Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
kenleigh
Accepted Solution

hard drive warning

I have a C200 series all in one that has windows7 home premium, it is just three years old and iwas thinking of upgrading but did a full diagnostic with the toolbox to make sure all was ok.

i was devasted to see that my pc passed all but three of the tests they were as followed...target read test ...failed

smart short test....failed and surface scan test... failed

I was told to back up my computer as my hard drive was about to fail.

This was the first computer i ever had so i am no expert, so can any one tell me was it somthing i may have done to cause this or is the hard drive failure normal after three years?

I also did a disc check of all files and they werel fine, so now i look to the community for any help and advice on the matter doi throw it out and put it down to a bad experience or can it be saving .

Kenleigh.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 366
Solutions: 238

Re: hard drive warning

Hi kenleigh and welcome to the community,

Hard drives fail.  They might fail in a month, they might last years. It isn't failing because of anything you did or didn't do.

Did you burn recovery discs?  If you didn't, now would be a good time to do so, because you are going to have to restore the system onto a new hard drive.  It would also be nice if you were able to do a full backup onto an external hard drive.

Your hard drive is going to fail.  Once it starts showing errors, it's only a matter of time.  Usually, not much time.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

thank you for your advice,

, I have recovery discs and a full back up on a separate hard drive but I am wondering if the expense of a new hard drive being put in to my lenovo is worth the  cost compared  to buying a new tower system instead, then go from there.,  If I do does that mean I have to purchase a new windows 7 disc or can I use back up to install windows again.?

As you will be aware lenovo does not supply a windows 7 disc with my computer its preloaded when purchased.

topmahof

Hi kenleigh,

If you have recovery discs, that will restore the OS back the way it was when you got it.  You can also use the discs to restore the system from the backup that you made. You won't have to buy a new OS. 

Only you can determine if your current system is worth keeping or upgrading to a new system.

I have a bunch of older laptops around here that are still viable for what I use them for.  I guess it just depends on what you use your system for.

Prices of hard drives are still a little high because of the flooding in Thailand.  You'll have to weigh the cost of the hard drive against buying a new system.   

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi dave,

many thanks  for the in depth advice and options that you gave me and thanks for putting it in a way that is easy and straightforward , as I think this way is the best for all to understand from the novice like me to the higher up on the knowledge ladder.

I consider this matter resolved as all I have to do is make a choice that I did not know I had if it were  not for your advice.

Your a star!

Regards

Leigh.

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

Thanks for the kind words.  I try to keep it simple. It's nice to know that what I say makes sense.

Here's a link for your Hardware Maintenance Manual.  Page 33 shows how to replace the hard drive.

Dave

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi dave

, thank you for the link to the manual, I am thinking of replacing the hard drive but I am con fused as to what hard drive to get. so I have a final question if you don't mind.

all I seem to see is hard drives  for lenovo lap tops ,do you know what hard drive will fit my lenovo all in one? All I know is, I need a new hard drive but getting the right one to fit  is confusing after looking at so many.

many thanks.

Regards .

Leigh.

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

Your machine does take a laptop hard drive. Like this.

Your machine originally had an 80 Gb, right?  Get the same size or bigger, don't get one any smaller or your restore discs won't work.

This one at the link shows all the specs in the description, that's why I linked this one.  It doesn't have to be a Western Digital, it could be a Toshiba or any other brand, it just has to be a 2.5" form factor like a laptop.  

Dave 

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

thanks for the tip regarding hard drive size but when you put a question mark regarding original size of 80Gb I looked at specifications of my pc that I assume are the same as when purchased three years ago  as I have changed nothing regarding them  

I did not find  80Gb as the original specs but the ones below are the ones I had from the day I got my pc.

the specs are as follows...windows 7 home premium.

Processor intel (R) Atom(TM) CPU D510 @1.66 GHz 1.66GHz  Ram 2.00GB system type 32-bit operation system .  Single touch input available.

Don't;t know if it makes a difference to anything but

Would I be ok to look for one that is 2.00 Gb or bigger in a 2.5" form factor like a laptop?.

Many thanks for your patience, its rare to find in today's world.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof

[ Edited ]

Hi Leigh,

here is another one.  Make a note of the specs.  It doesn't have to be this brand.  From what I could see from the spec. sheets your machine came with an 80 Gb hard drive.

Click start, computer, C: should say what the total capacity is. If it says 74.5 GB, that means it's an 80 GB.  Hard drive manufacturers and Windows measure the capacity two different ways, that's why the two totals are different.

Hard drives are made in a lot of different capacities.  You can go up to a 500 GB, although it sounds like you don't really need one that big.  The bigger they are, the more expensive.  I'd say a 160GB or a 200GB is still fairly cheap to buy.  

Whatever you get, just make sure that it is new.  I wouldn't trust the ones that say refurbished.

One more thing.  Before you open up your machine, run your hands under water to discharge any static electricity.  I've seen static electricity kill a motherboard.  Ok, two more things.  Make sure you have the proper size screwdrivers to fit the screws.  A lot of the screws are going to be soft headed screws and they are easy to strip if the proper screwdriver isn't used.  Almost anybody that sells electronics will have a cheap set of small screwdrivers that will work.  

I've never taken an all in one computer apart, but it doesn't look like it would be that difficult.  Just be patient.  No need to rush.

Dave