Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Niohoggr
Accepted Solution

Video card or driver problems with an N200, please help!

I have a lenovo 3000 N200, it is really cool, runs even games quite well, including newer ones.

But, is it normal to for the display driver program to freeze out in Warcraft 3? It always does that, when accessing the list of maps in the game and after 3-5 mins during an actual game. It sets the resolution down to 640X480 (from 1280X800) and in 16 color. I have to reset it in order to make it work. Also it does the same in Spore - though after having the driver written for Spore installed, ( which I downloaded from lenovo's site ) I haven't encountered that problem so far. Also Second Life shuts down - thankfully it does not freeze the drivers. I understand that the model I have is not meant for gaming but if it can run Warhammer 40k: Soulstorm at meduim graphic settings (on widescreen) without a lagg I can't understand why it wouldn't be able to handle warcraft 3 - that even an ATi m200 express can handle. I mean an X3100 from Intel must be far more powerful. (Said ATi card laggs with older games like Unreal Tournament)

I have the latest driver - official - and a Win Xp pro Sp2. I always keep my system up to date - save for opsys but so far driver did not need sp3 - and virus clean.

Please help me? 

Serial Port
mattmilten

Re: Video card or driver problems with an N200, please help!

Hallo!

I am facing the same problem. My N200 runs Vista Business. Everytime I start playing a game, the video driver stops responding and has to be restored by Vista. Some games keep on running after a black screen while others crash as soon as the driver crashes. This is really annoying, especially because the games are running quite well on my machine.

I tried several driver versions and I made all possible combinations of video settings - no success.

I assume it's either a memory (overflow) or a thermal problem.

If you somehow manage to solve the problem, please report what you have done.

3000 N200 BDG, Vista Business 32bit
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Niohoggr

Sadly, I have tried all waht I can on my own, but I have not been able to solve the problem.

I think, we should visit the nearest service or need someone at Lenovo to take a peek at this thread... Even more sadly, the latter (someone at lenovo actually reading this ) is not likely to happen.

I don't think that it is a thermal error. I sometimes rn games for long and even though things get a bit hotter  - not overly - those that run run always fine. I think the cause might be closer to intel's things not on the supported list for many games. It does use open gl based driver and some games might not like that. ... THen again, that would be a HUGE setback for intel. I honestly don't know what could be responsible for this. And unfortunately I don't know when I will go to a service - if there is any in 150 km range from me - as my days are quite busy. Let's hope people read this thread and are able to help. 

Serial Port
mattmilten

So, which games are running flawless on your machine? Every single game I tried made the driver crash. Even old games like Half-Life (1) or Return to Castle Wolfenstein. Once, I experienced the driver crash even while I was using the Cooliris 3D Image Viewer (Firefox add-on).

3000 N200 BDG, Vista Business 32bit
Ctrl-Alt-Del
Niohoggr

Well, Unreal Tournament 2004 runs flawlessly on max graphics - though simple Unreal Tournament laggs like hell with all possible settings - also, as I said Dawn Of War and it's expansions run well on med graphics. The Suffering Ties That Bind runs also good on highest settings - though there is a bit of degradation compared to my tabletop pc's performance. Disciples 2 ran - of course - well, there were some texture problems with it but Heroes 5 ran quite well even on higher settings (as I mentioned it sometimes blunted down the textures but not always and it ran without a lagg). Alien Versus Predator 2 ran on max graphics, and there was no trouble, save for the aliens' special vision (that white thing that looks as if inverted colors) didn't work - aka was only a black screen - and that the crosshair of the smartgun was only a blank red/green block on the middle of the screen.Oh, and Command & Conquer: Generals Zero Hour works on highest settings without a lagg, along with Quake 3, and Jedi knight : Academy. It even runs Perfect World on high settings and only laggs in bigger towns - but that also might be because of the tremendous bandwidth usage that occurs. Even Red Alert 3 was able to run, but I would only advise that for RA fanatics, on low settings it was playable. Also, C & C: Tiberium Wars runs better than RA 3 , if you like that it is quite playable and worth a try. As you can see I have put it to it's limits to see what it can endure. Unreal Tournament 3 ran, though was gruesomely degraded and then it gave me the blue screen of death; so I quickly uninstalled that. Other than the forementioned program I had no real problems with the card, but the existing problems are a pain in the ... well we all know how bothering it can be when one is unable to play his/her favourite game (that should really run flawlessly).

Doesn't vista eat up too much of the system resources? A friend of mine was complaining about his n200 that vista is too slow on it and it eats up too much processor/memory.

Also, still no new on videocard front... Asked around if anyone knows, but I am guessing that maybe even Blizzard - referring to my Warcraft problem - shows more compassion to their forums and users than Lenovo, so I'll ask around there too. 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
Niohoggr

Ooh, it seems as though I was correct, my problems stems from software incompatibility.

Namely the opengl based driver (that igfx something file that is in the rror reports I get). 

I solved the porblem with Warcraft 3, you need to right click on the icon of warcraft 3 and type in the destination line (right after the second " ) -opengl or -swtnl. (or -d3d , nota bene that didn't work for me) 

Though even now it isn't as pretty as on my table top pc, it runs really well and farily good graphics. 

I think your problem is similar to mine and is amplified - sort of - by Vista in some way, it seems to cause a more severe software incompatiblity.