Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
alex_h

Lenovo 3000 Y410 Battery Issue (Not covered in MIGR-69671)

Hi 

My laptop is  about 15 months old (Purchased Oct28, 07). It was functioning perfectly well till last night, since when the battery has stopped functioning completely. The symptoms are as described in MIGR-69671 (http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-69671), but the battery FRU P/N is 121TS040C.

It seems that this is again the battery issue that is widespread in these models, but how do I get this issue resolved ?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,253
Solutions: 1,344

Re: Lenovo 3000 Y410 Battery Issue (Not covered in MIGR-69671)

The warranty on battery is 12 months.....

but may i ask what brand is your battery (i.e. sony, sanyo or panasonic) and how many charge cycle has it gone through??? 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Paper Tape
alex_h

Thanks.

I am not sure what brand it is. It does not explicitly state on the battery. It has the following numbers on the battery:

GC020009020-!00-079C-02022

AT39EB06729276

ARU P/N 121TS040C

ASM P/N BATIGT30L6

It must have gone between 150-200 charge cycles so far ( one every 2-3 days). It dont use it on a full time, just to check email, etc.

I understand the concept of battery memory (i.e. the battery slowly reducing the chargable capacity), but this went from charging 2-2.5 hours on saturday to not even recognizing the battery in one night.

Many thanks for your support. 

What's DOS?
intuition

I have exactly the same problem with my Lenovo 3000 Y410, that I bought in November 2007. My my battery stopped working suddenly one night and I cant use my laptop without a power cord. The system shows 'battery 94% - not charging'. I want to know if this problem can be fixed, and if not, if I can buy a replacement.

I would like to know the costs and where I could buy this battery in New York, IF the issue cannot be resolved.

What's DOS?
BB88

I just encountered the same problem on my Y410 a couple days ago. I bought it in Feb 2008. Now we really need to make complaints to Lenovo and get a recall on this.

What's DOS?
bhuynh

Hi, I bought my lenovo in feb-mar 2008 and its been running great...until 5 hours ago. I understand the battery memory and cycles, so I take really good care of my battery. As usual, I plugged in my AC connection to the wall to charge my battery and once it was done charging 100% I removed my plug because I was going to move to a different room. That's when it all went wrong as I proceeded to remove my AC plug my computer shut down. My computer no longer recognized my battery. Somewhat. As of now, my computer can only run with the AC adapter on and when I put my battery in it says that its fully charged at 100% but once i remove my AC cord it shuts down...

I concur with the previous post because not me but several others seem to have this problem with the Y410 batteries. A complaint should be filed and lenovo should definitely look into this and issue a recall. I was pro-lenovo all my life because of the quality of their laptops but with this issue going on, i'm second doubting my next purchase of laptop .... 

What's DOS?
yreddy

Same issue here. Battery stopped working after a year or so. I used to like Lenovo. Not after having these troubles. Leonvo should get battery replaced.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

All,

The type of symptoms that are being described on this thread and elsewhere in the forum are the result of the protection circuit in the battery (like a fuse) triggering.   Often this is a case of cell imbalance.

Without the protection circuit, a battery might continue to work in a degraded manner, but could exhibit a thermal event leading to damage to the system, property damage, or personal injury.  For safety reasons, these protection circuits are included in Lenovo laptop batteries.

Because this is the standard mechanism, any of the batteries so equipped can exhibit this symptom.  Lenovo warranties batteries for a period of 12 months.  The symptom is common across batteries, even though the internal conditions that triggered it could vary.

Contact service for warranty replacements, or if outside warranty, you can purchase a replacement as an Option on the Lenovo website through this link here.   You can also search the web for other sources for 43R1955.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
alex_h

Hi Mark,

Thanks for your response. It was great to see someone at Lenovo respond to the issue after one full year. Nice trick since all the Lenovo Y410s will be out of warranty by now.

Lenovo has to take responsbility for the faulty design. The Y410 series ( and the later versions also, I am sure) get really, really hot. Now, I own a HP and and a MacBook and the Lenovo is the warmest of them all. I am sure that the fuse triggering is caused not by an external factor, but due to the laptop heating so much.

Anyways, much water has passed under the bridge since I originally posted the question. You will be happy to know that I am a happy Mac user now and will never ever  buy Lenovo again. You have no idea how many sales from my family and friends Lenovo has lost by not even responding to the problem on time.

Thanks again for your time.

What's DOS?
PINKLAPTOP

Thanks for sharing nice information.

http://Laptop-Pc-Buy.Blogspot.com