Installing Linux on X series systems

Helpful?
Click ►
Started ‎11-23-2010 by
Modified ‎11-09-2010 by
(724 Views)

Installing Linux on X series systems

Question

I have an X series based system and would love to install Linux on it.Is it possible to install Linux and if it is any pointers for the same? 

Answer

An  easy way to use an USB stick to install any linux distribution is using UNetbootin. It works with a lot Linux distributions.

Check the given link for more detailed information 

Comments
by cookdav on ‎11-11-2011 11:41 AM

Normally, it is very straight-forward to install Linux for a dual-boot setup, on any make/model of

computer.  Normally, the exact model is NOT the relevant factor at all.

So, my general advice, would be to ask for help in the Linux-specific 'forums' for the exact 'distribution'

that you desire to install/use.  e.g. if your choice is MEPIS, then ask for help in MEPIS forums.  if your

choice is Ubuntu, ask for help in Ubuntu forums, etc.

Typically, that Linux distro's procedure will have you start by booting up the existing, already-installed

Windows (e.g. WIndow-7 or whatever) and use its built-in disk-manager to  'shrink' the large 'c-partition

to a smaller size, which will then result in having what's called 'un-formatted' free space on the hard-drive.

Typically, you would want to shrink by about 10GB + 50-100GB (for total of 60-110GB).

Then you'd boot up the Linux install medium that you've created or purchased (typically, from either

a CD or DVD or flash-drive), and run the Linux partition-mgr to now 'format' the exposed new space.

Normally, you'd create 2 partitions...one for the Linux-OS itself, of about 10GB in size, and the second

for a separate '/home' partition (where user-accounts data will reside, for 1 or more users).  That

second partition would be between 50-100GB in size.  During the Linux-installation, you also

choose one of several methods for controlling the 'boot-menu'...either letting Linux now control the

'MFD' (master-file-directory area of the hard-drive), or alternatively installing a boot-manager such

as Easy-BCD onto Windows-OS, then choosing Linux's boot option of writing its boot-info into

that first 'root' partition only.

I've done both methods, and now find the second one (using EasyBCD)

at the most flexible.  That said, many Linux-distro-based advisors are more familiar with having

Linux control the 'MFD'.

by jarome on ‎07-24-2014 05:42 PM

I have a Carbon X1, and want to also install linux in dual boot. I made a boot USB drive and I get to the GRUB menu. But thereafter, when I say run Linux, nothing happens.

Contributors