Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
amondal13

Installing Ubuntu on the Y480

Hey guys,

I just got the y480 with the 32gb caching drive and i'm unable to install ubuntu on it. The main drive already 4 partitions (the max number of bootable partitions allowed), and I'm unsure on how to go about installing ubuntu. When I load into ubuntu from a flash drive, it says my only option is to wipe my main windows partition and install ubuntu. Ubuntu says that there's no operating system on the main windows drive (i imagine this is the case because some of the windows files are on the ssd), so i'm not really sure what to do here. 

If anyone has had success or knows how to dual boot ubuntu on the y480 or any similar machine, i would really appreciate the help. Thanks!

Paper Tape
_invalid_

Re: Installing Ubuntu on the Y480

Are you using Wubi?

Paper Tape
amondal13

I tried but it loaded into grub for some reason and not ubuntu...then i tried it from a flash drive and that didn't work either.

Paper Tape
_invalid_

Do not use the Flash drive way.

Well, try removing any Linux/Ubuntu stuff you did.  Then, downlod Ubuntu from here: http://www.ubuntu.com/download/desktop/windows-installer.  After that,  select the Hard Drive that you want, making sure it has free space (Atleast 15GB for best preformance).  After that, let it download, reboot your computer (Don't click Reboot Now button on the installation), reboot manually.  Once your computer reboots, it should automaticly launch Ubuntu.  It will preform some stuff.  Just wait a little.  Then after that, you want to make sure you get to the Ubuntu desktop, and reboot once more.  You should have an option on the dual boot.

Options:

Windows 7 > (Assuming you're on Windows 7)

Ubuntu >

Blue Screen Again
eadeli

I am having a same problem. I have tried both installing ubuntu from a usb drive and installing using wubi. I think it is because Y480 has both HDD and SSD and the SSD is used for intel rapid boot or something like that. When using the USB/CD installation method, ubuntu installation does not verify windows and wants to do a full installation and erase windows. I am not sure if it would also work (I have not tried it). When using wubi, after the installation is done and after you reset, it says that it is corrupt and ubuntu does not load. At least the windows 7 option still is there and it loads.

Any ideas? 

Thank you.