Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
bpandya

One key recovery is not working with Windows8

Hi All, 

I made a big mistake when installed Windows8 trial version to my G460. And now I want to restore the factory settings. I know it can be done with OKR but it's not competible with Windows8 and hence won't work. 

Can anyone please guide me to get rid of this windows8? 

Thousand thanks in advance

tanujhanda
Topics: 3
Kudos: 80
Solutions: 65

Re: One key recovery is not working with Windows8

Hello bpandya

I understand you installed Windows 8 preview and now want to revert to the pre-installed Windows 7

Once the partition structure gets modified the hard disk recovery corrupts, if you have created the recovery disc then you can use them and restore the Operating System.

Please try running OneKey Recovery from hard disk. Power off the laptop then press Nova ( Rescue key ) instead of pressing power button and check if it works.

If OneKey Recovery do not work and you do not have the recovery disc then you can purchase the recovery disc from service center.

Please contact the support center to get the details on purchasing the recovery disc.

Country or Region

Language

Telephone number

Hours of operation

Supported products

United States

English

1 877 453 6686

24 hours a day 7 days a week

IdeaPad, Lenovo 3000, IdeaCentre

Best Regards,

Tanuj

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution".! This will help the rest of the Community with similar issues identify the verified solution and benefit from it.

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!

What's DOS?
whizzy

For all peoples who have installed win8 and want to recover back to win7

I discovered, with the help of Google and Bing, that this is pretty much a universal problem, but I couldn’t find a solution anywhere. So, in case it might be of use, I’m providing here the details of how I solved it. It’s not a very elegant solution, but unfortunately I know of no other. It does involve editing the partition table, so USE IT AT YOUR OWN RISK. You can really get yourself in a mess if you screw up.

In order to access the laptop’s  System Recovery software, I set the recovery partition to be the “active” partition. This means that it will automatically be loaded at startup, so don’t do it until you are absolutely sure you want to (and are ready to) restore to factory default settings. From the command prompt (type cmd in the start menu to find it), rundiskpart. You’ll get the following prompt:

DISKPART>

Here, type “select disk 0” and press Enter. It will let you know disk 0 is now selected. Type “list partition” to get a list of partitions. You’re interested in the one whose type is “OEM,” in my case Partition 3. Select that partition with the command “select partition 3” substituting 3 with the appropriate partition number. Use the command “active” to mark this partition as the active partition. Now, once you reboot your computer, you’ll find yourself in the Recovery software. Below are the steps I took inside of DiskPart:

DISKPART> select disk 0

Disk 0 is now the selected disk.

DISKPART> list partition

Partition ###  Type              Size     Offset

-------------  ----------------  -------  -------

Partition 1    Primary            200 MB  1024 KB

Partition 2    Primary            254 GB   201 MB

Partition 0    Extended            28 GB   254 GB

Partition 4    Logical             28 GB   254 GB

Partition 3    OEM                 14 GB   283 GB

DISKPART> select partition 3

Partition 3 is now the selected partition.

DISKPART> active

DiskPart marked the current partition as active.

What's DOS?
tuma

Re: For all peoples who have installed win8 and want to recover back to win7

I followed your direction, then when I restart my computer, it show "X:\Windows\System32>" I tried sevral helps online for this problem but didnt work, then I try to reverse what I have dont by starting over your way but inactive the partition 3. Now the problem is even worse, it show "Broadcom UNDI PXE-2.1 v11.4.0......" Now what can I do to save my computer? :smileysad:(((((((((

What's DOS?
ingsist_erik

[ Edited ]

This worked perfect looks and smoothwith a 9.9 hirens cd you start the machine, you enter particions tools, choose fdisk it or go well, looking for the hidden and active partition, reboot after you turn the machine and must start the recovery, the recovery reboot to finish the machine and ready as it left the factory

-----

mira esto me funciono perfecto y sin problemas

con un cd de hirens 9.9 inicias la maquina, entras a particions tools, en ella seleccionas fdisk o al go asi, buscas la particion oculta y la activas, despues te sales reinicias la maquina y debera iniciar el recovery, al terminar el recovery reinicias la maquina y listo como salio de fabrica

espero te sirva

What's DOS?
malli1246

HI All,

I am also a victim of problems with many preloaded softwares and drivers in lenovo systems after windows 8 upgrade. One key recovery isn't working in windows 8. But, i found this option so that it would work for Windows 8.

This is a feature that was there in previous versions of windows also but in different location. this application is of a wizard type that shows u that directs u through some questions regarding the application. which are very easily understandable. Give a try with this and enjoy the older version applications with new OS.

Pic1

Thanks,

Mallikarjuna

Community Moderator
yigit

@malli1246

you also need to update one key recover. please, try this:

http://www.2shared.com/file/RRclN2yP/OneKey_Recovery.html

http://www.ki-themes.com
Punch Card
eggshaped

[ Edited ]

I found myself in exactly the same boat as you.  I managed to return to my original factory settings but it was probably a very longwinded way of doing it as I'm not very technical!

I 'borrowed' a copy of Windows 7 from my dad, installed it as a fresh installation (do not format any partitions during the install, leave everything as it is and install to the drive that has the OS on it, NOT your recovery partition).  After this was up an running I was able to load One Key Recovery from my recovery partition which can easily be accessed from explorer and restore my pc to original Lenovo factory settings.

So it can be done but you'll need a copy of Windows 7 to install first.

Community Moderator
yigit

[ Edited ]

@mall1246

have you tried okr 8?

moderator edit: subject(s) edited.

http://www.ki-themes.com
What's DOS?
dkarpp

Re: For all peoples who have installed win8 and want to recover back to win7

tuma, did your issue ever get resolved?  This is exactly the problem that I had.

Let me know what you did.

Thanks