03-14-2011 11:35 PM
I purchased the N100 3000 in 2006. No complaints except for a very crappy battery.
I am planning to upgrade my PC (as against buying a new machine) and max it to the ground given that the tech in this baby is almost neanderthal.
Main aim is usage as an HTPC.
These are my plans
1.) CPU - Ive gone through the forum and I understand that I can bump up my processor to T7200(2Ghz) as against the current T5500. Havent seen any metrics online so Im not sure what kind of gain/%increase I can expect from this investment.
Has anyone tried overclocking the T5500 or T700? Is it worth pushing the CPU beyond its specs?
2) Battery (incase I need to move around) - Planning to upgrade to the 9-Cell (40Y8317) for added hours. The current inbuilt battery (which I purchased with the laptop circa 2006) sucked from day 1. Ive never truly been mobile with this PC, but I want this to change.
Ive also heard abt the Thinkpad Ultrabay Battery (at the cost of a lost internal DVD combo drive) which can add on a further 3 hours, but Im not sure if this Laptop is compatible.
3) HDD - I want to put in a 7200rpm but Im not sure how I can go about searching for one. Any suggestions are more than welcome.
4) PC warmup - I think its perhaps coz I have not cleaned this PC for the last 5 years. Its time I broke her open and loosened the cobwebs
5) Graphics - I think this cannot be done, but Im sure you gurus always have a way out.
Any other suggestions are more than welcome.
Main aims for upgrading -
Watching HD movies, better browsing experience, faster response of MS Office applications, Antivirus, multitasking
Looking forward to hearing from you.
03-15-2011 04:09 AM
03-15-2011 06:31 AM - edited 03-15-2011 06:32 AM
1. Probably not a huge gain to install T7200 unless gaming.
CPU is normally running at less than full speed anyhow.
2. 9 cell battery good idea, but heavier and fairly expensive for a good one.
New battery a good plan, regardless. Ultrabay idea-I doubt it will work.
3. Any SATA laptop hard drive, no thicker than 2.5 mm.
7200rpm runs a bit warmer, battery life is a bit shorter, somewhat louder,
some performance gain.
4. Yes, very important to remove the panel over the fan/heatsink and
clean things out! Here is a link to videos for N100: Videos
5. No upgrade for graphics, sorry. 3 GB of memory May help, put 2 GB module
in bottom slot. But then you don't have Dual Channel memory, so maybe no gain.
I did all these upgrades on a N100 I had, cpu, memory, hd, battery,
and in the end....It was fun, but not cost effective. Depends on your cost.