Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
zeebers7475

Loose Power Connector

Hey all,

I have a quick question about my Lenovo G470. The power connector in the laptop is loose and moving freely. So if I try to plug in the charger, then the connector moves back deeper into the laptop. Now, my question is did a random piece holding the power connector break off the Laptop chassis?  Because I'm fine opening the computer and putting the power connector back in its place.

-Kristian

Retired Guru
Duck3

Re: Loose Power Connector

For help with dis-assembly,
Get the HMM (Hardware Maintenance Manual) Here:

http://consumersupport.lenovo.com/us/en/UserGuide/Guide_show_1319029486729.html

Not absolutely sure, but most likely you are correct,
and whatever holds the jack in place has come loose,
or broke.
Paper Tape
zeebers7475

Ok Thank you for your help.

Retired Guru
Duck3

[ Edited ]

I usually use a thick epoxy like JB weld or Loctite
if there is no metal part holding the jack in place.

If in warranty, of course epoxy is not advised!

Videos:  (Power connector under "Fru Removal and Replacement")

http://lenovo.f.relayware.com/content/CourseWarePublic/6638/course%20files/index.html

Paper Tape
zeebers7475

Ok, I might just try the epoxy. The thing about the warranty is that I have the basic wear and tear. And if I send the product in and they realize that the chassis is broken it wont work. I've also checked that video before, but the camera is too far, and it is hard to tell what is holding the port. Should I still send in the laptop or should I open it and fix it my self?

Cleo_Lenovo
Topics: 81
Kudos: 264
Solutions: 136

Hi zeebers7475,

I suggest you send in for repair as it's still in warranty.

- Cleo

WW Social Media
T61, T410, x240, Z500, Flex 14

Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
What's DOS?
FingersCrossed

Reviving this old thread.

The same thing has just happened to my G470. It's half a year out of warranty so I'm trying to fix it myself.

From the hardware maintainence manual, it appears that the AC power adaptor jack is plugged in rather than soldered onto the motherboard. Can anyone confirm that?

Does anyone know how the power connector is attached to the rest of the machine? I'm wondering if it's as simple as just putting it back into a bracket of some sort or if it's going to be more complex than that.

Any other advice/ suggestion is also welcomed.