Support in other languages: 
What's DOS?
tjefferies

SOLUTION: Press [F2] to Enter Setup does NOT Appear - Lenovo G470

After spending an inordinate amount of time searching the internet about my problem, and then contacting Lenovo (who told me it was hardware and I needed to return all of the laptops I bought), I managed to magically find the solution to my problem.  Since it wasn't documented elsewhere on the internet, I thought I'd create a post for it here.

The problem I was having was that my Lenovo G470 laptop did not display Press F2 to Enter Setup during the boot process, and because of this, no amount of hammering the F2 button would allow access to the BIOS.  I attempted all of the standard fixes, pulled the battery, held power down for 30 seconds, removed the HDD -- nothing would cause this to appear.  Since it was happening on all 3 of the G470s we just purchased, I didn't believe it was hardware.  I reached out to Lenovo Premium Support, and after about 3 minutes of discussion, "Paul" informed me that all three machines were defective and would have to be sent back in for repair, and it would take 4-6 weeks for repair and diagnosis.  

As I had been noodling around with the machines for a few days, ONE of the three ended up showing the bios options during the boot process.  At that point, I had been hitting just about every single key on the keyboard during the boot process, so I couldn't identify what it was that I did that caused the options to appear.  A little more troubleshooting and I figured it out:

Lenovo G470 machines equipped with the EFI bios do NOT by default show the Press F2 to enter Setup.  The only way to make this appear is to hold the "B" key on the keyboard during power-on.  Once you've done that, the options to enter setup will appear and they will reappear at every boot (matter of fact, I've been unable to find a way to make them go away again, no matter what I hold during bootup).

So, if you find yourself with a G470 and you can't enter the bios and F2 doesn't work -- hold the B key during boot.  The options should appear and you should be able to gain entry into the BIOS.

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 337
Solutions: 227

Re: SOLUTION: Press [F2] to Enter Setup does NOT Appear - Lenovo G470

Now that's a slick solution.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,307
Solutions: 283

tjefferies,

Wow!  Thanks for sharing this - will be sure to share with support.   We really appreciate your discovery and sharing this with the community.   I'm not sure why they quoted 4-6 weeks or repair.  Perhaps 4-6 days, counting shipping, but not weeks.  Will address that as well.

Do you happen to have your service case number #? WNxxxxxx ?   If so, could you send to me via PM ?

Many thanks!

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

SCSI Port
rzrfreefr

bios updated :

http://download.lenovo.com/consumer/mobiles/40cn32ww_64bit.exe

--
http://rzr.online.fr/q/lenovo# g470 s103t (Please Contact me if your s10-3T is booting win7 or support bluetooth, 3g)
Lenovo S10-3t | Model Name : 0651 | Mfg Date: 2010/06/08
Lenovo G470 | Model Name : 20078 | M fg Date: 11/03/23 | BIOS: 40CN23WW(V2.09) 06/20/2011 | CPU: i5-2410M | Linux version 3.3.4lenovog470+ (root@lap) (gcc version 4.6.3 (Debian 4.6.3-4) ) #8 SMP Tue May 1 10:23:48 CEST 2012
What's DOS?
fewbobsmore

Thanks for this solution, it worked on a Acer laptop as well, I'm pleased to inform. "Press F2..." message disappeared when I switched to SSD.

What's DOS?
CrniAngeo

Best solution is to do a clean shutdown/reboot without going hibernate/sleep. In this case you can see f2/f12

HF.

What's DOS?
rohit6067

i also have this problem but this solution does not work...plz help