Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
ubuvo

Does all hardware of a Thinkpad Edge E525 work?

[ Edited ]

I would like to buy a new computer tomorrow. The Thinkpad Edge E525 (AMD A4-3300M with AMD Radeon HD 6480G (shared), product number NZ62GMZ, 12002GG) is in the pole position, but I did not find a review how the hardware works with Ubuntu: Friendly Ubuntu for Lenovo friendly.ubuntu.com/?laptops=on&stars=3&release=4&popularity=any&term=Lenovo Ubuntu certification for Lenovo: www.ubuntu.com/certification/make/Lenovo/laptops I would be grateful for any speedy answer whether all hardware of the E525 works with Ubuntu (especially 11.10). And if not, what are the issues and have you find a solution. Thanks!

What's DOS?
robdefriesse

Re: Does all hardware of a Thinkpad Edge E525 work?

I bought an E525 about two weeks ago.  I've been trying to install Debian 6.0 (squeeze) on it for the last few days.

I'm seeing problems with three things:

1. The Realtek rtl8188ce Wifi chip.  Neither the kernel (2.6.32) nor the realtek driver package have a driver for this chip.

I found a driver at www.wireless-driver.com.  Find the page for Realtek and then find the driver that matches the chip and kernel you're using.  It needs to be built as an add-on module.

What I've read seems to indicate that the add-on drivers have problems with the hardware: dropped connections, etc.  If you have the option of upgrading to a 3.* kernel, there's a built in driver that's experimental.  I don't know how reliable that is.

2. The touchpad.  I'm not making a lot of progress with this.  The synaptics driver that's distributed with Debian does not recognize the touchpad.  I don't know where to find a working driver.

This might help someone smarter than me to find a work around:   On my T500 the touchpad is recognized as "SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad".  On the E525, it's recognized as "PS/2 Synaptics TouchPad"  (with the leading "Syn").  Maybe this is why it's not recognized.

3. The ATI Radeon HD graphics (I believe the chip is an HD6480G, but I'm not 100% sure)  XOrg (distributed with Debian) doesn't recognize this chip.  I don't know what version of XOrg this is.  However, XOrg 7.5 claims to include a driver for the HD chips called "radeonhd".  I don't know if this will solve the problem.

What's DOS?
robdefriesse

One more data point.  Using the latest 3.* kernel resolves both problems 1 and 2, the wireless driver and the touchpad.  See if you can upgrade your kernel.

This leaves the driver for the Radeon HD.

Paper Tape
ubuvo

Good news! I dared to buy it before I got an answer. And Ubuntu 11.10 (alternate, AMD64) works with fine with our Lenovo, we bought Thinkpad Edge E525 (AMD A6-3400M with AMD Radeon HD 6520G, product number 12002JG).
So far I only found one minor issue: It does not recognise MMC-cards. Touchpad and network/wireless card gives me no problems, although the touchpad did only work after a reboot.

But there is probably a problem with the ATI graphic card, but I followed the answer of Isaac Joseph in another question and that helped me through the black screen after installation:

1) Go here and download the alternate install live CD.
    2) Boot and install from the alternate LiveCD
    3) After installation, boot with nomodeset
    4) Drop into TTY, log in as usual [I had a hard time to find a terminal/command line as the screen was black, so I went through the installation process (with the CD/USB drive) again; at some point, I chose to return and to go to the command line. Probably there is an easier way to do it.]
    5) Install fglrx: sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install fglrx
    6) After it's finished, just reboot and boot normally. You should be able to boot into Ubuntu 11.10.
    Also, I should mention that everything will seem kind of sluggish. If you install compizconfig-settings-manager and turn off "Sync to Vblank" in General --> OpenGL, everything will be visibly faster and smoother.

Probably because of the nomodeset "error: no video mode activated" appears just after the BIOS loaded. The loading Ubuntu logo and the encryption password question are not as nice (pixeled). Not sure if this can be changed. But the starting of Ubuntu works fine and afterwards I don't notice any video or screen problems.

What's DOS?
henius

APU and the machine works superb accept the **bleep** wifi with realtek it doesnt work even on new kernels as it should...But I would like to know is it posible to replace this card with intel? What model should I buy?
Thank you for the answer.