Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
rm516

Re: Leno G460 - Touchpad Problem

[ Edited ]

Response  on touch pad was so unpredictable...

It took me less than 1 day to decide , this >>> G460 is not for me because of touch-pad.

Response  on touch pad was so unpredictable..

You had to press multiple times  for any link to respond.

Forget about copy & paste function

you had to press too hard

Did not know where was left & right button...(too little area rather points for response)

Moved finger on touch pad and arrow was not responsive (many times). 

I have other laptops (including Idea center) with no issues.

Regardless, the touchpad was as bad on battery or AC

Last but not least :

Lenovo Customer Service is as bad as Touch pad on the Laptop. They acknowledged knowing about this  issue but charged me 15 % restock charges, saying that its their policy ! Well very stupid policy , if you know G460 has touch pad issues.They provided me a contact number with missing digit..speaks volume about customer service !

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,308
Solutions: 283

[ Edited ]

rm516,

Thanks for the update, and I'm sorry that you had such a bad experience.   I played with a G560 today for about 15 mins, and that certainly does not make me an expert on this, but I wanted to get a feel for what it was like given the comments here.

I agree that that design of this touch pad has a different feel compared to those on prior models like the G530 and G550, and it definitely takes a bit of getting used to - not having separate buttons.  I found that the mouse was workable but did seem a bit erratic from time to time.  There were a couple occasions where it completely froze on me for a few seconds, and these seemed related to the launch of an application on the system - some other application taking over.  Kinda weird - need to spend some more time on it.  Is this the hang condition you are experiencing?

I was really amazed with all the settings available to customize the way the touchpad works.  One that seemed to make a difference in responsiveness was the palm tracking setting within the elan smart pad control panel.

Lowering the slider toward minimum seemed to make things better in my experience.  I'm not saying this takes care of everything, but I think it's worth exploring.  I liked the vertical edge scrolling along the right side of the touchpad too - it seems like it might take a bit of getting used to, but still pretty cool.

161i8F9C8B4E027737E1

What settings in this panel have members here tried?

Control panels -> Mouse -> Options I believe, and then this elan smart pad tab.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Blue Screen Again
wongyfd

hi

I have the same issue as you. Bought a G460 for a week, then on the 6th night, mouse icon suddenlly stop moving. No response after serveral reboot. Prior to that also having the same experience of irregular responsive to the touch pad.

Send in to Service centre in Funan. 5 days after 1 tech guy called to ask me what was wrong!! I told him the mouse pad. But he reverted that there is no issue. Strange. He suggested to continue monitor.

Another 3 days gone, a tech guy called again to say that due to part shortage, he has to hold back my notebook to replace the mouse pad. Till date, 2 weeks after sent in to service centre, no news.

Really disappointed with the product and service. This is the first time i bought a lenovo laptop and probably will be my last.

Comparing to my last experience from Dell, it was like a heaven and hell... Doorstep collection and deliver , 1 to 1 replacement without question.

- douglas

Paper Tape
randomthoughts

hi,

I also have the same issue.  The touchpad is absolutely horrible.

I have tried changing various settings (yes, including the palm tracking setting), but none of them helped.

Just try to drag and drop a few files and you'll see what I mean.   Around 20% of the time, the left button won't respond (won't register a click)

The right button is even worse.  I got it to work less than 50% of the time

Here's a quick diagram of what I mean the ====='s represent the touchpad "buttons"

-----=====-----------------=====---------

^^^^^^

My right click would work at the areas marked with ^'s and only if I push hard.  It is ridiculous.

It looks like my only options so far would be to return with a 15% restocking fee or ship it somewhere for "repairs"?  Somehow, I don't think repairs would do much since I see a lot of people with this problem. 

I hope I see a fix for this within a month, if now, I'll start posting negative reviews for it on every review site I can find (sites where Lenovo can't remove our comments).  I hope others buyer would do the same.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
rm516

<<<I'll start posting negative reviews for it on every review site I can find (sites where Lenovo can't remove our comments). I hope others buyer would do the same.>>>...
Sad part is Lenovo admits problem but charges 15% restock fee..
Ridiculous... If you write about it , Lenovo delete messages.. Who they are scared off ? Ripped off customers who will never buy Lenovo products anyway or tell others not to buy Lenovo products or even Chinese made products.. Bad company !

Agree with you, We have do something... First thing Bad Mouth (correctly) this touch pad and Lenovo !
andyP
Topics: 182
Kudos: 711
Solutions: 631

The post that was removed from the thread blatantly contravened the forum rules. You can rant and rave all you like, but keep it within the rules.

As you already returned your laptop, and are not in a position to answer Mark's question, leads to the question as to why you continue to partake in the discussion.

No Trolling

or deliberate disruption of discussion . Inflammatory post or thread titles are unacceptable and may be moderated. Inflammatory, or unnecessarily argumentative postings will be considered trolling. Extended debate with moderators or admins over their decisions with regard to moderation of posts is considered trolling. Do not subvert threads. No vendetta posts, or online campaigning. It is acceptable to state concern for how a particular Lenovo policy, performance, or procedure does or does not meet the expectation of a particular member, but it is not acceptable to use this forum in an attempt to broadly organize or incite members en mass, to cancel orders, return systems, undertake legal action or otherwise disrupt the normal business processes of Lenovo.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
Nagelfar

Re: Lenovo G460 - Touchpad Problem

I have the same problem as all the others..

