Configuring Linux to run on UEFI based systems where GRUB fails to install

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎02-09-2012 by
Modified ‎02-13-2012 by
(1,518 Views)

Configuring Linux to run on UEFI based systems where GRUB fails to install

Question

How to install Linux on UEFI systems where GRUB fail to install? Because after installing Linux, my MBR is messed up, and I get a "no operating system found" at system startup.

Answer

Question: How to make GRUB work in my machine?
Answer: You should convert your HDD from GPT partition table to MBR partition table (or MSDOS in Linux) and after that install your Linux OS.

Question: How can I convert my HDD from GPT to MBR partition table?
Answer: You can use Ubunu or another Ubuntu based distro in live mode. In live mode, find the program GPARTED. Wait until it recognizes all your drives and select your HDD. Right click over it, and choose the option to create a new partition table. Choose MSDOS from the list. Hit ok than apply/commit all changes. ATTENTION this will erase all your data and MS Windows (or any other OS) will disappear. Your HDD is now converted in MSDOS or MBR. You can now boot your preferred distro, create your partition scheme and install Linux.

Question: Do I need to make any changes to my bios settings?
Answer: If you have a capable UEFI and LEGACY bios, put the bios in Legacy boot only or Both enabled with Legacy boot first.

Question: Can I dual boot Win7 and Linux on a UEFI capable bios?

Answer: Yes you can. If your HDD is formatted in MBR partition table (or msdos) than you can install first windows 7 and than the distro of your choice. BUT, careful, if you install windows from a DVD media it will convert your HDD in GPT partition table and dual boot will be almost impossible... (or will give you a lot of headache)  to avoid this, dump the win7 iso to an usb using Windows 7 USB/DVD Download Tool. Installing from USB will not change the hdd in GPT partition table.

Contributors