Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Ctrl-Alt-Del
gordonbp

Dual-booting Ubuntu 13.04 with Windows 8 on a U410

Hi!

I have a U410 on which I would like to dual-boot Ubuntu 13.04.

I've run it up on a live flash drive, everything works OK.

When it comes to the actual install I'm a bit nervous as I've never had a machine like this before, it's only two months old, and I've never had a machine where I didn't have a Windows install disk!

The installer sees the 500 GB HDD, so I assume I can create a partition on that.

Where do I put the boot loader though? It's telling me it wants to put it on the SSD.

Is this where it should go?

Are there any detailed steps listed anywhere?

I'm assuming that because the installer sees all the partitions and disks, I don't need to turn off UEFI or RAID....

Thanks!

Paper Tape
martinetchart

Re: Dual-booting Ubuntu 13.04 with Windows 8 on a U410

I want the same thing. 

I think you have to disable Intel Smart Response Tecnology from BIOS first if you want to use de SSD but I'm not sure what else is needed. If you want to keep windows booting and working fast you should not use the SSD...

In my case I would like to install Ubuntu on the 24GB SSD but put the home/ folder on the HDD. But I'm looking for the optimal solution... maybe putting boot and swap on the SSD is best... any advice would be great!

Paper Tape
martinetchart

I finally made up my mind and installed Ubuntu 13.04 dual booting and is working correctly.

First my machine is a Lenovo U410 with 750GB HDD + 24GB SSD. I will be mainly using Ubuntu so I dont care about fast booting Windows. Ubuntu is booting really fast.

My actual configuration is:

SSD: 500MB boot/ + the rest for / (root)

HDD: 200GB Windows + 8GB swap + the rest for home/ 

These are the steps:

1) Make space on the HDD for home and swap

To keep windows running without issues and not to mess up with recovery partitions and that stuff I made that space directly from windows. On my HDD I had the main Windows partition plus 20GB ''Lenovo'' partition that was empty so from disk partitioning tool on Windows:

a-Delete Lenovo partition (should result un unallocated space)

b-Shrink Windows_OS partition to 200GB.

I had some trouble here beacuse I had used windows for a week so I wasn't able to shrink all I wanted. I tried doing it directly from ubuntu live installation and I messed up the windows partition at the first try so I had to reset my machine with the One Key Recovery to the Defaults. After that i was able to shrink all I wanted.

2) Disable Intel Smart Response Tecnology. Directly from the BIOS, seach it and disable it. Windows will prompt a message saying its not enabled but nothing else.

3) Boot Ubuntu Live CD and choose to manually partition.

a - I had my SSD (sda) partitioned from factory into 20GB+4GB so i chose a new partition table to format that disc and from there used 500MB for /boot and the rest for / (root).

b - Locate the free space partition on the HDD (sdb) and make 8gb for swap and the rest for home.

c - I usead the SSD for bootloader so that was untouched.

4) Install.

5) After installation I restarted and the hole thing kind of hung up so I turned it off. When I turned it on it all worked ok.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
gordonbp

martinetchart wrote:

plus 20GB ''Lenovo'' partition that was empty

Mine isn't empty - it's got the drivers in. What did you do with that?

Paper Tape
martinetchart

Make a backup of that drivers or you could just le that partition untouched.

I did that to maximize space for the home/ partition.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
gordonbp

martinetchart wrote:

Make a backup of that drivers or you could just le that partition untouched.

I did that to maximize space for the home/ partition.

Thanks for that - just one last question - what does the SSD actually contain and do in the Windows setup?

Paper Tape
martinetchart

I dont know really. I know its just for cache and for the use of ISRT. I formated it totally and nothing bad happened.

You can leave the SSD and ISRT untouched and install ubuntu fully in the partition you make on the hdd. In that case tha booting should go in the hdd i think but im not sure.

Paper Tape
mikeymop

[ Edited ]

I've been using Ubuntu on this computer since 12.04 was released and since this thread wasn't closed I'll provide some closing documentation for other u410 users. Ubuntu is growing in popularity and this should help with new users.

Please note that I bought a u410 Ultra with Windows 7 (intentionally) and things may have changed since the new Windows release.

________Intro________________________

It is best to know how Intel Rapid Start Technology works before messing with your partition table. Windows is installed on the HDD (500/1tb depending on model) with a 2nd partition holding the drivers necessary for one-push recovery. Note that modifying Intel RST, any files on the 30gb SSD or removing the recovery partition with the windows drivers will break one-push recovery. Because of this you should learn how to reinstall windows 7/8 using a USB driver before you continue.

________ Prep_________________

Assuming you know how to install Windows, and you backed up the recovery partition onto your USB drive (or got drivers from the laptops support page on Lenovo.com it is now time to install Ubuntu.

Download the Ubuntu ISO from their website, and download univeral usb installer from here:

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/downloads/Universal-USB-Installer/Universal-USB-Installer-1.9.3.6.exe

Usage of the USB installer is pretty straightforward, I can follow through with a how to if a reader needs it.

__________ Prerequisites____________

Now that you have a bootable USB drive, reboot into the computers BIOS and disable 'Intel Smart Response Technology'. This takes frequently used Windows files from the HDD and puts them on the SSD for quicker access. Removing the SSD or modifying it's contents only has the side effect of Windows booting and running a little slower.

