Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
Lothlorien

Lenovo Thinkpad T520 doesn't boot with GPT slices on FreeBSD 9-BETA3 - BIOS bug?

Hi!

I've bought a brand new :smileyvery-happy: Lenovo Thinkpad T520 laptop and decided to install FreeBSD 9 Beta 3 following this guide.

But when I rebooted the system, it simply doesn't boot (turns out to the BIOS boot menu).

It's even doesn't boot with default FreeBSD 9 UFS-on-GPT installation scheme through bsdInstaller

Changing BIOS (latest, 1.31) settings BIOS Startup->UEFI/Legacy Boot from "Both" to "Legacy only" has no effect. As FreeBSD AFAIK doesn't support UEFI boot, legacy boot should work picking up and starting pmbr (protected MBR record), but it doesn't.

However, FreeBSD 9 UFS-on-MBR installation (with mbr boot record and FreeBSD slice in MBR partition instead of  GPT) works fine.

It seems to me that UEFI/Legacy Boot "Legacy" setting actually has no effect if 0xEE type Primary partition entry is present on disk.

First of all, has anyone installed Linux or FreeBSD with GPT partitioning scheme on latest Thinkpads?

And the second one, as I've saw similar problem on FreeBSD forum thread about T420s laptop I believe that this may be a bug in the BIOS. How can I fill the bugreport or send an e-mail to support or developers, as, obvious, phone support can consult only about Windows OS.

802.11n
Volker1

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T520 doesn't boot with GPT slices on FreeBSD 9-BETA3 - BIOS bug?

I've got similar problems on my W520, it doesn't even attempt to boot from my GPT disk. Really it should be possible to boot GPT disks both in BIOS and UEFI mode, both Linux and FreeBSD support this (though as usual, Windows can't). I've got a suspicion that the Thinkpad bios/efi is not simply executing the first stage bootloader, but looking around on the GPT disk and then crapping its pants when it doesn't find Windows.

Right now I have a MBR-formatted harddisk in the ultrabay with the bootloader in the MBR. Once I get the bootloader off the MBR disk, I can easily continue to boot from my GPT-formatted SSD.

Paper Tape
Lothlorien

Re: Lenovo Thinkpad T520 doesn't boot with GPT slices on FreeBSD 9-BETA3 - BIOS bug?

Volker1 wrote:

I've got a suspicion that the Thinkpad bios/efi is not simply executing the first stage bootloader, but looking around on the GPT disk and then crapping its pants when it doesn't find Windows.

Right now I have a MBR-formatted harddisk in the ultrabay with the bootloader in the MBR. Once I get the bootloader off the MBR disk, I can easily continue to boot from my GPT-formatted SSD.

Yes, it seems that it's a BIOS bug at least on T520, T420s and W520 laptops. Even in "Legacy" mode first stage bootloader doesn't execute if partition type is 0xEE (GPT).

Hope Lenovo developers will fix it. They fixed something on BIOS 1.31

[Problem fixes]
- Fixed an issue where the computer might not be booted from bootloader program.

but it doesn't work for now. Pity. :smileysad:

Punch Card
niriven

[ Edited ]

Same problem here with my W520 (1.34). I am using FreeBSD 9.0 release. Event VirtualBox boots GPT.

I asked an "expert" on the site and they said call a number for support. I called and there is only one option, for service requests and they said they do not support this issue. How are we suppoed to get this issue realized and find out how to get it fixed?

Paper Tape
mcg132

Also ran into this problem with a T520 and latest BIOS 1.34.  

Lenovo's UEFI booting BIOS is buggy -- Just look around here trying it with Windows 7 and notice if you have an issue.

http://forums.lenovo.com/t5/T400-T500-and-newer-T-series/Installing-Windows-7-64-bit-on-ThinkPads-wi...

I started with Lenovo's recovery disks which places three MBR partitions on the disk.  Booted to a linux cd to run gdisk and convert the existing partitions to GPT.   Rebooted laptop -- boot fail.

Paper Tape
quasartp

Hi fellow-sufferers! Same problem here on an E520 thinkpad. Legacy can't boot from an "ee" Protective MBR / GPT partitioned disk. Latest BIOS 1.23 for this model is installed. It' s a shame that lenovo only supports windows and ignores linux problems. Above problem should be easy to fix! Has anyone made direct contact to the devs of this BIOS series? Regards, Martin
What's DOS?
wrosiak

in the newest bios from may 2012 (1.37) for t520i problem still exist. I was try everything - but i have no positive efect. It's sad then lenovo not fix it...

What's DOS?
michaeldexter

This fix works on my T420 and x220i:

http://lists.freebsd.org/pipermail/freebsd-i386/2013-March/010437.html

The FreeBSD developers are aware of the issue.