Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
OBARmuscle

H430 Audio CD's skips and stutters!

[ Edited ]

Just purchased a brand new H430 desktop. All drivers are up to date and sound play smooth on youtube and online videos.
However, when i put an audio CD in to play it skips and stutters. I thought it might just be Windows Media Player, so I downloaded VLC player but the problem is still there.

( I also tried 5 different CD's, 2 being brand new CD's and they all skip and stutter. I also tried the same CD's on my brother's computer and they worked flawlessly. SO the disks themselves being bad is out of the question)

I'm scared my CD drive or laser is bad AND I just bought this computer less than 3 days ago. Hasn't worked since I took it out of the box and hooked it up. 

Solution? Help? Thanks! 

Lenovo Staff
Serene_Lenovo

Re: H430 Audio CD's skips and stutters!

Hi OBARmuscle

Sorry to hear about your issue - saw your tweet!

Anyway did you try performing OneKeyRecovery?

Hope this helped....

-serene 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
OBARmuscle

Appreciate the reply, but a few things:

- I don't have a laptop. 

- I do see the "One Recovery" key on the F2 Key on my keyboard, but what is that suppose to do to make my CD player stop skipping? Are there options once i get in  there? Again, this desktop computer is BRAND NEW.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

OBARmuscle,

First - welcome to the forum, and sorry to hear about your skipping CDs...

It is possible there is something wrong with the drive and that you need service, but let's try a few things first...

1) Reboot the system and go into BIOS.  See if there are settings for the DVD / CD drive... on some systems, I think there was a setting for performance / compatibility mode.  You might try compatability and see if that helps.

2) Does the audio skip / stutter when playing back audio from local sound file - MP3, etc, or from a video like youtube?  If so, then perhaps we have some kind of driver / resource issues.  If not, and only with audio CDs, then it may truly be an issue with the drive.

3) Try a DVD in the drive - can you watch a movie?   If so, how is the audio playback there?  Any skipping or stuttering?  

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
Program Manager, Lenovo Social Media (Services)
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
OBARmuscle

Tried everything you offered:

1) I reset into BIOS but there was no such option that you mentioned the DVD/CD drive settings.

2) YouTube and other online audio plays without an issue. I've also tried downloading a song and playing it on Windows Media Player, and that audio plays fine as well.

3)  DVD worked fine as well.

So from everything I've tried the only problem is with the audio CD playback.

Retired Employee
NINE

hi OBARmuscle,

Was reading through you thread and from i gather your issue is very rare. Because from what I gather you mentioned that Mp3, youtube and other media source play fine. However you did mention that the DVD played fine too. Which i suppose we can rule out that it is a harware issue. I not really sure at the moment what's causing the stuttering but if you could provide like sound recording and post it on youtube or anywhere with link, we might be able to analyse it...

do let us know 

Ctrl-Alt-Del
OBARmuscle

Yea, okay here is the link to a Sound Recorded clip of a brand new CD to give you an example.

http://youtu.be/n1M66zppCAg

It seems like it is a hardware issue like you said, even though i'm still hoping an audio option/update can be toggled and fix everything but it's not looking so good. 

What is my next step IF it is a hardware issue. The computer is less than a month old at this point, and I do have a 2 year warranty plan from Staples.

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

[ Edited ]

Obar,

The stutter doesn't sound like a driver / latency issue because all of your other sources seem to play fine.   Since you can play DVD's ok, it sounds like your drive should be ok hardware wise...

I know that you have tried multiple CD's that will play somewhere else...

I have to ask whether these might be recorded CDs or are they normal music CDs (not recordable)?

At this point, I'm going to suggest it is time to contact service and let them have a look at it and you might see if they want to get one of your CDs to test with.   

Mark

ThinkPads: S30, T43, X60t, X1, W700ds, IdeaPad Y710, IdeaCentre: A300, IdeaPad K1
Mark Hopkins
twitter @lenovoforums
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Ctrl-Alt-Del
OBARmuscle

Mark, 

Thanks for the reply..

These are normal Music CD's straight outta their plastic wrapper from the store BRAND NEW.

So I guess it is time for me to have someone look at it. 

Do i call the customer service number or what do i? 

Administrator
Mark_Lenovo

OBAR,

Bummer on the CDs.  I'm just not sure what else to suggest other than maybe the drive on your particular system just has some unexplained glitch.. 

Let's trying contacting Lenovo support - 877-453-6686 for US customers.   Expect to cover some of the same ground with them as they do problem determination, but this thread should help you streamline that as you've already done your homework.

The support agents will be able to schedule the repair as necessary...

Best regards

Mark

Mark Hopkins
twitter @lenovoforums