Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
apahna4ka
Accepted Solution

Lenovo G550 laptop - red, blue, yellow specks and lines on screen

Hello,

I have a 2 year old Lenovo G550 laptop, system model 20023 ( Dual-Core CPU T4300 2,10Ghz, 3,00GB RAM) running 32-bit Win 7 Home Premium OS with graphic card Mobile Intel(R) 4 Series Express Chipset Family.

Month ago, I started getting 2 vertical lines on my screen, which change colors and tend to disappear when I tilt it. Recently, problem graduated to red, blue, yellow specks all over the screen. Tilting no longer works, but I noticed a definite relationship with the degree of pressure on the case. When I push hard enough on the left spot below the case (where hard disk is located), the problem resolves completely. I also tried plugging another monitor in and there seems to be no problem either. Please, help.

Community Moderator
yigit

Re: Lenovo G550 laptop - red, blue, yellow specks and lines on screen

hi apahna4ka
your problem may be related to ram stick(s).
can you remove/replace or sway them to check if it works?

http://www.ki-themes.com
Paper Tape
apahna4ka

Thank you for quick reply, when I switched the 2GB stick with the 1GB, I get a black screen with no access to OS, I put them back on places, but lines and specks still show. It doesn't  work.

Community Moderator
yigit

can you try to use the ram sticks separately? ( one ram stick for each time )

Paper Tape
apahna4ka

2GB ram stick only in bottom slot - > OS starts with 2GB installed memory, problem persists

2GB ram stick in bottom slot, 1GB  ram stick in upper slot -> OS starts with 3GB installed memory, problem persists

Any other case (2GB ram stick only in upper slot, 1GB ram stick only in bottom slot, 1 GB ram stick only in upper slot) -> black screen

Community Moderator
yigit

it's probably graphic card issue. contact lenovo support line for further informations ( you'll need to ship your laptop back to service for possible mainboard replacement )

Paper Tape
apahna4ka

great news :smileyhappy: thank you again

Community Moderator
yigit

i know it doesn't sound good but, like i said, possible graphic card issue. if your warranty expired, you can contact local support center but if it's mainboard issue like i said, it will cost lots of money so consider to buy new one.

Paper Tape
apahna4ka

Graphic card issue sounded highly unlikely with the external monitor image appearing to be normal. I tried reseating the lcd cable and it fixed the problem.

Paper Tape
idejesus

My laptop started out with random lines appearing around the lower center portion of the screen mow I only have the right side of the screen available for viewing. When I connect to a external monitor all looks fine. So what do I have a bad card or bad LCD panel?