Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
fmcsimmons

Re: Fan never stops DSDT / BIOS hacking thread

This has nothing to do with thermal grease. This is a problem apparently in the EC and could be fixed with a BIOS/EC update.... It is ridiculous that a fix hasn't arrived yet.
SCSI Port
rzrfreefr

[ Edited ]

Debian / Ubuntu users can test the kernel I just built and shared which include this workaround fix

find me or pm to get where to get that deb :-)

(pasting a url here is risky)

Now I wish I or we can forward some bug report and some other improvment to the BIOS team 

I doubt they read this board... but please contact me if you want some helpful info , all credits go to markk ... 

I wish now we can try to get the FAN rpm info 

ps: linked thread : 

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/General-Discussion/How-to-contact-engineering-team-to-suggest-some-BIOS-...

--
http://rzr.online.fr/q/lenovo# g470 s103t (Please Contact me if your s10-3T is booting win7 or support bluetooth, 3g)
Lenovo S10-3t | Model Name : 0651 | Mfg Date: 2010/06/08
Lenovo G470 | Model Name : 20078 | M fg Date: 11/03/23 | BIOS: 40CN23WW(V2.09) 06/20/2011 | CPU: i5-2410M | Linux version 3.3.4lenovog470+ (root@lap) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-4) ) #8 SMP Tue May 1 10:23:48 CEST 2012
What's DOS?
JHepp

I just got a new Lenovo Think Center, probably similar to your laptop.  I happened to notice there is a driver update feature in the ThinkVantage Tools.  One of the updates was a BIOS flash.  A lot of the problems it fixed were related to the fan.  I am not having trouble with the fan, so I did not bother to flash the BIOS, but you might want to try it.

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

For those who are having a problem with their fan running at 100% despite low core temps.

Appreciate if you can drop me a private message with the following information for me to log a case to engineering.

Name;
Mobile:
Email:
Date of Purchase:
MTM:
S/N:
Core temp:

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Fanfold Paper
mark2

JHepp wrote:

I just got a new Lenovo Think Center, probably similar to your laptop.  I happened to notice there is a driver update feature in the ThinkVantage Tools.  One of the updates was a BIOS flash.  A lot of the problems it fixed were related to the fan.  I am not having trouble with the fan, so I did not bother to flash the BIOS, but you might want to try it.

@JHepp, do you have a link or a BIOS version number?  There are no fixes to the fan in either of the 2 BIOS updates available for the G*70 line.  Also, I don't think we have ThinkVantage Tools.

Fanfold Paper
mark2

yigit wrote:
hi smaaz.

please, note that flashing un-official bios update will void your warranty. if you break your mainboard, warranty won't cover the replacement.

What does the warranty cover?  Does it cover the fan working properly?  Because if it doesn't then it is not worth anything.

Fanfold Paper
mark2

@smaaz :  Don't bother with this BIOS file.  It does not help.  I have tried it.  You can change the thermal settings, but the fan still never stops.  When you sleep and wake up, the embedded controller resets all your BIOS trip points, so it's worthelss.

Fanfold Paper
mark2

[ Edited ]

For those intrepid Windows users, the memory location of the fan status in the EC RAM is at 0xAB.

the bits are something like this:

0           0             0                  0                            0                  0              0              0  

?           ?           FAN1         FAN2                       ON/OFF      ?             ?               ?

So, if you want both fans on (I think it's just one fan at high speed)  write  0x38 into AB  will give you

0011  1000

Both fans OFF, (need to set on/off bit)  write 0x00 into AB

0000  0000

If you do this, your computer will overheat and be damaged.  Don't do it.  Always remember to turn all the fan bits back on.  I post this message so that maybe someone who knows what to do won't have to waste time hunting through the EC ram to find the control registers, not so that regular people can burn out their CPUs with rweverthing.

(P.S. the on/off bit is actuall ec ram INIT. It is not FANT.  Even though it is listed before the fans in the dsdt dump under ERAM, it is after in the actual bits, is this an endian issue?)

Retired Employee
JameZ

@All,

Issue has been escalated using rzrfreefr's info.

//JameZ

Check out the Community Knowledge Base for hints and tips.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!

If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

W520 | 4176-38U | i7 - 2720QM | Quardo 1000M | 8GB RAM | 60GB OCZ Agility 3

Punch Card
smaaz

still no development :smileyfrustrated: