Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
kalifstorch

[BIOS Bug] Enabling Fn/Ctrl swap breaks [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Up]

[ Edited ]

Hello all!

I'm very used to the standard keyboard layout, where the ctrl key is on the very left. Therefore I enabled the Swap Fn/Ctrl key option in the BIOS of my Lenovo Edge 11 AMD (2545A12, Bios 1.08).

Unfortunately this has the effect, that a very specific key combination is no longer working: Ctrl+Alt+Up

Ctrl-Alt-Down/Left/Right keep working as ususal. The problem does not happen with disabled key swap option.

This clearly seems to be a bug to me. Any hints on how to receive a fix?

Thanks & Regards

- Ben

Retired Employee
Serge1410

Re: [BIOS Bug] Problem after enabling Fn/Ctrl swap: Ctrl-Alt-Up no longer working

hey kalifstorch,

curious to know the ctrl-alt-up combo, what does that do ?

Anyway, have you tried doing an update on your system to check if your bios is updated to the latest version?

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
Paper Tape
kalifstorch

Re: [BIOS Bug] Problem after enabling Fn/Ctrl swap: Ctrl-Alt-Up no longer working

Hello Serge1410! Yes - BIOS is already the latest. The named key combination is i.e. used to change the current Desktop under Linux or to Shift block within a Software Developer IDE. Curiously The left/right/down combinations all do work, only the up combination stops working after enabling the Fn/Ctrl Swap.
Retired Employee
Serge1410

if this is happening on a linux-based OS, then I would suggest posting this in the linux thread.

WW Social Media
Important Note: If you need help, post your question in the forum, and include your system type, model number and OS. Do not post your serial number.

Did someone help you today? Press the star on the left to thank them with a Kudo!
If you find a post helpful and it answers your question, please mark it as an "Accepted Solution"!

Follow @LenovoForums on Twitter!
Have you checked out the Community Knowledgebase yet?!
How to send a private message? --> Check out this article.
andyP
Topics: 180
Kudos: 713
Solutions: 632

Serge1410,

I've moved the thread to here for you.

Andy  

Please remember to come back and mark the post that you feel solved your question as the solution, it earns the member + points

Did you find a post helpfull? You can thank the member by clicking on the star to the left awarding them Kudos
Please add your type, model number and OS to your signature, it helps to help you. Forum Search Option

T430 2347-G7U W8 x64, Tablet 1838-2BG, T61p 6460-67G W7 x64, T43p 2668-G2G XP, T23 2647-9LG XP, plus a few more.
FYI Unsolicited Personal Messages will be ignored.

de.gif  Deutsche Community   es.gif  Comunidad en Español  uk.gif  English Community

PepperonI blog 

Paper Tape
kalifstorch

Re: [BIOS Bug] Enabling Fn/Ctrl swap breaks [Ctrl]-[Alt]-[Up]

I doubt this is a software/Linux problem. Same effect here under Fedora 15/Gnome: There this key combination is the essential as the desktop is only vertically oriented.

Can anybody try to assign this key combination in Windows, enable Fn/Ctrl swap and report if he shares the problem there?

802.11n
user6

[ Edited ]

Same problem on Lenovo Thinkpad Edge E320

Ubuntu 11.10

Updated Bios to latest: 1.16/1.15 - 15 Dec 2011 (8nuj08uc.iso)

xev is not reporting any key when pressing combo Ctrl+Alt+Up, therefore I also doubt it's an Linux issue.

This is very annoying since the lenovo bios generally does not seem to work stable - makes no good impression on me :smileysad:

See also (open since 2011-04-13)https://bugs.launchpad.net/unity/+bug/760148 

802.11n
user6

Update: Latest BIOS still DOES NOT SOLVE the issue.

Bios: 8nuj09uc

Release date: 01. Apr. 2012

Version: 1.17/1.15

Shortcut [cntrl]+[alt]+[up/down] does not work as expected where  [cntrl]+[alt]+[left/right] works fine.

What's DOS?
johnwayne1986

I can confirm that this is not a Linux specific issue. I get the same behaviour in windows. The key kombination Ctrl+Alt+Up does not work properly (Ctrl+Alt+Down/Left/Right works for me). I also swapped LCtrl with Fn via the BIOS. There is again a newer version for the BIOS (1.18/1.16), but its change log does not say, that this issue was resolved. However, I did not try it, since I do not expect any change from it.

A way to still use this key combination is as follows:

1. Hold down Ctrl+Alt
  2. Hold down Up
  3. Release Ctrl+Alt
  4. Release Up

At step 3 (intead of step 2) it recognizes the key combination correctly. I know it is not very nice, because usually you use these key combos with step 3 and 4 swapped, but better than nothing.

And again: Exactly the same situation in windows. So could someone move it back to the right topic, please?

Paper Tape
LeCanardfou

Will this issue be fixed one day? Same thing on an x121e, last bios... It is quite a shame nothing is done in order to address this bug...