Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
BEStech

Lenovo 3000 N200 Shutsdown on Startup

I've been having trouble with my computer shutting down after a minute or so after turning it on in the morning.  It runs through the black Windows screen and sometimes will let me login, then it shuts down.  When I push the power button, I have the option to start in Safe Mode, a Network Mode, another one, or Start Computer Normally.

Does anyone know why this is happening?

I've reinstalled Vista because of the problem last spring but it is doing it again about 2 weeks after the install.  Not sure if it has to do with updates, a setting, or a power issue.

Thanks!

Paper Tape
Rckysh

Re: Lenovo 3000 N200 Shutsdown on Startup

This may work it does for me.  I had the same problem, try removing the battery and unplug the laptop.  Then push and hold the start button for about a minute.  Next, plug it in and try to turn it on.  If it runs, then there is a problem with the battery or the connection to the battery.   I am using my 3000 right now to type this.  If I put the battery back in it will do the same thing as your 3000.  Hope it works for you.
Paper Tape
thedole

I just got this problem after installing some updates through the lenovo update center or what it's called.  I can boot in safe mode fine but normal boot results in a blue screen after logon.  Went into safe mode to uninstall the updates but can't since the uninstall requires a reeboot and it never gets that far.  Since that first uninstall never finishes I don't get to uninstall the next one either..

I suspect my problem is caused by a too old Bios, I thought mine was the newest as I have the T2390 processor that is added in the latest Bios, but inspection says my version is 2.03 and newest is 3.03.  BUT I'm not able to update Bios in safe mode..  Is there some dos based Bios update utility that would work with a boot disk somewhere? 

Paper Tape
thedole

[ Edited ]

Problem solved on my issue for now, I disabled AHCI in the Bios resulting in me being able to boot therefore the uninstall could finish.  Then I updated the bios and reenabled AHCI.  Everything works fine now, think I'll try and reinstall that update to see if it causes havoc(BSOD) again or if it was a conflict with my old bios that caused this..

Edit:

The problem update was "Lenovo system driver interface" trying to reinstall as we speak.. Hope it goes a little smoother this time..

Message Edited by thedole on 10-03-2008 12:19 PM
Fanfold Paper
michael

Hi did anyone find a solution to the shutting down on power on issue?

I'm experiencing a similar problem on my laptop. Its a 3000 N200 series 0769 running XP service pack 3.

The symptoms are that I power on laptop and it gets past the lenovo boot screen, starts to load into windows with the loadings flash screen and can then just turn off.

When I power on again it brings up the safe mode etc screen, can boot into safe mode but then have to reboot and machine works fine and continues to power up fine.

There doesn't seem to be any consistent element causing this power down. I've got the latest BIOS, have removed battery and replaced, have removed battery pressed power button and re-inserted battery and have also removed battery and turned on using power supply alone and these all work okay. It doesn't happen each time, more sporadic.Sometimes happens after leaving it for ages so had thought of an issue with cold booting but then other times it fine, plus can also happen even when computer is 'hot' i.e has been booted up and then shut down within a relatively short period of time.

Retired Guru
Duck3

Micheal you should delete your post and start a new thread.

More folks might be able to concentrate their attention on

your problem.

To me, sounds like a battery or motherboard problem.

What's DOS?
chrishmorris

I get the same symptons, but I am using Linux, so it seems to be a hardware problem. In my case, it happens whether or not the battery is installed. After several tries (on average 4) the laptop starts.

One credible explanation is that the power supply is not providing enough power to boot the machine.

This could be territory specific. I am in the UK, where our mains voltage is 240V. Perhaps the power converter does not work so well with a high input voltage.

Paper Tape
predab81

i had the same problem with my notebook !

i solved it by cleaning the fan cooler ! try it !  it may work .

Token Ring
orion9727

if it posts then it sounds to me like a overheating issue or a conflict.

i would say overheating like the other guy said on a laptop that old clean the fan.

make sure it runs.

also try to run in safe mode that rules out conflicts and bad drivers.

if you dont know what safe mode is then well take it to a laptop repair guy.

What's DOS?
dscarter

Hello,

Has anyone come up with an answer for why the N200/3000 does this?  I've tried re-installing XP, I've installed Windows 7, I've swapped the heatsink/fan out, and it's still doing it.  Works fine apart from that, but it's rather annoying that it only boots maybe 1 time in 4!

Tried with the battery in/out, tried with the power supply connected/disconnected, and with the exception of the battery out and the power disconnected they all have the same success rate (for some strange reason, it doesn't turn on at all with the battery out and the power disconnected...</joke>).

And I'm not replacing the motherboard at $600+, I'll buy a new laptop if that's the case.

Many thanks in advance,

Duncan.