Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
rokytnji

Re: Lenovo Desktop and Linux/ Suse??

I have a Netvista M41 6794-21UC, !.8ghz Pentium M, 1.128 ghz SDRAM, with 200 GIG IDE And 40 GIG IDE Hardrives. Ensonoq PCI sound card. Onboard Video.

On 200 gig Hardrive, I flashed Bios to enable Big LBA.

170 gig partition with Windows 2000 Pro with Big LBA Enabled In Windows also.

30 gig Partition has Xubuntu 8.10 (Wubi Install)

All DVDRW functions function properly. Broadband functions correctly via landline. Webcam works using Spyke and XKaw TV.

Flash works, still working on Mplayer to play some of the Webs Divx Videos. (Divx is installed through Synaptic and Divx addon shows up in firefox and restricted extras are installed) .

On 40 gig Hardrive

20 gig Windows XP Pro

20 gig Ubuntu 8.04 LTS (True dual boot grub install)

All DVDRW functions function properly. Bradband functions correctly via landline. 

Webcam works using Spyke and XKaw TV.Flash works, Divx movies play on Ubuntu.

Ubuntu loads faster than Windows 2000 or XP. Xubuntu a little slower because of Wubi install, it would be faster as a true boot install, but I am exerimenting with Xfce Desktop, as I am more familiar with Gnome than KDE or Xfce.

I have other Linux distros installed on my Laptops, (which are not IBM by the way), but since this is a IBM forum I will leave that part out.

Linux Registered User # 475019
Linux: Ubuntu 8.04,AntiX 8.2,Xandros 4
Punch Card
rokytnji

Just got in a wiped hardrive  IBM M57 6075 BHU Today. Went into bios to see what might need changing. Went to exit and found ALL the menus for saving changes disabled and greyed out. I was lucky that cdrom was on 1st boot device.

M5 was no help after pressing Ctrl+P. It wouldn't take changing the password. Went ahead and booted up a few live cd's. No modem detection (broadband wired router) in Mepis 7 or Dream Linux 3. Ubuntu 7.10 and 8.04 picked up the modem.

Went ahead and installed Ubuntu 8.04 i386 because this box only has 2 gig of ram. I have enabled medibuntu repositories and flash and evolution mail is up and running. All updates are done. Enough for today. Just figured I would post this in case anybody else with a wiped IBM M57 needs to get it working.

Now on to figure out what the heck is up with bios not being able to save changes.

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

rokytnji wrote: 

Now on to figure out what the heck is up with bios not being able to save changes.

At the BIOS password prompt are you just hitting enter? If so someone has set a Supervisor BIOS password but not a user password. This allows you to look but not change anything. You need to enter the Supervisor password at the BIOS password prompt, then you will be able to change settings. 

If a password is set you will have to get it from the person who set it. Any discussion of password cracking will not be allowed in this forum.

Good luck.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Punch Card
rokytnji

Quote:  If a password is set you will have to get it from the person who set it. Any discussion of password cracking will not be allowed in this forum.

Good luck.

I bought this box off ebay from a corporate reseller, with the hardrive wiped for security reasons. No way to get admins password so I will have to pursue other avenues. I got a few irons in the fire, so no worries. And I wosn't asking how to crack it, I can figure that out on my own. Happy Trails, Carbon Unit.

Retired Moderator
carbon_unit

Cool! I'm glad you know how to purse this discreetly. Now you know what to look for.

Registered Linux User #160145

FYI: I am not employed by Lenovo
Punch Card
lenlinuxfan

I have been using SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED) as well as OpenSUSE on Thinkpad equipment since 2005 (T23, T42p, T60, T60p, X41, X60, X61, X300) with no major issues.

The latest versions of SLED and OpenSUSE have been very easy to use on Lenovo hardware.  Both SLED and OpenSUSE know how to co-exist with Windows on the same machine.

SLED is the enterprise version and as such, more stable.  The trade-off is that when new equipment arrives, it can take a bit longer to get the appropriate drivers.  And even that will not be an issue since SLED 11 will be out soon.

OpenSUSE is for the enthusiast (much like Fedora and Ubuntu) and with their fast release cycle you get everything but the kitchen sink.

It's also well documented, so getting a truly workable desktop is easy.

My $0.02

Serial Port
sam-c

Re: Lenovo Desktop and Linux/ Suse??/ linux fans

Thanks Linux Fans.

Since my Last Message.

Ubuntu 8.10, and at Present Kubuntu 8.10

I have Found that for Fun Sun xVM VirtualBox latest versions is very effective to try out any Linux Virtually including Fedora, Mandriva, Open Solaris, Open Suse etc... xVM seems to be very Smart on Connecting ADSL and all the "Brokering" Between Host and Client OS.

Also there is a Linux Symphony version for Ubuntu (Special IBM version of OpenOffice).

Keep Up with your Responses.

Join 

http://www.care2.com/c2c/group/linuxsoc Linux for a Better Society.

Happy New Linux Year 2009.

Samuel Cohen
Jaffa

Lenovo J200 Desktop with Linux
Token Ring
Sxooter

[ Edited ]

I'm still running Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS and am pretty  happy with it.  Seems they got all the nasty wrinkles ironed out for my laptop.  I have a partition with 8.10 beta 6 on it, that I'm waiting til an opportune time to install 8.10 final on it.

SL400 intel gfx, core duo 1.8GHz T5670 cpu, 4Gig 667MHz ram.  Runs circles around my old T42.

Course, I have bigger faster machines at my disposal, but I've also got mainline servers with less cpu horsepower still running, so it's nice to know that in a pinch I could always throw it in a farm of machines if I had to.  :smileyhappy:

Message Edited by Sxooter on 01-03-2009 01:39 AM
Paper Tape
arashiko28

Installed ubuntu 8.04 on my Ideapad Y530 and got some bumps in the road because of drivers. When I upgraded to 8.10, they all went  to history. Feel pretty happy with it, thinking anbout getting rid of vista and truly using my hole hard drive. Now trying to figure out the only thing that doesn't work yet, the touch inductive panel. So if anyone nows anything, please help. :smileytongue: