Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
channickel

Unbelievable service

One month before, I e-mail the following message to Lenova Hong Kong's office who then forwarded it to the service centre although it's not just a matter of technical problem but of integrity.  I have not heard from them since then.  I am considering to refer this to the mass media.   

Subject: Repairing failed
Message: Last month, I lost the bios password of my notebook G410A (s/n EBxxxxxxxxxxxx) and was serviced.  Your staff said the motherboard has to be replaced for the password was intact even unplugged the mercury battery.  The fact is that the notebook has no mercury battery but a capacitor which can be earthed to reset the bios.  I was charged $180 for it  and was lied.  Your reply is much appreciated.

IPnaSh
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 125

Re: Unbelievable service

[ Edited ]

If the motherboard was replaced, and you still have the password, that password is for the hard disk. The BIOS password is stored inside a security chip. Every motherboard has an internal battery (button cell).

BIOS password loss isn't covered by warranty.

IPnaSh
First Spanish Community Guru - Colaborador ad honorem

Lenovo
Paper Tape
channickel

Re: Unbelievable service

It's not the case:

1.I paid for the service.

2.The motherboard of G410A does not has a button cell but a capacitor.

3.The Hong Kong service centre pretended that they had tried to unplug the cell and then demanded to replace the motherboard.

4. I earthed the capacitor at home and immediately cleared the BIOS password.