Support in other languages: 
Serial Port
itpastorn

Linux on the W701

I have every intention to buy myself a W701, not the DS version, but otherwise pretty maxed out.

That is a substantial investment and not something I'd do without careful research.

I have on more than one occassion asked Lenovo Sweden if it would be possible to get one without Windows. I don't care about having Linux preloaded. I would probably just ditch that installation and do my own anyway, since it most probably would not be according to my taste.

Lenovo Sweden just won't answer me. I tried mail, I've phoned them. They did not answer my emails, they have not returned any phone calls.

So here are my two questions:

1. Can I get one without any OS (or DOS 6.22 or something like that)?

2. Does anyone have a status report on running Linux on the W701?

The sad fact:

I think Thinkpads are the best notebooks. Full stop. But somehow Lenovo is missing the opportunity to sell me a pricey, high margin computer - even though I am doing everything in my power to get one.

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

Re: Linux on the W701

Unless you are a corporate or large bulk buy customer, Thinkpads are no longer offered in barebone system configuration. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
802.11n
Jimbo

itpastorn wrote:

Does anyone have a status report on running Linux on the W701?

Itpastorn, see:

http://forum.thinkpads.com/viewtopic.php?p=574068#p574068

Serial Port
itpastorn

OK. Having a Red Hat employee talk about Linux on this particular laptop is of course authoritative. Thanks for pointing me to those messages.

Still, if anyone else has some further experience to share, I woulf be appreciated as well.

Serial Port
itpastorn

Despite my long love affair with Thinkpads, the fact that HP offers Freedos on the HP EliteBook 8740w (Mobile Workstation Quad Core VG305AV) makes me wonder if I should persist.

Is there any way at all to talk to someone who is responsible at Lenovo?

lead_org
Topics: 128
Kudos: 1,201
Solutions: 1,276

itpastorn wrote:

Despite my long love affair with Thinkpads, the fact that HP offers Freedos on the HP EliteBook 8740w (Mobile Workstation Quad Core VG305AV) makes me wonder if I should persist.

Is there any way at all to talk to someone who is responsible at Lenovo?

I think your option is limited in that regard. Since Lenovo has been quite clear regarding the bundling of OS with Thinkpads for low volume customers. I really don't think Lenovo would budge for a single order. 

Regards,

Jin Li

May this year, be the year of 'DO'!

I am a volunteer, and not a paid staff of Lenovo or Microsoft
Blue Screen Again
JanPihlgren

Hi ipastorn

Sorry that I answer your qestion this late.

I purcased a W701 in may 25 and installed Linux with no problem. My choise is Mandriva Linux 2010.0.

The only drawbacks so far is that I didn't get the sound to work but I find I workaround.

So as I know, Linux will work.

Best regards//

Jan P

Serial Port
itpastorn

Thanks for your reply. I've been to busy to buy myself a new laptop, so I'm still shopping.

May I ask a few follow up questions?

1. 32 or 64 bit Linux?
  2. With or without built in Wacom?
  3. Single or dual screen (not that I really want the DS version anyway, but I like to know)?
  4. Have you tested attachinga flash memory through the ExpressCard slot? (Very special question I know, but I have an unused 64 G really fast card that Linux won't pick up properly on my z61p).
Blue Screen Again
JanPihlgren

Hi again.

I have installed 64-bit version of Mandriva 2010.0 PWP.

My laptop is without Wacom and single screen.

No I havn't test Expresscard.

But as I have 8 Gb memory and now also a second 500GB hd. Installing the extra hd was very simple, works out of the box.

Regards// Jan P