Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
kirstyshero

Restore Disc Query

[ Edited ]

Hi

I have a 3000 N200 0769 BWG that needs to be restored. My problem is this:

When I purchased the laptop I used the create restore discs option, this burned a CD called Rescue & Recovery Startup CD & a DVD called Product Recovery DVD.

I boot with the startup CD, once loaded & I've answered the preliminary questions it asks me if I have an Operating System Restore Disc. As I don't I click NO & it then asks for the Product Recovery Disc which I put in & click OK, so far so good.

Once this has finished copying files it then asks for Product Recovery Disc #2 for which I can only click OK or CANCEL. OK just tells me that I haven't put in the correct disc & CANCEL exits he restore process, reboots the laptop & then tells me that the OS is not found!!

The original create restore disc application completed correctly & both discs were verirfied ok by the application.

Can someone please advise....

Cheers

KH

***EDIT*** After reading through a few threads here I thought I'd try checking the hdd to see if there was a restore partition. I plugged it into my desktop & ran PartitionMagic - this shows the whole 160GB as "bad" - could the whole drive really be fubar or could this just be a bizarre quirk of the failed restore.

TIA

KH

Message Edited by kirstyshero on 10-23-2008 09:31 PM
Paper Tape
kirstyshero

Re: Restore Disc Query

Ok a little further backwards....this morning I've tried another known good hdd in this laptop & get the same results from the restore discs ???

Anybody have ideas other than purchasing the restore discs that alledgedly their software created for me

TIA

KH 

Serial Port
iamdh

KH,

First, this may not be the solution to the problem you stated.

You didn't mention operation system.

Use this freeware program Partition Logic (do read installation instructions carefully) to unhide the hidden "serives:\" partition on your harddrive if it is still good. That service partition has everything required to restore system to original state.You can copy the data from this service partition to your new hard drive in good condition.

I haven't tried this program myself but found it while reading about unhiding service partitions on laptops. Hope this helps.

3000 N100-0768DKU
XP Home 5.01.2600 SP2
Ubuntu 8.04(hardy)
Paper Tape
kirstyshero

thanks iamdh I'll give that a try & post up how I get on.

Its is (was!) Vista Home Premium

KH