Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
willbuntu
Accepted Solution

Partition Management in the Presence of the OneKey Recovery System

I am currently using a G550 2958 Model Laptop, from the Lenvo 3000/Essentials Notebook Series.  This laptop came with a feature called OneKey Recovery, which I have used to create recovery disks for my computer, using 2 DVDs.  My problem is this: I wish to install a Linux operating system on my computer, but Lenovo filled the partition table.  Here is a summary of the partition configuration:

First Partition, Unnamed, Primary, NTFS, 200-300 MB, boot flag, houses Master Boot Record

Second Partition, "C", "C:", and/or "OS Drive" (running Windows 7 Home Premium 64-bit Service Pack 1), Primary, NTFS, approximately 187 GB, contains Windows installation and personal files.

Third Partition, Unnamed, Extended, NTFS, approx. 30 GB, is a container for:

Logical Partition: "Lenovo", Logical, NTFS, approx. 30 GB, lba flag (which I take to mean it's bootable), contatins data and drivers necesarry for operating the OneKey Recovery System in respect to creating images and usage of the NOVO button.

Fourth and final Partition, "LENOVO_PART", Primary, NTFS, 13-17 GB, hidden service partition used for OneKey Recovery.

My question is this: I'm aware of the fact the OneKey Recovery will cease to function if I resize or delete any partitions in that I will not be able to create backup images or recovery disks, but since I have already done so and have no further need of OneKey, will booting the recovery disks automatically restore OneKey functionality after deletion or resizing of recovery partitions?  In essence, will disabling the OneKey system through partition management permanently remove my ability to use recovery disks, or no?

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 237

Re: Partition Management in the Presence of the OneKey Recovery System

Hi willbuntu and welcome to the community,

Here's a thread where we were experimenting with resizing partitions and deleting them.  I made a full backup with OKR on an external hard drive and made the recovery discs.  I deleted D: and resized C: and installed Linux.  I was able to restore the system using the recovery discs.  The discs resized the partitions and put everything back the way it was from the factory. Then, I restored from my backup and everything was back the way it was when I started.

Make sure that the discs that you made will boot okay.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
topmahof

You also might want to read this .  

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
willbuntu

Okay, so the recovery are standalone in that they can restore the partition table. Although, the first thread you pointed me to was slightly unclear on if the *LENOVO_PART* partition could be removed...and the second post really only dealt with the removal of the OneKey BIOS boot partition. I also have a couple of assumptions at this point I'd like you provide an answer to or verify: 1. The very first partition is either Master Boot Record or a Microsoft-shipped recovery partition,vwhich one? 2. The Lenovo partition is used for OKR boot and the drivers necessary to do so, and is possibly used for creating images. 3. The LENOVO_PART partition is used for creating or storing images or something for recovery. 4. Are the recovery disks I created the same or different as Lenovo OneKey Engineering disks? 5. Is a full backup using OKR necessary now that I have the recovery disks?
topmahof

[ Edited ]

Hi willbuntu,

1.  It's not a MS recovery partition.  When I do a clean install of Windows 7, it puts a small 100mb partition at the beginning of the partition table that has the boot files and system files on it.  When I do a clean install I make Windows put everything on C:, including the boot files.  Then I have no 100mb partition. The only thing wrong with that is if I get a virus, windows might not boot.

2. and 3.  Recovery uses both partitions to restore the OS.  The original recovery image is housed on D: as well as the drivers.  There's hidden files there as well as on the Lenovo partition.  You can use disc management in control panel to see the files.  When you do backups through OKR, it will put the images on D:  You'll see threads here where D: has filled up where nothing else will fit.  I turn backups off.  When I get my programs installed and all the windows updates done then I do a full backup through OKR onto an external hard drive.  Then if I have to restore the OS, I use the restore discs to restore to the factory image and then I use OKR to restore to the backup that I made on the external hard drive.  

4.  The recovery discs are different in that they have the original factory image and the Engineering discs don't have an image until you put one on there.  

5.  If you want to keep the programs and Windows updates that  were installed after the discs were made, yes you would need a backup.

I'm not saying that my way is the right way, but it works for me and it keeps the OS clean by not having backups hogging up D:.  I do backups about once a month onto the external.  I delete the previous one and only keep the current one.  

When we were experimenting, I should have deleted the Lenovo Partition to see if the recovery discs would still work, but I didn't.  Seeing as how the recovery discs remade and resized the partitions, I would think they would rebuild the Lenovo partition also, but that's a guess.  

Lenovo used to ship machines with a small C: and a large D:, but there were a lot of complaints, so they changed it to a large C: and a small D:.  They can't please everybody, I suppose.

I know this whole thing is confusing, there's a sticky at the top of this Forum about OKR.  There's articles in the knowledgebase also.

Edit:  If you ever decide to do a clean install, it would be a good idea to copy all the drivers and applications from D: onto a DVD or flash drive.  It would save hunting through the driver list. 

Dave 

Paper Tape
meditek

I have to say that this whole OKR thing is a pita for those of us capable of routine external backups. Had the same problem with a Dell 1720 and a similar button that caused mayhem for a while. I don't much like the veiled threats from Lenovo about the Warranty if you fiddle with OKR either.

I simply want a single C drive with the supplied Windows working on it.  So, if I transfer the boot to the C drive with EasyBCD I should be able to delete all these other partitions or will I??

topmahof

It should work.  You could also burn a system repair disc and a system image disc from within Control panel, Backup and restore.

Using that to reinstall Windows will put it on the whole drive with all your drivers and applications.

You might need the system repair disc to rewrite the boot files after moving the MBR to C: anyway.

Dave

Ctrl-Alt-Del
willbuntu

Thanks for all your feedback and support, but I just have a few more questions:

1. I already copied the folders, sub-folders, and files with Hidden Folders turned on, using CTRL-C/CTRL-V; is that enough, or should I use an imaging tool to complete image the Lenovo partition?

2. If and when I want to install the drivers using the files in the Lenovo partition, what do I do?  I see a "setup.exe" in some of them, but not all of them?  Will Windows automatically find them, or should I install them manually when I come to that point?

3. Will Windows boot if its partition, the Lenovo partition, and/or the LENOVO_PART partition are resized or deleted (deletion in the case of only the latter two)?

I really appreciate the attention I've been given on this matter.  That's what I call customer service!

topmahof

[ Edited ]

You don't need to image the other two partitions, just the C: drive.

2.  The OS image (C:smileyhappy: will already have all of the drivers and apps installed, the drivers and apps on D: would only be used if you were going to do a clean install.  You're right that some of them have their installers with them.  You could point the Windows installer to the folder to install a driver that doesn't have its installer with it.  Unfortunately, that won't work with preinstalled applications.  You'd have to go on your driver list to see if that application is listed.

3.  Yes, Windows should still boot without the two Lenovo partitions.  Unless they changed something that I don't know about, those two partitions are used for recovery.  The two partitions that are required for Windows to work is the small one at the beginning of the partition table and the OS (C:smileyhappy:.

Almost time to push the button, isn't it?  Let me know how you get on with this.

Dave

Paper Tape
meditek

That is what really threw me about the Lenovo layout because when I deleted the hidden Lenovo partion the system would not boot!