Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
kenleigh

Re: hard drive warning

Hi Dave,

I went to start,computer.C  and it said local disc 236Gb free of 272Gb,  and when I went to properties it said ..Used space is  36.5Gb.and the  free space is   236GB,  so i assume I need a one at 272 Gb or higher to put in my pc or am I going nuts with my figures? All I can say for sure is  seem to have used very little of what I have.

Hope this clarifies the hard drive size as I think as you do that its important to get the right size if  I am to replace what I have, either way let me know if KGB or bigger is correct.

Hope to leave you in peace and once again many thanks for your patience and fortitude in helping a novice like me.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof
Topics: 35
Kudos: 352
Solutions: 238

Hi Leigh,

It's good that you checked.  That hard drive is bigger than I thought it was.

There's other partitions on there that the Lenovo Preload puts on there for recovery, so that drive is bigger than what C: says it is.  I would say it's a 320 GB or a 500 GB.

To find out exactly how big it is, go into Control Panel, Device manager, Click on Disk drives, copy the line that will come up under Disk drives and either type that into a google search bar and search for it or post what comes up here and I'll find it.

That'll tell you exactly what drive you have in there and how big it is. 

The consensus around here is that the recovery discs won't work on a smaller hard drive than what was in there, but they will work on a bigger hard drive.  I haven't tested that consensus out yet.

And don't worry about bothering me, this is no bother at all.  It's what we do here.

Dave

If someone helped you today, pay it forward. Help Someone Else!
English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

I followed your directions and it said...

WDC WD3200BEVT-24A23TO ATA Device

so  would I be correct in thinking a 500 Gb would do the job nicely.?

I will Google it to have a look at what comes up but I  would have peace of mind if you look as well, as I do not want to make the choice without your input , I will let you know how I went on when I have replaced my hard drive as its the least I can do after all the input you have given me, and with your advice and fair winds I will be singing your praises once again.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof wrote:

Hi Leigh,

It's good that you checked.  That hard drive is bigger than I thought it was.

There's other partitions on there that the Lenovo Preload puts on there for recovery, so that drive is bigger than what C: says it is.  I would say it's a 320 GB or a 500 GB.

To find out exactly how big it is, go into Control Panel, Device manager, Click on Disk drives, copy the line that will come up under Disk drives and either type that into a google search bar and search for it or post what comes up here and I'll find it.

That'll tell you exactly what drive you have in there and how big it is. 

The consensus around here is that the recovery discs won't work on a smaller hard drive than what was in there, but they will work on a bigger hard drive.  I haven't tested that consensus out yet.

And don't worry about bothering me, this is no bother at all.  It's what we do here.

Dave

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

Here is your exact drive.  It's a 320Gb.  You hardly used any space on your last one, I really don't think you need a 500Gb.  

You shouldn't have too much trouble finding one, they're pretty common.

Let me know what happens.

Dave

English English Community   Deutsche Deutsche Community   Español Comunidad en Español   ru.gif Русскоязычное Сообщество
Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi dave,

thanks for the link ,it was very helpful and i will let you know how i get on.

I googled as you said and found the one you did and one from seagate.

i have a silly question to ask and that is how do i let you know personally  how things turn out, do i post on the cumminity board and hope you see it  or is there a way to make sure you get my message?.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

You can post in this thread.  I subscribe to anything I post in, so I'll get an email notification that there is a reply.  I check emails about 10 times a day, so I'll be sure to get it.

When this thread is done, it will have completed solutions in it and I'm sure it will help somebody else.

Dave

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

I ordered the type of hard drive you suggested, then realized that when I have installed it that I do not know how to put windows 7 back on my computer as no disk came with it.

I have a back up on a  western digital external hard drive that I assume will take care of that problem , and I have the lenovo disk driver pack and two rescue disks but how to proceed once the new drive is  in I have no idea, so once again I need your excellent guidance that a beginner like me can follow.

Thank you for the advice  of what to do before touching the new hard  I understand its  importance and my small knowledge is growing thanks to you.

Regards.

Leigh.

topmahof

[ Edited ]

You have the two rescue cd's.  Are they labeled one and two?  You're going to switch your hard drives and boot from the first rescue cd.  A prompt should come up on the screen when you boot it, "press any key to boot from cd".  Press any key and follow the prompts.  

If the prompt doesn't come up right away, then start the machine back up and at the Lenovo splash screen, press F12, (Note:  On my U160, I have to press Fn +F12),  and that should show a screen with a list of bootable devices.  Choose the CD drive.  Make sure you start the machine with the cd already in the drive.

If I were doing this, I would use the rescue media to restore the OS to factory specs, just to make sure the rescue media works as designed.  Then, once the OS is restored, I would use OKR to restore to the backup that you made on the external hard drive.  

The key to doing this are the two rescue cd's.

Edit:  Here's a video that might explain it a little better. 

Dave 

Punch Card
kenleigh

Hi Dave,

thanks to your clear expert guidance, and great patience,I was able to put a new hard drive in my lenovo c200 all in one computer and as you know I am a complete beginner when it comes to computing of any sort .

Putting the hard drive in was daunting but as you advised I took my time and followed your guidance.

The hardest and longest part was getting the back off the computer it took twenty minuets and was mainly due to the clips holding it on (there was no screws),  they were so difficult to force out that it was obvious that great care was needed  or I would break something.

However I managed in the end but would strongly recommend that lenovo have screws rather than clips to secure the back panel as it would make the removal 100% quicker and safer in regards to causing damage when opening.
Well dave you might be surprised to know who you were sending all your help and guidance to, as you know my name is leigh  but what you did not know is I am a  64 year old woman and if you can teach me you can teach anyone and in my book you are a great teacher.

I will ask you a question about the graphics card in my next e-mail,but for now this one is all about the praise you deserve.

Regards.

Leigh

topmahof

Hi Leigh,

Congratulations, you are now the local computer expert.:smileyhappy:

Thanks for the kind words. I'm really glad that everything worked out okay.  I wondered how you were getting along with this.

Patience was the key to this, for me and you.  I try to explain things as I would like them explained to me and  it doesn't make much sense to rush something like this. It's good to hear about the successes.

Thanks for the heads up on the clips, that's also good to know.  

Start a new thread about your graphics card and I'll keep an eye out for it.

Again, congratulations,

Dave