Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
za1407
Accepted Solution

Lenovo G770: OneKey Recovery doesn't work because of resizing the C: partition?

[ Edited ]

I am trying to restore my Lenovo G770 to its original state (factory settings).

I tried to use the System Recovery option from the OneKey Recovery menu (which is the same as reaching it whilst booting the computer), but what that does is it restarts the computer a few times and keeps it exactly how it was before trying to do so. 

I also tried making the CDs by choosing Create Recovery Disc from the OneKey Recovery menu but I am given a message which says: This program cannot find the initial backup image. This function is currently unavailable. 

After looking at different threads, I realized it was because I resized the C: partition of the hard disk.

Initially, when I first bought my laptop, the hard drive had 4 partitions by default which are of the following (My hard drive size came as 750GB): 

1. The System Reserved 100MB partition (which is hidden and obviously in every computer by default). 

2. The C: Drive partition (I don't know how big it was)

3. The D: Drive partition (Again, I don't know how big this was)

4. Finally, the OEM Reserved (Lenovo) 14.5GB partition (which is where all the recovery files are kept) 

Now, I didn't mess with the OEM Reserved partition at all, but what I did was I deleted the D: drive and made the C: Drive bigger, so that I can use my space more efficiently. Again, the problem is probably caused because of resizing the C: partition. 

My question is: How can I make it so that the OneKey Recovery works properly, so that I am able to restore the PC back to factory settings or make Factory default recovery discs to do this?

I guess this can be done by resizing the C: drive again to how big it was at first, but I don't have a clue how big it was. If anyone knows how big the C: drive was when it comes, it would be great (Exact model is Lenovo G770-1037. You can click here to see the exact specs of the laptop). 

OR

It would be even better if there's a way I can keep the C: drive the size I want and still make it work.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

topmahof
Topics: 37
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 239

Re: Lenovo G770: OneKey Recovery doesn't work because of resizing the C: partition?

[ Edited ]

Hi za1407 and welcome to the community,

When you deleted D: you deleted the drivers and applications that OneKey needs to restore to factory specs.  There were also hidden files on there it also needed.

At this point, just resizing the partitions isn't going to make OneKey work.

The only way to get it back to factory is to get yourself a set of restore discs.  This will resize the partitions and put everything back the way it was.

Here's a thread where we were experimenting with the partitions.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
za1407

Re: Lenovo G770: OneKey Recovery doesn't work because of resizing the C: partition?

[ Edited ]

@topmahof

I remember, I kept a copy of those files before deleting D:, but I kept it in C:, just temporarily and never got round to sticking it in my external hard drive. Unfortunately, a few days ago, I got the BSOD (Blue Screen Of Death) and I clean installed Windows 7. But after re-installing, I figured I wanted to restore the PC to factory settings, which is when this problem arose. 

To be honest, I think it's pretty silly that you can't resize the partitions without something going wrong. Who wants the sizes of partitions the way someone else gave it?

Also, if I get myself the recovery discs and recover, will OKR (OneKey Recovery) start working again?

And will it resize the partitions back to the state it initially was or will it leave the partitions I chose the way I want it?

Thanks.

topmahof
Topics: 37
Kudos: 368
Solutions: 239

OKR will work again if you restore with the discs.

It will resize the partitions back the way it was.

How I do it is if I get a new machine, I burn recovery discs right away.  Then, once I get Windows up and running the way I want with all my programs in there, I save a full backup to an external hard drive.  Then, if the hard drive fails, or Windows gets corrupted or whatever, I use the discs to restore to factory and then use the backup to put everything back the way I want it.

Then I can delete partitions and resize anything I want knowing that with the discs and the backup, I can put it back if I have to.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Fanfold Paper
za1407

[ Edited ]

Do you think I'll be able to get the Recovery Discs free of charge since I've still got warranty? 

Instead of them sending a shipping container, taking it back, fixing it and then sending it to me, I thought it'd be best if they could just send me the recovery discs without me having to pay, so that I can fix the problem myself. 

Sorry, I'm just asking an opinion because in the UK, the phone lines are closed on Sundays and I'm curious. 

Thanks for your help!

EDIT: I'm not accepting your answer as a solution right now because I'm not sure if the thread will close and you won't be able to reply.

Community Moderator
yigit

warranty doesn't cover software issues so they won't send the disks for free. you'll probably have to pay 40-45$ ( 20-25 pound ) to buy the disks.

due to my absence, i may not reply your posts and/or personal messages

http://www.ki-themes.com
Fanfold Paper
za1407

[ Edited ]

Just here to confirm that resizing the C: partition to its original size doesn't make a difference to OKR. 

I used a the Partition Recovery tool in MiniTool Partition Wizard to recover the lost D: partition in the hard drive which meant C: was its original size, along with any other partition in the drive. It successfully recovered the D: partition and I restarted the PC, but OKR still doesn't work.

Community Moderator
yigit

it's better to call lenovo support line and ship your laptop back to service cause the disks may not work. if you don't want to use one key recover function, you can search the forum for legal windows iso so you can install clean windows.

Fanfold Paper
za1407

[ Edited ]

Yes, I did call them to repair it; the delivery box is on its way.

And, I already did clean install windows 7 (and all the drivers), but the reason I want it back to factory settings is because I want everything to work including OKR, and I kinda want the discs too, incase anything happens in the future.

Community Moderator
yigit

no need to buy the discs, you can create them when you get your computer back ( after resetting harddisk to its default )