Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
gargarian

Won't Charge

I noticed a few days ago that the little battery icon in the lower toolbar didn't go away when I plugged in the power.
This continued to happen for a day as my power gradually ran down.
A day latter it worked once and charged up the battery again.
But that was the last time the battery took any charge.
After the battery ran down to 0%,  I tried plugging in the
cord and the computer wouldn't run or even turn on.

So it may be that the power cord is the problem.
Though it could be other things I suppose.

Went to the store and they had a "universal" to offer me
as a replacement,  it was $150.  seemed a little steep.

Suggestions?

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

Re: Won't Charge

Are you still under warranty?   Which model of Lenovo 3000 do you have?

I tend to agree with your diagnosis of the AC adapter, and perhaps there are a couple tests you could do before replacing it.

Do you have a digial multi-meter around the house? If so, set for 20V DC range and test the AC adapter output.

If you don't have a digital multi-meter, it might be a good thing to pick up and have around the house - handy for diagnosing many issues and you can pick one up for $20 or less.   You don't need a high end Fluke for this kind of work.

If there is no voltage at the tip, then your diagnosis is correct and the AC adapter needs to be replaced.

$150 is pretty steep for an AC adpater.   Check the Lenovo website accessories section HERE.  I see AC adapters typically in the $59 range - some less, some more.

Not knowing which 3000 model you have, I can't point to you the exact one...

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
gargarian

Thanks Mark:

I'm going to pick up one of those meters and see what the results are.
My model by the way is Lenovo 3000  C 200.

Punch Card
jets

Hi All,

I have exactly the same problem. I am desperate to fix my battery..

I tried to PM Mark, but it just gives me this error:

Disallowed URL detected. Please remove the URL(s) from the message. Also please note that if you need a '%' character in your message, you'll need to use an HTML entity % instead.

And this was the message:

Hi Mark,

I spotted on the forum, that you've been advicing people with their battery problems.

I have exactly same symptoms as others have been describing on the forum on Lenovo 3000 N100. I just ran out of warranty!
I would be delighted and very grateful to receive some advice. My battery first simply did not charge and gauge stayed at 1%, and now it has fallen to 0% and stays there. I'd stay this is not acceptable after one year and one or two months.

The model is: 0768-BKG

JaneL

jets wrote:

I tried to PM Mark, but it just gives me this error:

That seems odd, but it must be the % signs triggering something in the forum software.  The PM part of this forum's software doesn't appear to be as well thought out as some of its other features.

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Jane

ThinkPad Slate, T410s, X301, X200 Tablet, T60p, HP TouchPad, iPad 4, iPhone 5S, IdeaTab A2107A, Yoga Tablet
I am not a Lenovo Employee.
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Paper Tape
gargarian

Hey Mark, thanks for your help so far.
Yes, I got a meter and found in fact there was 0 at the tip, but if I unplugged the transformer from the powercord, there was
definitly current coming in through the cord. 

So I think I need to buy a new power cord.

I have a lenovo 3000 C200  and on the back it says model name 8922

I think the one I need is the  Lenovo Y Series 90W AC Adapter

Is that correct?

Thanks again
Gary

Paper Tape
gargarian

Hey Mark, once again if you could help me with this - ordering the correct ac power cord.

I have a lenovo 3000 C200  and on the back it says model name 8922

I went to the page you referred me to and put in my info and got Lenovo Y Series 90W AC Adapter.

But I'm not sure it's right as I don't believe my computer is Y series

Thanks for your help.

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 412
Kudos: 1,335
Solutions: 288

Gargarian,

So you checked AC into the transformer and found 120 Volts on the line, but zero coming out at the tip that goes into the laptop?  If so, then the transformer has indeed failed.

No, I don't believe the "Y" model is going to work for you.

AC adapters for the C, N, and V series 3000 systems and some earlier model Thinkpads will work.

I'll find you a proper link - unless someone beats me to it.....

We are coming out with a new 90W AC adapter that comes with different tips - it might be a good value for you as you could use it on this system and others.

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
Retired Employee
Tim_Lenovo

Hi Gargarian,
You should be able to view power accessories for your C200 at this link: click here
-----------------------------------
Tim Supples
Lenovo Social Media

Got a question? Don't PM me, post it on the forum!
Lenovo Blogs
X60 Tablet SXGA+ primary, Z61p fully loaded workhorse
Fanfold Paper
orpheus922

I am among the lenovo 3000 users with a battery issue.  Basically, it stopped charging or recognizing the battery as a power source a couple months back (although the battery apparently had a 92% charge).   I assumed it was a bios issue, got all updates, but there was not a fix or any good data on the support website.  I have been using the computer on AC power, which has beeen inconvenient, for about 4-5 moths.  Now I am having issues with the AC power.  Every once in a while the computer will just power off.  Even if it has not been on for more than 20 seconds.  It does not seem to be a overheating issue, since it might do this in the morning after powering down for the night.  Maybe this is related to the battery issue... maybe not.  Please let me know what can be done to help.

Lenovo 3000
0768-6EU