Support in other languages: 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
KuroiTsuki

Y410: Strange noise from dvd drive

[ Edited ]

Hi! My Y410's DVD drive is acting a bit strange lately. It has been producing strange sounds everytime I insert a disc, and I can feel few vibrations (far from normal vibrations) as the drive reads the disc's content. Aside from that, it takes a while before the system recognizes the disc's content. Should I be worried or does my DVD drive needs a little cleaning? Hoping to hear from you soon! Thanks!

moderator note: model added to title.

Message Edited by Agotthelf on 26-03-2009 12:51 PM
802.11n
Solvan

Re: Y410: Strange noise from dvd drive

@KuroiTsuki,

It could probably just need some cleaning of the lens using CD/DVD cleaner if the drive takes a while from normal reading of  the contents. It happened to me before, it was solved by the cleaner.  You could also try to clean the disc itself.

However, the vibration could be different issue. Does it vibrate on CDs with burned contents or on original CDs? Since Y410 has a RAMBO type - CD/DVD drive,  CDs are being inserted instead of the platter type, the CDs should have even thickness and really flat.

Hope these help.

Paper Tape
axelshift

Does it also include that the CD should not have any paper labels on them? My CD Drive creates an annoying noise that seem to be connected with the spinning of the CD, as if the cd hits something inside the drive.

Halp!

Ctrl-Alt-Del
KuroiTsuki

Hi! My apologies for the late response.

Most of the DVDs I use on this laptop are backups of my voluminous files(I regularly update my backup files on discs). and I've experienced this problem about couple of weeks ago.

Earlier, I decided to do a major backup of my files. After burning several discs, my DVD drive can no longer read every disc that I've inserted. -___-;;

It kept on saying that the disc is blank, which is not.

Should I hurry to the nearest service center to have my laptop checked? My unit, fortunately, is still under warranty.  

Paper Tape
johnnyblaze

[ Edited ]
Would anyone from the admin or Lenovo answer to this one? i have the same problem too. tnx in advance!
Message Edited by johnnyblaze on 04-04-2009 08:33 PM
What's DOS?
abhirit

Ya friend, you should definately worried about it. I faced this problam before and I am a proud owner of lenovo y410 laptop. But the rambo drive is simply rubish. In my warrenty period i replaced it 2 times. Service person said that the problam is logical sys of the drive. Never heared of it before. Go to service center immediately.

Paper Tape
cvignesh

I've replaced so called "RAMBO multiburner drive" 3 times in the 2 years of my y410 775757q laptop, i am fed up of this....i want to know whether a tray load internal slim dvd burner from samsung / sony can be fitted in this laptop ??

Any clarifications would be most welcome ..thanks

"Digitize your Dreams"
What's DOS?
vjradiojockey

hi i had teh same problem with my dvd drive ... i replaced it 2 times while in warranty but the drive actually sucks ... the problem is not new actually ... i did a search on it and found that the brand name MIT**bleep**A of our DVD drive is for late not being able to solve this problem and lenovo is still shipping these faulty drives when they know about the problem ( i suppose ) ... it's 2 and a half years now when i purchased my laptop, after replacing the drives two times i'm fed up of it ... even when i asked the lenovo service center guys they asked me to regularly clean it ... i did but as usual when for some reason i couldn't do that for a week it stopped reading and writing my disks again ... now have no choice to replace it but the problem is that with the rambo drives only those drives can fit in of the same manufacturer's .. so we are dead here ...