Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
WEB1
Accepted Solution

Lenovo H420 Desktop takes over 5 mins to boot up

[ Edited ]

Hi,

We have a Lenovo H420 desktop that takes over 3 mins to boot up. After you switch it on, the monitor displays a black screen with 'Lenovo' in white writing and remains with this screen for minutes on end seemingly doing nothing (hard drive  cannot be heard working and it's activity light doesn't flash). After about 3 minutes Windows 7 suddenly loads in a matter of seconds.

Any ideas what is wrong? Is this normal?

We've only had this computer for about 3 months and it has been doing it since we bought it. We reset the computer back to its factory settings but that hasn't changed anything. Bios doesn't seem to be accessible as no startup screen saying press del for setup etc shows.

Kaspersky and Malwarebytes doesn't show any nasties.

Thanks

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 238

Re: Lenovo H420 Desktop takes over 5 mins to boot up

[ Edited ]

Hi WEB1 and welcome to the community,

Here's your Hardware Maintenance Manual .  On page 16, it shows how to get into the Setup Utility Program.

Check the configuration, it might be set to do a memory check or something before booting.

Do you have anything plugged in to USB, like an external hard drive, a phone, a flash drive that it might be trying to boot from?

Dave 

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
WEB1

[ Edited ]

Hi Dave.

Thanks for replying. Have tried what the maual says by either holding F1 or pressing repeatedly until the beeps sound and it does nothing. The black screen with 'Lenovo' just displays as usual.

Oh, probably should add that when you switch the computer on, it never shows a POST screen like most computers, just the 'Lenovo' splash screen for 2 mins or so and then straight into loading Windows.

topmahof

Hi WEB1,

That Lenovo screen you see should be the bios screen.

How about trying to press F12 at startup, (I have a U160 and I have to press Fn+F12), and see if you can bring up the boot order.  See if there's anything in front of the hard drive as far as booting.  There should be an option at the bottom of that screen to enter setup, see if you can get into the setup utility from there.

Just press the F12, don't hold it down, it might take a couple of trys to get the timing right.  I press mine just before the Lenovo screen comes up and when that screen comes up, it says at the bottom, entering boot order.  Holding it down just boots into Windows.

Does F8 bring up the safe mode screen?  

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Paper Tape
WEB1

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply. Tried what you suggested and it didn't work; the keys did nothing. So I removed all peripherials, switched the computer on, and it loaded up lightening fast. It turned out it was a card swipe scanner that was causing the slow startup problem. Without it, the bios settings can be accessed and the computer loads fast. The scanner isn't faulty because I tried our spare ones and the result was the same. Thought if I changed the startup sequence so hdd is 1 and usb fdd etc are excluded would sort the problem out, but it didn't.

At least we know there is nothing wrong with the computer. We'll just have to live with the slowness!

Many thanks for your help and time.

topmahof

Hi WEB1,

At least you figured out what it was.

Dave

What's DOS?
maggiel

I tried the link for the hardware maintenance manual but it doesn't work. Is there a new link? I need to get into Bios as I need to configure the boot priority so that the first boot device is the cd rom device and I need instructions how to do that and then how to change back.

On this subject why wasn't the hardware maintenance manual incuded with the computer

Community Moderator
zoltanthegypsy

[ Edited ]

Hello and welcome,

Here's the current version of the manual:  Lenovo H4 Series Hardware Maintenance Manual V1.0

And the user's guide: Lenovo H4 Series User Guide V3.0

For future reference, these are available by going to SUPPORT (above ) -> QuickPath (enter model or machine type) -> Guides and Manuals

Z.

The large print: please read the Community Participation Rules before posting. Include as much information as possible: model, machine type, operating system, and a descriptive subject line. Do not include personal information: serial number, telephone number, email address, etc.

The fine print: I do not work for, nor do I speak for Lenovo. Unsolicited private messages will be ignored. ... GeezBlog

What's DOS?
maggiel

I went and changed the start up in the set up utility but it didn't work. The only other USB CD/DVD is excluded from the start menu. I need to be able to load my rescue disc from my anti-virus company. Do you have any suggestions?