Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
htm1

Re: Disk Partitioning and OneKey Recovery Feature

My problem with the D partition is that many added programs automatically install on the C drive and use up the small space rapidly. Another major annoyance is that Windows Vista sets up user accounts and folder defaults on the C drive. Every time I save a document (or anything else) I have to remember NOT to use the Windows folder, but to drill up to COMPUTER and DOWN through the d drive and many levels to get to the proper place. Drives me bananas!

Lenovo competitors avoid this problem by using the D partition as the recovery partition and leave the C drive for users.

Can I switch names on the partitions?
Punch Card
johnp606

I try very hard to put all new items on the "D" drive.  But that does not seem to matter.  I put two new programs on my "D: drive.  Nero 7 and my HP C6180 all in one software.  Both programs allowed me to select the drive to load at.

When I was all finished my "C" drive dropped anothe .65 Gb even though I checked and found both programs on my "D" drive.

Why, I did not put anything on it?

It seems that every time something goes on the "D" drive a portion of the "C" drive is used.

Why?

At this rate, I will not be able to add many more programs since the "C" will be full. 

The more I use it, the more I come to dislike the computer.
Serial Port
tomwilly

I don't claim to know anything but I am starting to feel confident to start adding programs to this thing, finally. I didn't want to do anything because every time I had to do a full system restore I lost the install file for added programs and had download them again. I have had my best results if I call support in the afternoons. I have talked to two gentelmen at that time who seem to really know the 3000-K100. If you get someone who doesn't seem fully up to speed. They can ask one of these gents for help. I believe the best advise I have been given is to not ever start the basic back up after a full restore to factory settings. That lets One key recovery start saving back ups every time there is a change in the system. Instead, I use the go back date in Windows.
3000 K-100 3gigram, 500gigHD,
type 10005
model 57061330
Last support case # wn018143
Punch Card
redbankweb

[ Edited ]
Hey John and HTM1,

most of your questions can be answered here in this forum. (Or at least tips and work-arounds)

For instance, so you don't have to "remember" to save your documents elsewhere there is this tip provided.

I was given a hit from Lenovo Support for my 3000 K100 57068347

1.  START
2.  Right click on DOCUMENTS
3.  PROPERTIES
4.  CHOOSE LOCATION
5.  C to D
6.  APPLY
7.  O.K.

This will shift those folders automatically.

Message Edited by redbankweb on 05-31-2008 12:16 PM
Blue Screen Again
Ribbit50

Hi
I did this but what about Program Files ?/

Lenovo 3000K100
Model # 57068347
Vista OS
Punch Card
redbankweb

I have found very few programs (AOL IM, being one) that will not give you an option where to install.  Sometimes you have to read the installation options very closely and not just click through.  Usually this can be found under an "OPTIONS" or "CUSTOMIZE" button duriung the installation process.

I simply replace the installation path from a "C" to a "D". (for instance "C:\program files\Adobe\Acrobat" to "D:\program files\Adobe\Acrobat")
Punch Card
johnp606

I have done exactly what was suggested in the last three messages.

My problem is that even when I add the programs to the "D" drive, the "C" drive looses space. 

It even seems like the "C" drive looses more space than the amount of program data put on "D".
Punch Card
redbankweb

JohnP,
That is a bit unusual.  It's my understanding that programs will need to write some info into the registry, Windows System folder etc., but these should be very small files.

I have no idea why so much info is going to your C as well as your D drives.
Punch Card
johnp606

That has been my problem from the very first.

I started with a 350 Gb that was split with a "C: being 30Gb.  I did everything suggested and have 8 Gb left on the "D" and 150Gb left on the "D".

I cannot understand my problem, and Lenovo does not seem to have a solution.  I am very close to having to start all over and eliminate the partition and the Lenovo recovery software and just use the Windows Recover feature.

This has been the most frustrating computer I ever had.  And I built my first computer in 1979.
What's DOS?
WolfRider

I went completly away from their game and totally did away the paritioning, setting up a C: drive and added a second sepaarte D: drive and now use Drive Clone to an external USB drive taking nightly incremental updates.  I feel this is safer and performance improved and I can alway restore from this drive with my Boot Recovery disk.  It also gives me full use of my drive the way I see fit to use it.