Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Serial Port
Cargojack

Linux or Ubuntu on an S10 Netbook

I have a Lenovo S10.  It runs great, but in the spirit of gadgetry and curiosity, I would like to see what Linux or Ubuntu would be like on my S10. I would love to be able to boot it up from a USB drive. I have tried to read and understand the various online articles on this sort of project, but just couldn't figure it out.  I was wondering if someone helpful and patient could explain to me how to get Linux/Ubunto or some variant to boot up from a USB drive on my S10.

Thanks in advance for yoru help.

Cargojack@skidbox.com

What's DOS?
shiv

Re: Linux or Ubuntu on an S10 Netbook

Me too. I am getting an S10 (hopefully today) and I would like to install Fedora Core 10 on it. If anybody has succeeded in installing any flavor of Linux please post what distro you used. Thanks,

--shiv--

Punch Card
Elmer

Check out this site: http://www.pendrivelinux.com/ . It has lots of install tutorials. I haven't done it yet, but have been curious, too.
Serial Port
Cargojack

Go to Google and do a search for unetbootin-windows-282.exe

That program will create a boot image on a USB drive.  It allows you to select one of a variety of versions of LInux/Unix or UBUNTU to put on a USB.  I have been playing with it and running it to put differnt variants of linux on my 8 GB Sandisk Cruzer.

Try this link http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&client=firefox-a&channel=s&rls=org.mozilla%3Aen-US%3Aofficial&hs=...

Punch Card
lenlinuxfan

If interested in a SUSE Linux based image, you can follow the links that the other folks have already posted, or you could try SUSE Studio (just Google it).  SUSE Studio allows for the creation of OpenSUSE based images that can then be placed on USB drivers, or VMware machines as far as I understand it.
What's DOS?
shiv

I have actually installed Fedora Core 10 on my S10 from a 4GB USB drive. I used a previous partitioning set-up from installing OpenSuse that left my Windows XP in a smaller partition and created space for a Linux partition. So I have a dual-boot set-up with one-key recovery still intact. To get my broadcom wireless chip to work I turned on rpmfusion.org (non-free) and installed the broadcom wireless driver. So I do have wireless. Hibernate works pretty well too. I am not so sure about suspend. I have been using this for several weeks now, and I am very happy with it.

--shiv--