Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
CyberCecil

Lenovo B570 video freezing.

My laptop freezes up with the screen showing a garbled, multicolored checkerboard. I have to do a hard reboot afterwards. I have updated all the drivers and the bios. I have installed and run the Lenovo diagnostic software to no effect.

It has been doing this for several weeks and it's getting worse.

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: Lenovo B570 video freezing.

Hello CyberCecil and welcome to community,

The issue seems to be related to hardware fault.

If the laptop is in warranty then kindly contact the support center.

Country or Region

Language

Telephone number

Hours of operation

Supported products

United States

English

1 877 453 6686

24 hours a day 7 days a week

IdeaPad, Lenovo 3000, IdeaCentre

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

Retired Employee
NINE

Hi CyberCecil,

Sorry to hear  that about your machine. However i'd like to know when did this machine started facing the isuue? Was there anything particular or that you installed prior to the freeze happening?

Fanfold Paper
CyberCecil

[ Edited ]

I still have about 60 days warranty left, but I don't have a service center anywhere near me and, since I really need this laptop for my work, I am concerned about how long I will be without it while it's being fixed.

As for when it started doing this, I bought it last July and it had froze once or twice during the first six months but it has only been the last few weeks when it freezes rather often. I have not noticed a pattern to the freezing. It has happened while surfing the web, while watching a movie or even when I was just using MS Office.

Retired Employee
NINE

hi CyberCecil,

As i'm looking into your case further, could you try running your task manager and check the the memory usage for the processes. Seems to me that when you launch the application it appears that an application is triggered to user full usage of the either memory or the CPU. 

What i suggest in this case, open the task manager first and then monitor the memory and CPU usage of the each application you mention. 

Do let me know of the results and let dive into this further to investigate

Fanfold Paper
CyberCecil

[ Edited ]

I had the task manager running and open while whatching a video. The cpu was at 23% and the memory was at 1.40GB when it froze. Let me know if you need me to try again with different task manager option visible.

EDIT: I just tried it again. This time the task manager was open to the processes tab. Windows Media Player was at 13%. The next highest process was at 5% with only one other process at 1%.

Here is an image of what is happening:

[IMG]http://i46.tinypic.com/1olhqu.jpg[/IMG]

Mod edit:  Converted pic to link per forum rule, 50k limit on pics

Retired Employee
NINE

hi CyberCecil,

Base on what you've shown me as tanuj have mentioned, could be a harware issue. I'm just wondering does this happen whaen ur connected only with the power adapter or with the battery only. I've ssen something similar to your issue on a diffrent laptop when it is connected to poweradapter and when connected through batter everything works fine.

There is a possiblility you may be facing the same issues. 

But do let me know as i'd would like to check with support teams here.

Fanfold Paper
CyberCecil

[ Edited ]

I tried running on just battery power. I let movies play until the battery ran down to around 7%. It took about 2 hours. I did this several times and it didn't freeze while on battery only. Once, after I had to plug it back in and let the battery charge, it froze after about two hours and only after the battery was fully charged..

I am going to try battery only again, but this time I will just surf the web and try to extend the battery life to see if the extra time on the battery will cause it to freeze.

EDIT: It froze only 25 minutes after I plugged it back in this time.

Retired Employee
NINE

hi CyberCecil,

I believe that issue that ur facing is becoming more of a hardware issue rather than a configuration of the software. You mentioned earlier that you have updated all the drivers. By any chance did you update the powermanagement software for lenovo?

The reason i'm asking is that this only happens when ur plugged to AC and when running on Batt it appear to cause it. Could be a possibility there. Do try updating the powermanagement and check for the changes. If the issue still persist i would highly recommend to send the machine in to service as there may be a conflict somewhere in the hardware.

Do let me know how it goes

Fanfold Paper
CyberCecil

The Lenovo power management software was already up to date. However, when checking the Lenovo site and while on just the battery it froze less than ten minutes after booting up.

So it freezes whether I am plugged in or using the battery. I need my laptop for work, is there any idea how long getting it fixed will take?