Installation

Now you have three options:

-If you primarily use Windows, you can reinstall it onto the 30GB SSD

-Install Ubuntu on the SSD, and leave windows untouched

-Your last option is to put both Ubuntu and Windows on the HDD and not use your SSD at all.

I chose the 2nd option, I put ubuntu on the SSD. In addition to putting Ubuntu on the SSD for SSD speeds, I split my HDD in half. 500gb for Ubuntu and 500gb for Windows.

When I got to "Where to install Ubuntu" I chose custom. Here you will see two devices /dev/sdax (x being a number assigned to the drive, usually 1) and /dev/hdax. SD for SDD and HD for HDD.

The SSD should have two paritions, one is a fat32 partition with the name 'efi'. Dont touch this, it is used to store secure boot keys so the computer will boot Windows. Ubuntu is versatle and can reuse the Windows efi file.

The rest of the SSD is a ~30gb ntfs partition. Since you disabled Intel RST the SSD isn't going to be used at all. So you can install Windows or Ubuntu here for fast boots, it can't however fit both comfortably.

In this guide I will install Ubuntu here, creat an ext4 partition here, and for the mount point choose /

Switch to /dev/hda and shrink the Windows partition to half this size, do this by dividing the total disk space by 2 (the partitioning software counts in increments of 1024 so if you want a different size you can choose so with some simple math).

Most seasoned Linux users recommend making at the very least a 2nd partition for /home. In Linux this is where all your personal data is stored, you can reinstall any Linux distro and if you mount /home all your files will be right where they used to be. Its similiar to having a Data partition or a separate Harddrive for data if you're using Windows. In linux the transition from SSD is HDD seamless, it's all done in the background for you. I have done exactly this.

Now that your Windows partition on the HDD is shrunk down. Creat an ext4 partition in the newly freed space, for the mount point, click the drop down menu and choose /home.

Finish the installation.

________ Jumping through hoops______________

For me, 12.04.1 and 12.04.2 didn't install correctly because it didn't properly use grub-uefi. 12.10 installed and booted fine and when I used 13.04 on release day it didn't install properly (this could've been changed, if you check 'install updates while installing in present day it may go through.

Because of this issue, of not booting 13.04 (raring) I installed 12.10 and ran these commands in terminal:

$ sudo apt-get update

$ sudo apt-get install updates

$ sudo apt-get dist-upgrade

When you reboot you will see an option for Ubuntu and an entry for Windows.

________ Conclusion / TL;Dr _______________-

My disk scheme looks like this:

SSD:

262mb efi partition

30gb ext4 partition mounted point: /

HDD:

500gb ext4 mount point /home

500gb NTFS partition 'Windows'

I recommend updating Ubuntu Raring and rebooting one more time, updates will push you to the newer 3.8 and 3.9 Linux kernels which a much more power efficient and run well on Sandy and Ivy Bridge Intel computers.

I hope this helps, if anyone has any questions feel free to ask. I hope this imformation is worth the nasty bump.

Ctrl-Alt-Del
gordonbp

Thanks for a very clear step-by step instruction.

However my disk partitioning doesn't seem to follow yours - this is what I have:

Disk partitioning.JPG

How should I deal with that?

Paper Tape
mikeymop

Dont use Windows disk management. I'd recommend gparted, you can use it by booting an Ubuntu cd, or by making a gparted disk. Please note that making any changes to the paritition table will break Lenovo One Touch Recovery and that you should be confident in reinstalling an OS.

EDIT: I found that Windows 8 doesn't like to be 'manhandled' by other partition managers and you should actually use Windows Disk Management for the actual changes.

On Disk 1, those three partitions on the left (1000, 260, 1000) one of those three are the efi partitions the other two could be specific to Windows 8, you'll have to let me do research on Winwos 8 to give you a definitive answer.

According to this link, they keep the fully licensed Office on it if you purchase it from Lenovo so if it's infact empty feel free to erase it.

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/forums/1/tech-helproom/4190621/what-are-all-these-partitions-on-my-new-la...

I would boot into the Ubuntu Live CD and look at the contents of those partiions. The 25gB lenovo contains your device drivers, you can copy those off and safely delete it. As for the Unlabelled 20gb, I bet it's used to Windows 8 new recovery feature. I would actually leave the unlabelled 20gb intact until you can confirm that.

Here is what I would do:

Disable Intel RST in Bios, Erase the two 1000mb Partitions (after emptying them) Shrink Windows 8 to 350gb  (make sure to shrink to the left)*, erase the Lenovo Partition (after emptying it). Use the freed space to make a 8192 swap partition, and the remaining space into ext4.

Now choose which OS you want to fast boot, if you install Ubuntu completely on the newly created ext4 partition (~130gb) Windows 8 will fast boot when you reenable Intel RST.

If you want Ubuntu to fast boot, erase the 18.86gb partition and make an ext4 parition in it's place. Make the 18gb mount point / and the ~130gb mount point /home.

The 4gb partition on Disk0 is mostly likely used for suspend to disk. Lenovo puts a page file on the SSD so windows can resume from hibernation extremely fast.

Outside of erasing all you data on Windows, or erasing the efi partition, getting things back to normal isn't that difficault. I actually erased my efi partition and had to re install Windows because of it, it was a learning experience.