Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
kenleigh

Re: C200 all in one graphics question

Spoiler

Hi Dave,

I do have windows 7 32bit so I downloaded the Intel driver you referred me to and it installed without any problems.

My previous version was 8 14 10  the updated driver is 8 14 10 19 29.

I suppose the second NVIDIA driver is the tricky one as you say but I have faith in your guidance and unique teaching.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof
Topics: 36
Kudos: 328
Solutions: 223

Hi Leigh,

How about running your computer for awhile and just make sure it's okay.  Watch a YouTube movie, see if it lags, try out your screensaver, work the computer awhile.  Open a couple of browsers and a couple of sites, have a movie playing on one of them.  See if anything crashes.  

Let's just see if everything is okay up to this point.  If it is and everything is working the way it is supposed to, we might not have to update the Nividia driver.  If it starts to crash under heavy load, then yes, we'll take it to the next level.  

I'm not one that updates drivers just because there's an update available.  I only update when I have an issue and a new driver fixes the issue.  Let's see what issues come up. The Nividia chip should kick in when the computer is being used hard.  

Dave 

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

I ran my pc for five days and as far as I can see it is ok some of the time.

on you tube  it froze and said you tube was not responding that happened three times ,and on a movie it kept pausing three or four times then was OK.

As for my screensaver it tends to flicker like old movies and sometimes its OK, it as though it can not make its mind up to behave or be annoying.

If you think the nvidia driver does need updating can I please remind you that the Microsoft update for it  that I was told by lenovo never to install because it crashed my PC  twice is the one called ...Display- intel (R)  Graphics media accelerator 3150    I tell you this as it is some time ago since I told you what happened before I put the new hard drive in  and I know I have sent a lot of details in the weeks you have been helping me and you can not remember it all as i am sure you have many others to think of.

The up date was sent  by Microsoft again but I have hid the update as I think the problem with it still exists, but I assume after three years it has been resolved one way or another.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

The Intel driver is the one we just updated with the Lenovo driver.  I agree not to use the one from Windows Update. We haven't updated the Nividia driver yet.  That one might be a little more involved.  The Intel 3150 and the Nividia are two different ones. 

I don't think we can just update the Nividia driver over top of the old one.  I think we'll have to uninstall it first, but I have to do a little research on doing that first. As soon as I'm sure about what to do, I'll post here.

Dave

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!
topmahof

[ Edited ]

Hi Leigh,

The first thing we're going to do is reset the settings in Windows Update so you don't keep getting that Intel driver or any other optional updates that might or might not work.

Go into Control Panel, Windows Updates, on the left click Change settings, then uncheck, "Give me recommended updates the same way I receive important updates.

The Nvidia driver on your machine looks like it was provided by Windows, so it should be okay to install the new one over top of the old one like you did with the Intel driver.

Here is your new Nvidia driver.  Download and install it.  Follow the prompts.  I don't know if it will ask for anything special because I never had anything with Nvidia in it, but it should be pretty straightforward.  After it's installed, go into Device Manager and make sure the Nvidia driver has been updated and that both the Intel graphics and Nvidia graphics are both active.

If everything got installed okay, then we'll go into the power settings and make sure everything is optimized, but first, let's make sure everything gets installed okay. One thing I'll need to know is whether you're using Lenovo's Energy Management software. Is there an icon in the taskbar on the right that says Energy Management? 

Dave 

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

I have changed the update settings as advised and hid the update so I will not see it again and and I have unchecked give me recommended  updates.

I downloaded the driver and have saved it but there was a warning that came with it   saying the program is not commonly downloaded and could harm my computer, and thought it best to check with you first regarding this  matter.

I could find no energy management on taskbar but I do have a power plans  to choose from going into the controle panel, they are as follows..

Balanced.       Which is recommended (I have this option at present)  automatically balances performance with energy

consumption  on capable hardware.

Power saver,      saves energy by reducing performance where possible.

High performance.     favors  performance but uses more energy.

Hope this helps.

Regards.

Leigh

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

Balanced is fine for now, if things are still a little iffy after this driver installation, then we'll tweak the power settings a bit.  We might even load up Lenovo's Energy Management program. 

But first, let's get that Nvidia driver loaded.  Go ahead and install it.  It "should" install over the existing driver.  We set a restore point if it doesn't work right, but go ahead and install it.

How this whole graphics things works is, the computer uses the intel graphics for normal usage and when you use a graphics intensive application, then the Nvidia graphics are supposed to automagically switch on and run.  It's called Optimus, and it works "most" of the time from what I can glean from the forum.  With your new bios and new drivers installed, hopefully, we can make it work.

So, go ahead and install the program and we'll see what happens.

Dave 

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

had a problem installing the driver and I got this message....the contents of the file could not be unpacked , it is corrupt , please obtain another copy.

I did exactly what it asked and was successful installing the second download.

The new driver for nvidia  is version  817 12 7533  and seems OK.

In the control panel there is a performance test for my PC and it was rated as a base score of 3.1  but when I installed the new driver it detected the new hardware and asked to be refreshed which I did but  it has gone down to 2.0   and it appears to be the graphics that has lowered the score is this good or bad?.

I must admit I haven't a clue what this means but thought it may be of some use to you.

I am  so pleased  that the driver installed as you hoped without any problems that I can see and await further instruction.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

I'm glad that everything updated okay, but I don't know why the performance index went down like it did.  Go into Control Panel, Performance information and tools, and on the left side, click adjust power settings.  Click the button for High performance.  

Then use the back button and on the lower right click Re-run the assessment.  Let it run the assessment and tell me what the lowest score is and what it is for. Let's see if anything changes.

Then open a browser and watch a movie and see if it still lags. Let me know what happens.

Dave 

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

I  did as you asked and did the rating again,  the lowest score is..2.0 for. Component, graphics,  item rated,  desktop performance for windows aero     I thought it might go up to  3.1 that was its previous score before the update assuming that up is good.

I saw a movie or should I say half  of it as it was boring but it ran OK and I have not noticed anything else

wrong at present.

Regards.

Leigh