Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
dawcary

Restore and Recovery problem-XP reinstall

I have a N100 laptop that I am trying to reinstall XP operating system.  I have the recovery discs. Started the process in the Rescue and Recovery menu. Part way into the process after putting in the first disc the process will go no further.  Just to review how I got thru the menu.  I chose option  Restore my entire hard drive.   then selected backup from CD/DVD.  then I get a message:   to restore from CD/DVD either insert final C disc or insert final discs of recovery discs.  nothing happens when inserting the disc.   also-when I restart the computer it always goes to the Rescue and Recovery menu.  I can't get a normal Windows startup.  Any suggestions of how to get at least to a normal Windows startup and avoid getting to the R and R menu or how to re-format the drive?

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 342
Solutions: 229

Re: Restore and Recovery problem-XP reinstall

Hi dawcary and welcome to the community,

How about trying to restore it to factory settings?  Once that's installed, make sure it works okay and then try to restore from the backup from within R&R.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Paper Tape
dawcary

I'd love to but that isn't an option I'm given in R and R.  2 options- restore entire hard drive from a backup and restore only the Windows op system from a backu.  Only the 1st give me the option to use my recovery discs from Lenovo and they abruptly stop when I try to use the 1st disc.

topmahof

Hi dawcary,

When R&R launches, it should come up to a screen that says on the left, Quick Restore and Full Restore, right?

Choose Full Restore.  In the next window choose continue.  Then it should show a window that says choose a backup, right?

Make sure the backup locations is "All".  At the bottom left there should be a small circle beside Factory recovery, make sure that has a dot in it.

Choose Restore.  That should bring up a window that says that, Restoring factory contents is intended for unrecoverable systems only.    Choose continue.

In the next window it should say do not power off during this process, Click OK.  

This should restore your system to Factory state.

Let me know if it does or doesn't.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
Paper Tape
dawcary

That's not the screen I'm getting.  It first opens witht the Introduction page for R and R.  On the left are titles Rescue and Recovery, Configure, and Communicate. Choosing restore your system under the Rescue and Recovery title only brings up the choices to restore my entire hard drive or restore only WIndows operating system.  No Quick restore, etc.  And that is where my problem begins and the restore won't continue.  and the  problem that only R and R comes up when turning the machine on.  Can't start Windows. fyi-I have no disc in when I start up.

topmahof

At the top of the Introduction page, does it show an arrow with simplified interface?  See if clicking  that brings up the page that I described above.  

When R&R launches, what version does it say it is, 4?  And, how many recovery discs do you have, don't count the backup discs?

Dave 

Paper Tape
dawcary

No arrow at the top-just tabs for System Information, Event Viewer, Warranty Status, Help, and Restart.

It is version 3.10.1024

One R and R disc

5 product recovery discs

topmahof

Hi dawcary,

I dug out my old x32 that has the recovery discs.  The version of Recovery is the same as yours.

Booting from the R&R disc it eventually comes to the window with the two options that you describe, plus a third option to restore factory settings.  Choosing to restore to factory settings wipes the drive and installs the predesktop.  If you reboot at that point, it will go into the predesktop and that window will then only show the two choices that you listed above.

I don't know why yours doesn't show that third option.

At this point, it sounds like the predesktop is installed on your hard drive and nothing else.  Rebooting might be bypassing the cd drive and booting into the predesktop.  You probably already did this, but it's the only thing I can think of.  Put your R&R disc in the cd drive and start the machine.  Press F12 at startup and in the list of bootable devices that comes up, choose cd drive.  That "should" give you the third option to restore to factory.  

Dave

Paper Tape
dawcary

Dave-I had switched to booting to the cd but had no luck.  But your reminder pushed me to try again. Lo and behold it worked this time.  Thanks very much for suggesting it.  I'm now going back to factory state (Vista).  Then I'll decide if I want to go ahead and upgrade to XP pro with the product discs I have.  I was just trying to have a clean install and give this machine to a friend.  Thanks a lot for all your help.

topmahof

Great, I'm glad that this time it worked.

Dave