Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
dbss_ireland

N200 Battery Plugged In But Not Charging.

[ Edited ]
Hi all,

Seems to be the same problem that existed with the N100 series where the battery would not charge even though it was recognised. I called the Tech Support here in Dublin (Scotland is where I got though), and they were pretty useless to be honest. All he kept telling me was that I was just out of warranty and I had to call a Lenovo Business Partner. When I asked where my nearest one would be he said that he wasn't allowed to specify one Partner in particular even though I was looking for my nearest. Doesn't make sense.

Basically it looks like even though it is the same problem that has been recognised on the N100 series and some of the Thinkpads, they don't want to seem to recognise this as being the same.

The laptop runs fine on AC, but when plugged in the battery indicator flashes orange between 2 and 5 times then stops showing anything. Same if I put the battery in when running on mains (I know this isn't the best thing to do but I am just trying to get the thing working).

The battery was working fine the last time I used it about 3 or 4 days ago, then when I powered on yesterday I noticed that the indicator wasn't showing.

Has anybody got any ideas other than have to get a new battery? Is there anything else I can do even?

Laptop is:
0769-B2G
Vista Business SP1

BIOS:
68ET35WW  v.3.03

Any help appreciated and thanks in advance.

Message Edited by dbss_ireland on 06-16-2008 09:29 AM
Retired Guru
skripatch

Re: N200 Battery Plugged In But Not Charging.

It must be replaced in service center. Call your service provider or locate it here.
//help will save the world
Serial Port
dbss_ireland

When you say must be, do you mean that it does seem to be the same problem as the N100 and some ThinkPad batteries and should be replaced under the extended warranty scheme?

Thanks for the suggestion by the way, I will get on to one or more of the dealers.
Retired Guru
skripatch

[ Edited ]
Yes, I mean exactly this one.
If there's no way to solve the case by software methods (either new drivers or BIOS) than it's about hardware. If it is about hardware it must be replaced or repaired.

Some time ago I saw a video - some representative of Google participated in open lecture sessions about Google in the Lomonosov University. The one of the most interesting things he said was that "we do not think of whether there'll be a hardware failure, we only think when it happens; hardware malfunction is not an accident - it's a law". So, any hardware breaks. The question of luck is to happen when you're under warranty or already do not use this hardware.
You were not lucky, my condolences...
it's really a pity but I myself when something like this happens do not feel nervous at all - if it's under warranty it will be repaired, if not - I buy a new one with better charasterstics and less price.

ADDITIONAL EDIT:
Sorry, I mistook your point. I meant ONLY warranty period, not extended one. As I understand, N100 situation was an exclusion - it was special case. Anyway, after a year of intensive work loses about 30-40 of capacity... Great opportunity to buy a one with longer lifetime... Still my condolences...

Message Edited by skripatch on 06-17-2008 06:44 PM
//help will save the world
Serial Port
dbss_ireland

Thanks skripatch.

Looks like I will have to fork out for a new battery. Though I don't understand how it can go from working fine and having 100% capacity when charged, to absolutely nothing, basically overnight.

The battery was only a year old and didn't get a whole lot of use as if I was going to be on mains for a long period of time then the battery got taken out as I trusted the mains coming into my house.

:smileysad:
Serial Port
dbss_ireland

[ Edited ]
Well, I have bought a new battery online to replace this one.

Any suggestion from Mark_Lenovo on the subject? I am just wondering as to why, even though I and a couple of others it seems are having the same battery issues as those with the N100 series (which seem to use the same batteries as us,) we are not entitled to the same extended battery warranty and replacement.

It seems very unfair as someone else pointed out. I am considering selling my laptop now once the replacement battery arrives and going with the competition. I bought this particular model because I presumed it would have the same quality and reliability as IBM, but it seems that all Lenovo carried over was IBM's contacts list.

I didn't think of it at first but my problems arrived straight out of the box with a botched install of Vista and have had little issues here and there ever since. My previous laptop, a Dell Inspiron 6000 is still going well 4 years later although the battery is only now showing signs of needing replacement. Yet here I am only a short while out of a 1 Year warranty needing a brand new battery due to shoddy build rather than over-use.

I am very disappointed in myself that I mistook Lenovo for being a quality company in the same vein that IBM was known for.

:smileysad:

Message Edited by dbss_ireland on 06-20-2008 05:29 AM

Message Edited by dbss_ireland on 06-20-2008 05:31 AM
Paper Tape
Mortis360

Just got my N200, worked fine on saturday, but now the battery is not charging.  The same problem as the N100, same battery?!

Serial Port
dbss_ireland

It is the same battery that is used in the N100 series but Lenovo refuse to acknowledge this, so they can brush the N200 users off without having to help. Disgusting if you ask me.
Paper Tape
Mortis360

[ Edited ]
So they wont help us that got problems with the battery at the N200?! Well, this is for sure first and last time I'm getting a Lenovo if thats right!
Message Edited by Mortis360 on 08-20-2008 02:38 AM
Bit Torrent
wjli2

[ Edited ]

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?lndocid=MIGR-69671

Check if your battery is 'Sanyo'.

Message Edited by wjli2 on 08-20-2008 07:41 PM