The problem as I see it is that the buttons are part of the touchpad. when double tapping either left or right button, it doubleclicks as if I've done it on the regular pad.

When holding your finger on left button which you would normally do when drag/dropping the cursor either stalls or twitches around the desktop. 

when holding a finger on the left button and pressing the right one it makes a left click.

Shouldn't there be a way to disable touch on the buttons so they only are able to click not tap?

I find it extremely annoying that  I can't have my finger on the buttons while using the touchpad.

POSSIBLE SOLUTION: I saw different posts about touchpad tweaking, and it seems that Synaptics has made a bunch of customization tools for their product I.E. TAP ZONE adjustments.

Can't Lenovo/ELAN come up with a tool that let the user configure tap zones? or perhaps making the buttons tap free all together? 

Paper Tape
moreliator

[ Edited ]

In response to mark's comments:

I agree that that design of this touch pad has a different feel compared to those on prior models like the G530 and G550, and it definitely takes a bit of getting used to - not having separate buttons.  I found that the mouse was workable but did seem a bit erratic from time to time.  There were a couple occasions where it completely froze on me for a few seconds, and these seemed related to the launch of an application on the system - some other application taking over.  Kinda weird - need to spend some more time on it.  Is this the hang condition you are experiencing?

Mark,

This is precisely the problem I am having.  I bought the G460 during the back to school sale because I need a laptop for medical school.  I was hesitant to buy because I read about the touchpad problems, but I normally use a USB mouse so I figured I wouldn't mind it.

Well, turns out it's really the mouse in general that is driving me crazy.  It's like you reported--it seems to lag and stall erratically, but especially when something is loaded or when you hover over parts of a web site that contain text or a table. I fooled around with the mouse settings making it more and less sensitive and that is not the problem.  My mouse works great on my old laptop, but it is noticeably frustrating on this machine.  My previous laptops have always been dells, but I had heard such good things about Lenovo I ventured for the switch...unfortunately not a good experience so far.  Really like this machine but can't stand this mouse issue...again, it's not even a touch pad issue for me but rather this "hang issue" of the mouse that you talked about.  Seems to me that the up and down movements lag the most, sideways seems fine. It just doesn't glide consistently...it's erratic and will be ridiculously frustrating. Any suggestions Mark?

Thanks,

Rick

dhi
Paper Tape
dhi

[ Edited ]

My wife bought a G460 yesterday and I was delegated to set it up.

I really did not want to complain about her new computer - it is a really sweet machine - but just hated the trackpad experience. But after an evening using it to set up networking, syncing stuff for her...  I turned to her to ask what she thought about the trackpad and she put on a distressed look... she didn't like it either.

It's not much fun when you've bought a new laptop when one of the key input devices makes you want to throw it out the window.

It really is terrible.

It comes down to these points: -

1. The integrated buttons are almost unusable. The surface of them is partially touch sensitive so when you push down on them you end up with the pointer sliding off the thing you're clicking.

2. So to prevent this happening you click at the very bottom of the button... but click as hard or soft or often as you like the bottom edge doesn't right click. You are FORCED to right click near the touch sensitive area.

3. Left click is a little better in that you can click further to the bottom edge away from the sensitive area - but this may be a function of there being no pop up to easy test the zone where the clicking works. In general I'd say there was a small difference but enough that it is frustrating to click on the button and for NOTHING to happen.

4. Tracking controls are very poor. I'm used to being able to control acceleration and the like to manage the way a sweep across the trackpad moves the pointer. In fact I'm used to flicking on a trackpad rather than swiping carefully. This trackpad doesn't track in a pleasant manner.

5. The worst - the interface freezes up when you are in the middle of an action. Say you are sweeping your finger in a drag and drop and the pointer freezes. No matter what you do with your finger the pointer won't move. You have to lift your finger from the trackpad to get it to re-recognise that I'm dragging.

This is both annoying and dangerous when dragging and dropping files.

I've disabled tap as it is just impossible when the pointer is frozen.

These all added up make the trackpad experience on the G460 unbearable. The worst of it is that I don't think it is a hardware failure - I think it is just a poorly thoughout out design with so many points of failure that people should be fired for speccing this trackpad.

As requested here are the details of the unit: -

A. Windows 7 preinstalled Intel Corei5 M450 2.4Ghz with 4 GB RAM

B. Running on AC power

C. Turned off tap in control panel

D. Very easy to reproduce - try clicking along the bottom edge of the buttons - this is an obvious reproducible error. The other issues may be somewhat subjective - but they add up to a horrible user experience.

We will be looking at ways we can get rid of this machine and change to another model. And to think she chose the Lenovo over the Acer as being a more reliable option. Oh what a shame.

David

Edited to add information about the model number

Paper Tape
moreliator

Just to update my situation...been using the computer a few days now and the mouse has gotten way better.  I uninstalled a lot of the software that came with the computer and I took off a lot of startup programs...not sure if that did anything but for some reason the mouse hasn't been lagging at all like it was.

I'm still a bit worried because if it ever reverts to how it was acting it will be unbearable.  99% of the time I use a usb mouse so I don't mind the touchpad too much...I'm just worried that the mouse could act up again.  Love the system minus this hiccup...any updates mark?  i mean it's possible I'm just getting accustomed to the mouse, but I don't think so...it was pretty unbearable before.