Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
sandeepdevasrii

no sound in Linux for Y410 ...

Hi,

I am using Lenovo Y410. I am getting some sound issues with it. First of all, in vista sound is very less. I am not getting good sound with any of  the media players. I tried to roll back the driver to a previous state, but still there is no improvement. In Linux I am not even getting the sound. In some Linux (eg, Fedora 8), after a lot of changes and installation, i am getting it at headphone. But there is no way to work with speakers. Currently I am using Mandriva 2008 and windows vista. Can someone help in resolving this sound issue??

Regards,
  Sandeep P

Paper Tape
Jimmyray007

Re: no sound in Linux for Y410 ...

[ Edited ]
Preface: Total Linux n00b

I tried Ubuntu a few months back, but also could get no sound. I scrapped it, but I just installed SuSE Linux Enterprise Desktop. Everything worked except for sound and webcam (Intel drivers were installed, and it see's Realtek ALC262 in OSS, but no sound whatsoever - haven't tried getting webcam to work yet).

After scouring SuSE, Linux, ALSA, and Lenovo sites, one poster said ACPI had to be disabled in order for him to get sound.

I tried adding "pci=noacpi", which just disables ACPI for PCI devices. Result - still no sound.

However, when I added "acpi=oldboot" which disables ACPI for everything that's not required by the boot process, now the sound works! Headphones work too, but they don't disable the speakers when plugged in. I read somewhere that there are mods to the driver to enable speakers to shut off with headphones plugged in, and re-enable them when headphones are removed. I can also enable or disable headphone options altogether, along with digital audio (never tested, but I can watch the optical turn on or off with the setting change.)

I assume "acpi=off" would work too, but since it disables acpi completely, it could cause problems (haven't tested this mode. My 3D options for video still work properly, as does my wireless, DVD burner, touchpad and keyboard, everything I can think of.

Hope this offers at least a start to better things to the seemingly few of us trying/using Linux on the Y410.

Message Edited by Jimmyray007 on 04-12-2008 12:37 PM
Serial Port
cb750rob

Hi Sandeep,

This worked for me i Ubuntu may work for you in Mandriva

I take no credit for finding the solution offered here, but instead, offer eternal thanks to "jamdess" and "Apprenti_chercheur" for their excellent knowledge of Linux..

The first step is to download the latest ALSA driver and associated files from:- http://www.alsa-project.org/

At the time of writing 02/11/2007 the following versions were available, I suggest you download all of them:-

The following steps worked for me:-
  • Create a folder called "alsa" with the command;-

Code:
    mkdir ~/alsa

• Move the downloaded files to this directory.
  • Execute the following commands from within a terminal.

Code:

sudo apt-get install build-essential ncurses-dev gettext

sudo apt-get install linux-headers-`uname -r`

cd ~/alsa
    tar -xvf alsa-driver-1.0.15.tar.bz2
    tar -xvf alsa-lib-1.0.15.tar.bz2
    tar -xvf alsa-utils-1.0.15.tar.bz2
    tar -xvf alsa-oss-1.0.15.tar.bz2

cd alsa-driver-1.0.15
    ./configure --with-cards=hda-intel
    make
    sudo make install

cd ../alsa-lib-1.0.15
    ./configure
    sudo make install

cd ../alsa-utils-1.0.15
    ./configure
    sudo make install

cd ../alsa-oss-1.0.15
    ./configure
    sudo make install

• Edit your alsa-base file

Code:
    sudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base

• Add the following line to the file

Code:
    options snd-hda-intel position_fix=1 model=lenovo

• Save the file and reboot the computer and hopefully you should now have sound.

Hope this helps

Regards

Rob

Paper Tape
sandeepdevasrii

[ Edited ]

Hi all,

Sorry for being late. Thanks for the replies. I tried all these options in my Lenovo Y410 but was
not working. I have compiled and installed new version that is version 1.0.15 of ALSA. But still
sound was not working. But finally I got the solution from Universal Cynic. Thank you very much
cynic. he has done a lot of experiments with Lenovo Y410 and Linux and shared his experince in the
site http://blog.syafril.com/?p=38. This will be a helpful information for all of my friends who
are interested in using Linux with Lenovo Y410. My speakers are still not working but only headset.
Once again thanks to everybody....

Regards,
Sandeep P

Moderator Note; converted to clickable link

Message Edited by andyP on 04-28-2008 04:36 PM
Paper Tape
graeme

It is a common problem with 3000s and some other laptops using the same chipset. I am using an N200 0769

I have got round it for the moment by using USB speakers. Not ideal in terms of portability, but the quality is a lot better than the built in speakers so I can live with it - although, hopefully, only as a stop-gap.

The other problem is that enabling the 3d desktop blocks hardware video decoding, so you have to use a different driver and quality drops a bit.

Laptops with Linux are still comparatively difficult (but improving). I just installed the same distro (Mandriva) on my father's new desktop, which cost half the price of my laptop, and everything worked perfectly and installation took about 10 minutes. Very annoying.

What's DOS?
sachi1325

I got sound only through my speakers on y410 by adding following lines to the file '/etc/modprobe.conf' in fedora 8 and '/etc/modprobe.d/alsa-base' in ubuntu 8.04 options snd-hda-intel index=0 model=fujitsu Can anybody tell me how get sound working through headphones
Token Ring
sajinsj

Use Open SUSE11.0

I'm now using Open SUSE 11.0 on my Y410, it works fine sound, webcam,cardreader,etc.. even mp3 is supported by default..

The only problem that I encountered is that the Modem is not detected, but Ethernet is.. If your modem is working tell me how it worked..

Please read my experiences with linux, and the discussion on which Linux distribution to use.

http://forums.lenovo.com/lnv/board/message?board.id=Special_Interest_Linux&thread.id=338

Y410-160GB HDD,T5550,2GB RAM
Ubuntu 9.04 -Gnome, Win Vista(not used much) :smileyhappy: Ubuntu rocks...:smileywink:
-------------------------------------------------
Final Year BTech(CSE) Student
802.11n
Solvan

Token Ring
sajinsj

Now video files are also playing...

[ Edited ]

Using the Mplayer now I can play the video files too... I suggest all of you to use the OpenSUSE11.0, all your problems should be solved in it...

Also use mplayer for palying the unsupported formats....

For searching any rpm files(like package dependencies), for any linux distribution that supports rpms(like package dependencies) you may visit the site-

http://rpm.pbone.net/

Hope this'll help you....[:smileyhappy:]

Message Edited by sajinsj on 10-20-2008 10:35 PM
Y410-160GB HDD,T5550,2GB RAM
Ubuntu 9.04 -Gnome, Win Vista(not used much) :smileyhappy: Ubuntu rocks...:smileywink:
-------------------------------------------------
Final Year BTech(CSE) Student
What's DOS?
hardik_handa

problem in vista sound

hey please can anyone help out

i m using lenovo y410 n have been having some problem with sounds in my laptop

playback sound is quite less and re-installing the sound also doesnt help

please help me out