Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Token Ring
jojo_b2
Accepted Solution

Lenovo 3000 Y410 enable "Intel VT" support in Bios (Hardware Virtualization)

[ Edited ]
It's been a while since the release of the Y410 and they now have the Santa rosa refresh processors. I was wondering if Lenovo will provide a bios update to be able to enable "Intel VT" support.

I am currently using a y410 with T7300, 4GB ram. I believe the chipset and processor supports the use of Intel VT (hardware Virtualization) option. I use my personal laptop to run Virtual PCs.

One Major reason for my choice of the y410 is that I use a ThinkCentre 8811 with Intel VT option and had a chance to use a T61p (A month with a Nvidia Quadro. =) ) again with Intel VT enabled.

Note: I learned my lesson. Always check the Bios aside from the OS setup. I was pondering an XPS 1330 but ended up with the Y410 as I was able to buy a 19 LCD TV with the saved money. Still wishing a bios upgrade in sight as I don't want to think of it as a bad choice. I saw the XPS 1330 and it had an "Intel VT" option. *SOB* ='/

Message Edited by jojo_b2 on 05-05-2008 02:28 AM
Token Ring
jojo_b2

Re: Lenovo 3000 Y410 enable "Intel VT" support in Bios (Hardware Virtualization)

[ Edited ]
Since no one replied to my post. I just replied to my self. lol! =)

Anyway. I found good news. I just flashed my Bios due to a Critical Bios Patch posting on the Lenovo Support site. My Lenovo Y410 was on of the affected systems.

After patching, I went back to work on my Virtual Server. I support Sharepoint Servers 2003-2007 and have scaled down copies on my laptop. For some unknown reason, I can now enable the "Enable Hardware Assisted Virtualization" check box on the Virtual PC 2007. Eureka!

In my excitement I tried looking at the bios by restarting my PC. But in amazement there was no change on the BIOS GUI. everything was the same no option was there to enable Intel VT. I then went back to windows and checked my VPC and the check box was still there and still modifieable.

I don't know who to thank be this might only be a glitch on the patch. But, Thank you! I am proud to say I can now fully utilize my laptop for Play and WORK! As I use VPCs any performance gain is a real bonus for me. =)

Note:
I am using a Lenovo Y410 with Model 7757-35A: Intel T7300, 4GB, 160 GB, Nvidia 8400M GS. I am not sure if Intel VT will be enabled on other Y410 models. I guess only Lenovo can answer this one. But if this is the case for the Y410 with T8300 processors and Nvidia 8600M VC. This would be another good reason to buy these systems. =)

**Intel VT is only available for some T2xxx, and T7xxx series processors and above (e.g. T2300, T7100, T8100, T9300, etc.) . Browse the Intel home page for a list of Intel VT supported processors.

Message Edited by jojo_b2 on 05-12-2008 10:57 PM

Message Edited by jojo_b2 on 05-12-2008 11:01 PM
Retired Guru
skripatch

Re: Lenovo 3000 Y410 enable "Intel VT" support in Bios (Hardware Virtualization)

Good news. Thanks for coming back and responce :robothappy:
//help will save the world
Paper Tape
joshiap

[ Edited ]

Hi Jojo,

Will it be possible for you to share the file (Patch for BIOS)with me, I am facing the same issue and the udpate patch site is not working as if now, if you can upload the file on to some site like http://yousendit.com (this is free upload) I will be able to slove my problem as well.

Regards,

Apurv

Message Edited by joshiap on 12-09-2008 11:53 PM
Fanfold Paper
dtibet

Hi I am new to this forum. I had read your story with great enthausism because I just bought a Lenova IdeaPad Y550 with the virtiualization in mind though I checked the processor which is Intel Core 2 Duo P8600 that supports the 64-bit extensions and has the VT support  the BIOS as you had indicated in your mail not equipped to set the VT enabling. I was wondering a BIOS update for this machine is also available or might be made available through Lenova. Like to know if you can provide me some more information how to do the resaearch on this? Many thanks..
Fanfold Paper
pkeymolen

You shouldn't need to be doing research on this at all, all it takes is for Lenovo to release a bios update with the "intel vt" option enabled.

But apparenly they can't be bothered. 

Ask yourselve this question: if they don't want to release a bios in which the user can choose to enable or disabel intel VTx, why create a bios where this is disabled by defaul. Why not "enable" it by default?

Maybe they need you to go for the more expensive Thikpads? Anyway, i know I'll nener buy a "low-end" Lenovo again. Nor one of their "Thinpads".

Well done lenovo. Cheerio!!

Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

[ Edited ]

In order to make this happen, you need to contact Tech Support regarding this. They will claim they don't support it. Make sure the tech escalates this to their Supervisor.

BTW, I have a Y550.

Steve

Message Edited by szatkoff on 06-16-2009 09:11 AM
Fanfold Paper
dtibet

Hi thanks for the interest. I am trying as you had suggested. I had contacted them asap and escalated the issue to their

supervisors but got no reply back yet. Have you succeeded anything on your own as I understand you owe a Y550 set. 

Regards

Ali

Blue Screen Again
szatkoff

I can't promise that you will get a reply, but the more people that call and make them aware that we want this enabled on our various laptops, Lenovo might do something about it?
Blue Screen Again
gosen211

I have 3000 Y410 but I do not know what i can do with Intel VT. Any ideas?

Where can i enable it? BIOS only?

-->T60 XP SP3, 1.5GB RAM