Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
kenleigh

Re: C200 all in one graphics question

Hi Dave,

I went back into the bios as requested and as far as I can ascertain it said ...  Bios release date reg sz 06/08/2010 under that I found Bios version  sz D9KT12CUS   these were the only entries that had a date  all others pertained to the manufacturers andminor and major release but no date were attached to them. Regarding the configuration tab none was listed on the bios page. but after some thought I remembered you asked me to

Go back into Control Panel, Device Manager, Display adapter. Open Display adapter and copy down what you see in the line that comes up. Then double click the line that comes up and send it to you, wil that be what you want ? just in case it is I will relate what I found.

Two lines came up

( ONE)

Intel(R) Graphics Media Acceleratror3510

NVIDIA ION

driver provider intel Corporation

Date 23-09-2009

Driver version 8 14.10.

digital signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatability Publisher

(TWO)

driver provider... NVIDIA

Driver date15-04-210

digital signer Microsoft Windows Hardware Compatability Publisher

Sorry but I can not find any thing relaying to optimus  I even went to the Nvidia control panel and found nothing that said optimus and now, I feel I have failed you .

Regards.   Leigh.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 347
Solutions: 233

Hi Leigh,

I have to find out whether or not the graphics are able to be switched from the bios, or exactly what governs the switching.

You didn't let me down, I'm not asking the right questions because I'm not familiar with a C200 bios.

There are updates for your graphics drivers.  But you have an older bios.  In order for the graphics drivers to work correctly, you'll need the new bios.  I really hate to recommend updating a bios because that is the only update that if it goes wrong, it could turn your computer into a brick.

Every time I have to update a bios, I sit here gritting my teeth until it's finished. You can do everything right and still have it go wrong.

So, you have to make a decision on whether or you want to proceed with this. The first thing to do is going to be update the bios.

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

I spent the last couple of days researching all I could on the lenovo C200 all in one including posts on the lenovo forums and all I could find was a post about the lenovo C200 AIO and it went as follows...

12-04-2011 11:01 AM

Hi, is there any way to disable / turn off integrated graphics (intel gma) and use only nvidia ion on my Lenovo C200 AIO? I know that some notebooks have this function in bios, but I can't find anything here.

12-05-2011 11:48 PM

hey halfman,

welcome to the forums.

as I do not have this particular unit with me, I can't say for certain but usually this feature is to be done via the BIOS.

check your bios and see if it is at version : 14 .

After finding only one article that is similar to mine I then went back in to the bios and looked at everything on the top boxes one at a time  and went through each item .

When I went into the bios the screen had boxes at the top .

The first said  main then devices, then advanced, then power, then security, then start up, then exit.

Going into all these headings   I am fairly certain that the graphics are not listed  in any list that I read so I think that after considering what you said about the risks, all in all I must go for the bios being updated and  if all goes well the graphics can be sorted later..

By the way I found that going into the device manager and clicking the graphics and then the box that says driver , I see a box that says update driver and a box that says disable driver, this was the same option for both of the graphics , do not know if this helps but I assume both drivers are active,  so at least I learned a little more, all thanks to you.

Regards.

Leigh..

topmahof

Hi Leigh, yeh I saw that post, I searched also.

Here is the bios file.  We're going to flash this from Windows.  You need to either turn your screensaver off or set it to something like 45 minutes.  You need to set the sleep timer  to about the same time or never. The same with turning the display off.  You can set this from the Power options in Control Panel.

If you are using Energy Management, click the icon in the taskbar and open it. See if there are any settings in there for sleep and turning the screen off.  Change those also.

We don't want to be in the beginning of a flash and have the computer go to sleep or turn the display off.  That could screw the flash up.

Download the bios file. Make a note where the file gets downloaded to.  After it downloads turn your machine off and start it back up.  Don't just do a restart.  Make sure there are no programs open or running, including any AV software.  We need a clean start so the hardware is fresh. Let the machine run for about 10 minutes and then go to where the file was downloaded and click on it.  It will back up the file on a folder, make a note where it backs it up.  Follow the prompts and it should install.

Once it starts to flash, don't touch anything. Let it do its thing.  It should tell you whether it will shut the machine off when it's done or whether it will restart.  Whatever it does, let it do it.  It might look like nothing is going on, just let it go.

Hopefully everything will go okay and we can go on to the next step.

Good luck,

Dave 

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave

,this is just to make sure I have done everything correctly before doing a flash from windows.

1  the screen saver is set to off.

2 sleep timer set to never

3  turn off display set to never

4 computer sleep set to never

There was a box that said allow hybrid sleep and it was on but I have not touched that box because I was not sure if that should be left as I found it..

I found no energy management on task bar but in search box under energy I found the same options as I did in controle panel under display and the settings are the same apart from allow  hybrid sleep.

if you think I have covered all the tasks mentioned let me know and I will cross my fingers and legs ,close my eyes and pray a little before proceedings to do what I hope will be the next step  in this marathon lesson that you have helped me with .

Regards.

Leigh.

PS (. Whatever happens you have my gratitude for getting me this far)

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

Turn off Hybrid sleep, also.   You should be ready to go.  Follow the instructions above.

Good luck,

Dave

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

I did manage to update the bios all thanks to your help but there was a couple of things that needed more thought , when I downloaded the file it downloaded two items , one said 64 bit and the other said nothing as to if it was 32 bit or not, but I assumed it was so I did as instructed but it would not open, then a box came up saying it had not installed properly so I thought about it  for a while and tried again but this time ran it as administrator as I had done before when something would not open and guess what,   it worked ,I was so excited I yelled out " THANK YOU DAVE" and then watched as it ran just for the joy of it.

It took no more than ten minuets so I clicked exit  when the box highlighted and then closed my pc down then started it again even though it gave no instruction to do so but I wanted to see if all ran as it should , and it did.

I congratulate you on your support for not giving up on me and consider the bios flash lesson to be resolved and await your instruction for the graphics problem that originally crashed my pc before I put the new hard drive in

. I can see the end of this marathon lesson is soon to be ended and hope many will see how good a teacher you are.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof

Whew, I'm glad that worked.  Updating the bios from Windows is always chancy, you could do everything right and it still can mess up.

Run your computer for a day and see if anything is different.  You can put your sleep settings and screensaver back the way they were.  You did say you set a restore point, right?  

Also how about going back into the bios and just making sure that the version reads 14.  Your old one had a 12 in the middle of the version number, the new one should have 14.  

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

it has been a couple of days and all seems well, my bios is now D9K14AUS so you were correct as to the version I have now.

I have a restore point and a back up on a separate hard drive just to be safe in case the graphics crash my pc as I mentioned earlier.

I think I am ready for the next step regarding the graphics, what do you think?..

Can you tell me should I have clicked the resolved button  after you helped me put the new hard drive in or should I wait till the graphics are sorted then click resolve on all?.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

Alright, you have a new bios, good job.

We're going to do the Intel driver first. Windows 7, 32bit, right?  Click the download, run it and see if it installs.  If it does, go into device manager and see if the version changed.  If it did, we'll go to the Nvidia driver.  That one is going to be a little complicated.

Don't click anything solved yet, we still have a ways to go.

Dave