Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Paper Tape
udutronik

Linux on SL series : whats your choice of distribution?

From your experiences, what linux distros work best on SL series : speed, hardware compatibility, ease of configuration of hardware that is not immediately recognized...?
Punch Card
latkahgravis

Re: Linux on SL series : whats your choice of distribution?

Ubuntu is your best bet.
Fanfold Paper
GDLWyverex

Non of them will totally support the machine as it is somewhat Linux unfriendly, however, I find that Mandriva 2009.0 and Fedora support it as well as it can be supported, right out of the box without having to search for wifi drivers and Xorg drivers as I understand is the case with Ubuntu.

Try out the Ubuntu live to see if it works satisfactorily for you, and if you find it deficient, then you can try out the Mandriva 2009.0

Mandriva actually has a live CD as well that you can boot without destroying the hardrive. It comes in x64 and i586 flavors, for the SL get X64. It also comes in KDE or Gnome flavors, take your pick, I prefer GNome of the 2 though on my own systems I use XFCE

Punch Card
lenlinuxfan

I would try either OpenSUSE 11.1 (if you consider yourself an 'enthusiast')  at http://www.opensuse.org/en/ -OR-

I would check SUSE Linux Enterprise Desktop (SLED)11.  at http://www.novell.com/linux

SLED 11 is what they call a 'technical preview release'.  Meaning: it's not their final release, but close to.  

OpenSUSE 11.1 has 'everything' thrown into it while SLED is Novell's attempt at dividing the Desktop and Server market.  However, if you're looking for that 'extra' component (e.g. driver or Java JDK) as part of the distro, it will most likely be in SLED.

Good luck.

Token Ring
Sxooter

Note that with Ubuntu you'll want to go to at least 8.10, and if you can handle running a beta, try the 9.x release that's being worked on.  You can run 64 or 32 bit.  Note that unlike windows, 32 bit linux can access > 3 gig of ram, aleit a bit slower than 64 bit linux, and the flash plugin seems to work a little better in 32 bit.  That said I run 64 bit linux and live with restarting firefox every couple of hours when the npviewer wrapped flash plugin starts going crazy.

I'm stuck making 8.04 run because my laptop needs to emulate our production environment which is running on 8.04 LTS. 

buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 142
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 119

i would mostly go for SuSE 11.1 or probably fedora -10!

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Token Ring
garytr23

been using ubuntu jaunty for 4 months on my sl300, i tried fedora 10 for a couple hours and it felt troublesome in comparison.

have to install manually:

madwifi-hal-testing for my ar242x

hotkey and brightness driver:

http://github.com/tetromino/lenovo-sl-laptop/tree/master

Lenovo SL300 Owner
earning an MSECE at GATech, with undergrad in BME.
Fanfold Paper
bkranthi4u

i have installed ubuntu 8.10 on my SL 400 machine. the wireless description reads "ThinkPad 11b/g Wireless LAN Mini PCI Express Adapter III"

I am not sure if I have to install additional drivers or if it is not supported. I am unable to coinnect to internet when i boot into ubuntu

but wireless is working fine when i bootinto vista.

can someone please help me out

Token Ring
Sxooter

Most likely you have the atheros based wifi adapter.  Run

lshw -C net

and see what it has to say about the setup.

If you have the atheros chipset, you'll need to download the madwifi tarball and make it and install it.  Not that hard really, just remember you have to make / make install it each time you update your kernel.  

Paper Tape
udutronik

I've tried ubuntu 8.10, 9.04 fedora 10, mandriva 2009.1 and opensuse 11.1 on my SL300

I've found that all those distros did a good job overall.

EXCEPT for the webcam, a syntek webcam that I never got to work.

Anybody succeded?