Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
j3st

Linux laptop same as Windows except the OS?

Hi,

So it turns out I have a Windows license and plan to work on Windows (Vista) on my laptop. But lenovo offers linux machines at a lower price, so I am planning to get a linux laptop, then removing the linux distro and installing Windows as the laptop's only OS. Can this be done reliably and safely? Also, will the laptop be exactly the same as if I bought a Windows laptop with the same specs?

Also, I plan to travel. Will there be voltage issues with the recharger? Or would it work for anyway in the world? (Assuming that I have an adapter for different wall sockets.)

Thanks in advance,
Justin
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Re: Linux laptop same as Windows except the OS?

if you are thiking of installing vista on that laptop do check out the hardware specs first..you can run the windows vista upgrade advisor to determine whether your linux laptop can run vista or not

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
j3st

Thanks, I already checked out the specs on the machine, and they should all run Vista fine - even the Aero visual effects. So installing Windows and wiping SuSE should be just as easy as putting the Windows disk in.

I have another question though. The linux lenovo machine forces you to have the Intel 3945ABG network card instead of the Thinkpad ones that come standard for Windows machines. Would the Intel 3945ABG card work seamlessly with Windows as well? Doing a quick google on the issue, I got lots of results saying how there were wireless issues related to lenovo laptops.
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

hi

you should know that linux kernel uses generic drivers some times for some devices..but mostly it will give support may be linux doent support ibm's device you are talking of...

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Paper Tape
Sydius

It's almost certainly the other way around -- Linux not supporting the default network card.  Almost all manufacturers of PC hardware write Windows drivers, and few bother to make Linux drivers (except for server-grade hardware, which is another story).  As a result, Linux users are left to their own devices in getting hardware to work, and this often means using generic drivers, as the other poster said.
Fanfold Paper
janz84

Intel loves linux and support for windows is ok.
Retired Guru
amace

If you were to do this, the only differences would be that a) there will be no hidden partition, b) the Thinkvatage software won't be installed, but this can be dowloaded and installed c) without the thinkvatage software, many of your Fn+ x shortcuts won't work, as well as the blue thinkvantage button.
T61 15.4" T9300 (2.5GHz 6MB L2) Windows 7 Professional x64 4GB Memory, NVidia Quadro NVS 140M
Paper Tape
thanquol

[ Edited ]
You are kind of living in the past...

For Lenovo and Linux: Lenovo support

And for newer Lenovo like X300, a salesman told me that I can get all of their newer laptops with Linux pre installed and support for their ThinkVantage concept etc. (I'll actualle get a X300 for reviewing any day now:smileyhappy:

Today some say there's better hw support under Linux than under Vista, what I'm saying is that HW support is hardly an issue now a days under Linux. Its more like that its only obscure hw that lacks Linux support today.

Its easier for ordinary people to upgrade drivers under Linux today than under Win, a single Linux download & upgrade will give you the newest drivers available for your machine, whereas in Windows you would have to surf to multiple sites and download all the upgrades individually and install then accordingly to the manufacturers specification (various).

And Linux is better for our environment...
And for 64-bit support under linux/windows - just google
Do you have bigger amount of RAM and want to use it under linux/windows - just google
Do you want to get most of your system (not only use on processor for the OS/Antivirus/Firewall etc.) - just google

Linux is better in all of these areas.

I agree that I cant run DX10 under linux and som other obscure windows apps, but I do run linux alternativs - most of them under GPL (free in its right word)

Message Edited by thanquol on 06-11-2008 05:14 PM