Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
What's DOS?
seedaw
Accepted Solution

Processor upgrade

Can I upgrade a 3000 N200 with a Celeron processor to a Core 2 Duo? would I just change the chip itself or is there more to it than that
Bit Torrent
wjli2

Re: Processor upgrade

[ Edited ]

remember that if you fiddle with those internal components, your warranty are automatically voided. But having said that you should find out what Intel Chipset your got, use PC Doctor 5 that comes with your computer, is it a GM945 or GM965 chipset. GM965 supports Socket P which is not compatible due to the different pins to Sokcet M used on GM945.

Socket P (GM965) is compatible with;

Core 2 Duo, T5xxx, T7xxx, T8xxx, T9xxx

Socket M (GM945) is compatible with

Core 2 Duo, T5xxx, T7xxx

So make sure you find out the exact socket type and motherboard you got, before you go out to buy your new Core 2 Duo processor.

http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/N200/index.html

That is the shortcut to service training video for your laptop.

Message Edited by wjli2 on 10-04-2008 08:03 PM
What's DOS?
seedaw

Thankyou that's very helpful - it has a GM965 chipset so now I know how to upgrade.
Paper Tape
theprocess

Would the same apply for a 3000 v100?  I think the chipset is GM945.  0763 has a Core Duo T2300 currently. 

Which BIOS version is required to run a Core 2 Duo?  There is a video on how to remove the processor but where can I find one that shows how to access the processor (remove entire bottom cover?)

Thanks

Bit Torrent
wjli2

http://www.lenovoservicetraining.com/ion/V100/index.html

have a look at the video links.

The GM945 chipset use the Socket M format, so it has different pin counts than Socket P format in the GM965, so make sure when you upgrade you get the right socket type CPU.

Socket M format supports Core 2 Duo cpu of T5xxx and T7xxx of Socket M type...

If you are going to upgrade to a T5xxx series then don't bother, it is a waste of money, as the performance increase is minimal for most apps that you will run. I would rather save up the money and get a new laptop, then sell your current laptop.

What's DOS?
januavie

hi! i just want to ask if  it is possible to upgrade my processor... i have Lenovo 3000 G530 Intel Dual Core.. can i upgrade it to Intel Quad Core? or i3?..