Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Geoffrey

Touch-Pad becomes choppy while running on battery (G550).

[ Edited ]

Thanks in advance.

The touchpad works great as long as the g550 is connected to the AC adapter; as soon as the laptop begins running on betteries, the touchpad becomes "choppy" (intermiten unresponsiveness).  It this an issue with power manager? ACPI conflict?  Poor touch-pad driver (Alps)?

Is this a known issue or did I get a lemon?  

EDIT:  Sorry, forgot system credentials.  G550 w/XP; fresh machine with the following software installed by myself: Offices XP, Outlook 2003, Symantec Antivirus Corporate, Java, SYSPRO (ERP solution).

EDIT2: After doing some research, I found that user were experiencing the same "lag" or "stuttering" behavior, with ALPS touch pads, regardless of host laptop; ALPS touch pads, are, apparently, buggy as hell (I'm told).  The members of the Toshiba forum solved the issue with a BIOS update.  I would love to try that, if there were a bios update for the G550.  Got in touch with Lenovo support; that went nowhere.  The lad on the other kept suggesting I reinstall the drivers (I've tried every availible ALPS driver, regardless of which 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Geoffrey

Re: Touch-Pad becomes choppy while running on battery (G550).

[ Edited ]

Well, no one at Lenovo knows whats wrong - spent 3 hours on the phone (most of it on hold) for someone to tell me to try the OKR.  I even entertained the idea (although I know it would do nothing, as this laptop is straight out of the box).

I know someone saw this post today, so I'll wait a bit longer for a reply before I return this laptop and purchase a Toshiba or an HP.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Geoffrey

Bump; I would like someone to at least attempt to respond.

Punch Card
digitaleagle

I just purhased a G550 ACU and have the same issues with the touchpad.  It is so bad that had I known about it before I purchased it, I would have chosen another laptop.  I also went through Lenovo's terrible customer service only to get the same run-a-round.  I was told to restore it to the original configuration.  I told them that it was the same way when I got it and hasn't changed no matter what I did.  I downloaded a later driver from Toshiba's website which helped a little, but it is still extremely annoying. 

You are right - Lenovo should address this issue.  I think a lot of people have purchased this notebook as their first one and don't know what a touchpad is supposed to do.  They just accept that it is normal.  The real issue here is Lenovo found a way to build more profit into this notebook by going with the ALPS hardware.  ALPS is terrible stuff and has a bad reputation on all notebooks where it is installed. 

It's a shame, because I really like this notebook if it weren't for the terrible touchpad response.   PLEASE LENOVO - fix this! 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Geoffrey

[ Edited ]

Hi

I'd like to offer you my help, because you definitely won't find any help here.  I ended returning the laptop, as it was malfunctioning, pretty much, straight out of the box.

What type of router switch are you using?  I was using GigEthernet (Linksys).  When the laptop was connected to the switch the mouse went choppy.  Turns out that, when connecting to GigEthernet, and the NIC is set to Autonegotiate (for duplex settings) the mouse craps out.  May be a power issue; I'm not really sure.  I spent 2-3 hours of my personal time just narrowing the issue down to the NIC/the **bleep**tyness of ALPS touchpads.  Keep in mind your issue may be different, but I guarantee that the ALPS drivers/hardware has something to do with it.

Either way, save yourself the trouble, send the laptop back and get a Toshiba; at least you may get some help.  I am so frustrated with this company and its lack of support (I deal with them a lot, through my work).  Note the date of my message and the number of views.  Then note the replies...  And what ever you do, don't contact their support line (but I don't need to tell you that); their solution was to restore the laptop from an image...

Punch Card
digitaleagle

Thanks for the response.  I'm using an Asus wireless router with G service.  I use Tomatoe firmware from the Linux community.  I don't notice any difference in the touchpad behavior whether using it on AC or battery.  I do notice it get's worse when I have the CPU under a load.  Under the same circumstances using an extermal wireless mouse it works just fine.  I doubt it is a defect in the touchpad as others have complained about this as well.  Just check out the reviews from Newegg.com under G550-ACU.  There are at least 6 posts with the same issue. 

I don't think I have the option of returning to Newegg.  I have had it now for about 3 weeks.  My only option would be to send it back to Lenovo warranty repair and I'm sure they will just restore the system and say there was no problem. 

I have also tried uninstalling the ALPS driver and the behavior is the same with the windows generic driver.  It did improve a little with the latest ALPS driver from the Toshiba site which makes me think it is somewhat driver/bios related. 

I agree with you on Lenovo's service.  It has gone down hill very rapidly.  They just don't seem to care about customer service anymore.  Due to my experience both my daughter and my son bought different laptops.  My daugher bought an HP and my son bought an ASUS.  Both are wonderful machines.  They also don't have the crappy ALPS touchpad on them. 

I believe Lenovo found a way to cheap out on this entry level notebook.  By taking out the expansion slot and putting in the cheap ALPS hardware they increased profit by keeping the laptop the same price as the G530, which was a better notebook. 

In the end they lose because they lost me as a future customer and could have sold two more notebooks, but because they put profit over customer service - they will lose out in the end. 

I hope they go out of business. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Geoffrey

Yeah if your on wireless, I doubt our issue is the same.  Mine was definitely related to the NIC (in some way, anyway).  Good luck.

Take care.

What's DOS?
wieclaw

I experience similar troubles. After trying different drivers I found one that actually works with Windows 7.

Driver version is 7.5.2021.101 downloaded from Acer support page at

http://global-download.acer.com/GDFiles/Driver/TouchPad/TouchPad_ALPS_7.5.2021.101_XPx86XPx64_A.zip?...

I hope it will work for you too.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Geoffrey

Unfortunately, we have already replaced the laptop with a toshiba.  

Thanks very much for your reply though.  I'm sure you're reply will help other in this mess IBM considers customer service.

Cheers, friend.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
funkyjive

Hello All.

A little late I know but only just chanced across this post.

The problem is that the Alps touch-pad is designed with cost in-mind, and without it's own firmware-driven microcontroller offloads all the work (interpreting movement) to the main system CPU.

On battery, if your system power policy is set to "Balanced" or other setting to reduce battery consumption, the CPU will slow down and the ability to process touchpad information will become more limited - hence the choppiness.

However, I posted a fix which has massively improved my own mouse performance, and has worked for at-least one other that I'm aware of. Should you try this then please reply with your experiences, so that others can gauge the value of this fix for themselves.

Here's my last post on the subject...

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Lenovo-3000-and-Value-line/When-will-Lenovo-fix-the-G550-ALPS-touchpad-p...

It staggers me that, for something so patently obvious, Lenovo have failed to respond with recommendations to improve this problem.

All the best,

Brendan.