Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Blue Screen Again
jazz_deluxe

Lenovo 3000 N500 on XP ?

Hi .

This post is kind of some sort of blog ... about my "new" Lenovo 3000 N500 .

I've ordered it , and receive it soon . It's on vista ... and i'd love to put windows XP on that machine . 

Just because to me XP in unbeatable , it takes so little ram and CPU to run ...

I'll can get my good ol' cubase SX 3 , Fruity loops 7 , ableton 6 and Reason 4 running like heaven on that machine ...

i used to make those programs run on a sempron 2600 and 768 MB RAM ... it worked . Wasn't fancy , but worked on that ol' piece of junk i call a computer ... it died .

I bought a netbook from packard bell , but it runs only on Vista and Seven , and the processor is not really what i call powerful ...so , i'm willing to change for more performance 'cause i don't care if it's heavy or not , and even battery life ... i don't care about it . It will never last long , since my programs use lots of CPU and RAM ... i admit it , it was not a great choice [the netbook] . But it's a cute little computer , and i like it . So cute to have reason on it ...

So that's why when a friend told me he put his lenovo on ebay for 300$ i told to myself "oh , SWEET ! that's perfect . Just lacking a little RAM ... but RAM is cheap nowadays . And if by miracle i run XP , i won't need that much ram just tu run an OS ... ]

So now , the question : How to install XP on that ?

Retired Guru
Duck3

Re: Lenovo 3000 N500 on XP ?

[ Edited ]

First look over THIS Driver Matrix for your laptop.

XP drivers are available.

Do you plan on trying to keep the Lenovo Rescue & Recovery partition?

So it can be restored to *cough* Vista?

There are a few ways to go, so contine your "blog" with some more thoughts!

And, Welcome.

Blue Screen Again
jazz_deluxe

Looks so good =D thank you :smileyhappy: [and thanks for the welcome :smileyhappy: ]

Just found my XP Pro SP2 CD , btw .

Can't wait to have the lenovo in my hands and try to put XP on it ...

Btw :

VLC for video , Safari for web surfing , Windows live suite for everything else , and Open Office :smileyhappy:

And , yeah , i hate vista too x)

More news coming [i have to move through france for business from tomorrow to wednesday , but ... I'll be back] so keep on reading/answering , people !

Retired Guru
Duck3

Au revoir!

Blue Screen Again
jazz_deluxe

By the way , i'll try to use nlite on my Windows XP to implement the drivers and the SP2 .

And remove all the applications i don't use [wordpad , the games ... ] and get a cool version of XP ^^

anyway , i'll better go to bed .

A bientôt :smileyhappy:

Blue Screen Again
jazz_deluxe

[ Edited ]

"

Do you plan on trying to keep the Lenovo Rescue & Recovery partition?

So it can be restored to *cough* Vista?   "

Oh , why not keeping it . If i fail installing XP , i'll be happy to have a working computer back ... even if i hate vista .

Why ? because asio4all doesn't works right on it , and i don't know , it's slow and i get latency ...

so it's like ... i hit a note on my guitar ... plugged into guitar rig ... and i can walk the dog , see my gf , and watch the news before i hope to hear that tiny fizzy tone they dare to call a "great tube tone"  ...

but i need to do that to produce some tracks to promote my guitar lessons ...because it sounds better than a karaoke mic in front of my marshall . but if i have 200ms latency , how the hell am i supposed to play in rythm ?

With windows 7 , i ended up with a 50ms latency . Good , but not good enough . On my old beat-up piece of junk , i used to have 25ms , and could actually use guitar rig ... and it was junk (the computer , guitar rig was pretty decent) ...

hope i can have decent latency on a computer ... decent enough for XP :smileyhappy:

Thoughs for the night . I'd bette get to bed ...

A bientôt :smileyhappy:

Blue Screen Again
jazz_deluxe

Hey ,

Back from bordeaux ...

am going to the post office tomorrow to take my computer .

More news soon !

Blue Screen Again
jazz_deluxe

grabbed the computer at the post office . Works fine on Vista ... now , let's try XP !

Blue Screen Again
jazz_deluxe

[ Edited ]

I tried to install XP . 

but i ended up with windows 7 ... 

so the conclusions : Yah , you can install XP on this machine . You got everything ... i did not got through the whole install process since i've lost my serial number ... and so ... i decided to install windows 7 because i did not wanted to spend too much time on my computer. 

Just set the disk drive from AHCI to IDE for XP ... and the install runs smooth , to me . And since you've got all the right drivers , it might be possible to have windows XP on that . 

but ... windows seven runs smooth and installed easily ... 

So i'll go for windows 7 . I've a really decent latency with asio4all , something like 12ms in full duplex @96000Hz . sounds awesome , by the way . [not as awesome as a 100$ sound card , but it sounds better than my packard bell) 

Anyway . It took me 15 minutes to install 7 , and it worked like perfection out of the box , and it runs so fast ... i've never had a computer running that smooth ... so i think i'll stay with windows 7 , safari , Windows live essentials , VLC and my audio programs ...