plenty of people have had similar freezing problems, although mainly with SSD drives.

The problem seems to be that ACHI Link Power Management doesn't  work properly with some drives - it's not clear whether this is a fault with the drive itself, the controller or the Rapid Storage Technology software.

I disabled LPM using the registry patch detailed here:

http://windows7forums.com/windows-7-hardware/69796-intermittent-ssd-freezing-newer-laptops.html

and I'm now coming up to 3 weeks without any freezes.

Hope this is helpful to someone else.

Mark

What's DOS?
ZeGerman

Hey Sparky123. I also have a problem with laptop freezes on the y500. Are there any downsides on disabling LPM? perhaps I should return it for Lenovo to fix the problem itself or replace my laptop?