Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
raghu

Re: Y410 Owners - Does your internal mic work?

Hi were you able to fix the problem with internal mic.Iam also facing same issues with the MIC.
Punch Card
SanKey1

Hi raghu,

Judging from the complete absence of Vista OS Y410 owners who have said their internal microphones perform properly, I would say Lenovo has a very, very large (possibly in the millions) hidden defect problem.

I plan to make my warranty claim at once and hereby encourage all others whose internal microphone does not work properly to do so.

Regards,
Lenovo Y410 59-011897, Core2Duo T5450, Intel 965GM, RAM 2GB(667), HDD 160GB/5400rpm, Graphics Onboard GMA X3100, ODD DVD-RW, Intel Pro 3945ABG, 6in1 reader, Modem Lenovo support 56k Fastlink data/fax, Device Mgr. Motorola SM56 data fax (driver 6.12.5.0), Audio Lenovo support Intel Azalia, Device Mgr. Realtek HD Audio v. R1.83 (driver 6.0.1.5523), Vista Home P
Punch Card
SanKey1

On another thread photos of the Y410 have been published. The photos reveal a hole I don't have and which very well may relate to the microphone defect. It is at:

Give it a look. Regards, SanKey1
Lenovo Y410 59-011897, Core2Duo T5450, Intel 965GM, RAM 2GB(667), HDD 160GB/5400rpm, Graphics Onboard GMA X3100, ODD DVD-RW, Intel Pro 3945ABG, 6in1 reader, Modem Lenovo support 56k Fastlink data/fax, Device Mgr. Motorola SM56 data fax (driver 6.12.5.0), Audio Lenovo support Intel Azalia, Device Mgr. Realtek HD Audio v. R1.83 (driver 6.0.1.5523), Vista Home P
Paper Tape
Lenovice

Hi guys,

Mine didn't work out-of-the-box either.  Had to tinker something in the control panel before it worked (thank goodness!:smileywink: )

Try this: (Vista users)
Open "Control panel" > Open "Realtek HD Audio Manager" > Go to the "Microphone" Tab
There are 2 volume bars there, make sure that PLAYBACK VOLUME is set to 0 (slide to the left most part of the bar); while the RECORDING VOLUME is set to max (slide to the right most part of the bar).
Click the "Microphone Boost" icon - this one is located on the left side of the "Set Default Device" button
Slide the bar to the right most side (+30.0 dB) and close the window.
In the "Microphone Effects" Tab, click all 3 options - Noise Supression, Acoustic Echo Cancellation and Beam Forming (You will see red Xs if these options are selected/enabled.

Tada!  You're ready to use it! (Beware: not the best mic you can have though, but will do)

To test, you may use the Sound Recorder application.  Hope this works for you too!

Mark_Lenovo
Topics: 410
Kudos: 1,311
Solutions: 284

[ Edited ]
Lenovice,

Thanks for the tip.  From a software / settings perspective, Lenovo Support also suggestes that the following be tried.....

Open Control Panel.

Switch to classic view.

Open "Sound".

Click the "Recording" tab.

Right Click "Microphone".

Click "Properties".

Click the "Levels" tab.

Set "Microphone" to 100.

Set boost to whatever works for your needs.

Message Edited by Mark_Lenovo on 02-16-2008 09:23 AM

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
www.twitter.com/lenovoforums
www.facebook.com/lenovo

English English Community      Deutsche Deutsche Community      Español Comunidad en Español

Punch Card
SanKey1

Hi Lenovice,

Thanks for the advice, but my built-in microphone still doesn't work as detailed earlier in this thread.

Could you publish your specs? It would be helpful to know what RealTek driver & audio codec versions you are using because I'd use them to see if they are the solution. You probably know this, but they are found in the RealTek HD Audio Manager by clicking on the stylized "i" which is just above the OK button. My Audio Codec is ALC262. My driver version is in my sig below.

Your solution, BTW, demonstrates just how screwed up RealTek is and by implication Lenovo is for using it. I mean the idea that enabling devices and capabilities you don't have in order to use standard hardware is some form of defective implementation.

One more question if you don't mind. How many holes do you have just beneath your Audio DJ & where are they located?

Regards, SanKey1
Fanfold Paper
y410probs

Hi all,

Thanks for all the tips (which we all have already tried, to no use) this is a serious software or hardware glitch that these laptops have inherently with respect to the in-built mic and the audio drivers , because my laptop does not support the latest drivers uploaded on Lenovo website (see earlier posts for more) . I do not think tweaking the settings is going to solve the problem although it might alleviate it to record sounds with frivilously low quality (and you might actually enjoy listening to all the funny sounds you hear when you play it). It's sad that I will have to use my warranty but with four months down and no possible solution,thats the only option left. Thanking you all for your feedback.

Cheers!!
y410probs

Punch Card
hanchengwu

SanKey1 wrote:
Hi raghu,

Judging from the complete absence of Vista OS Y410 owners who have said their internal microphones perform properly, I would say Lenovo has a very, very large (possibly in the millions) hidden defect problem.

I plan to make my warranty claim at once and hereby encourage all others whose internal microphone does not work properly to do so.

Regards,

SanKey1,

Did you take any action about the warranty claim, and did you get any response? The internal microphone on my Y410 also has the same issue as described. Have to scream to it to faintly hear my voice in recording. I have updated the Realtek HD Audio driver to 1.83. Changing the microphone settings (recording volume --> max, playback volumn --> 0, microphone boost --> ON, +30.0 dB, Noise Supression, Acoustic Echo Cancellation and Beam Forming all ON) did help but not much. It's interesting to know that from the photos you found (http://www.flickr.com/photos/38381753@N00/sets/72157603904362031/) there are two holes near Audio DJ controls. Mine has only one. Other specification of my Y410 is similar to yours (Core2Duo T5450, Intel 965GM, RAM 2GB, HDD 160GB/5400rpm, Graphics Onboard GMA X3100, ODD DVD-RW, Intel Pro 3945ABG...).

Thanks.

Harry
What's DOS?
Kamalp

I have the same problem with my Lenovo laptop which runs Windows XP Professional.

Can you PLEASE help?

Paper Tape
salsafreak

where do you make the warranty claim ? for internal mic not working.  cna you provide a link for this claim ?  thanks