Support in other languages: 
Paper Tape
afield

New to Linux, Do you suggest?

Hello Lenovians,

I am in the process of purchasing a new Lenovo, and I do not like vista.  I am new to Linux, and I am thinking about trying out the Redhat(??) or Sled 10 versions which is available with the thinkpad i am looking at. I do mostly online applications via mozilla and very little programs besides word and excel.(That I can think of).   I am looking at the T61 14.1" T9300 2.5Ghz,  2GB(1DIMM), 100GB mem 7200rpm.   I do want the 802.11n wireless and also I have a verizon pccard.  Will either version handle the software for my verizon, or is there a way to get around that?

I am very interested in trying that release of Linux, but I have never used it before.  Is there anything I should know before trying?

Any and all advice would be greatly appreciated. 

ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 733

Re: New to Linux, Do you suggest?

Welcome to the forum!

You can always run XP if you don't like Vista, that's what a lot of people (myself included) still do.

The only thing which may not work with Linux is your Verizon card. I'd Google around a lot regarding that issue before jumping into the Linux pool.

If you're not familiar with Linux, I'd suggest ordering a machine with XP and doing a dual-boot...many good free Linux distros are around, for just about any taste. And you always have XP as a backup while testing different distros.

Hope this helps. 

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Paper Tape
afield

Thanks for the tip!   And I was wrong it looks like they SUSE linux with that thinkpad.  Do you recommend any versions to try first if I go with XP Pro and then dual boot?
Punch Card
wearetheborg

Ubuntu seems to be the most favorite. I too recommend a dual boots, esp if this is your first foray into linux, and if you dont have  a backup machine.

You can also hang out at

http://forum.notebookreview.com/forumdisplay.php?f=1029

for more help :smileyhappy:

Token Ring
biowizard

Well I've gone a couple of stages further in the won't-use-Vista stakes - my T43 (bought in late Fall, 2006) is running Windows 98SE, very nicely indeed, thank-you!

I initially had a little trouble convincing the drivers to install, because IBM/Lenovo dropped official Win98 support with the discontinuation of the T42, but after a bit of .INF file tweaking, everything worked just fine.

Sure, I can't use my fingerprint reader, and the Verizon module won't function, but I am perfectly able to type a passphrase the old fashioned way, and Verizon doesn't even provide local coverage in the UK where I live.

The best bit about my Win98SE setup is that I can totally reinstall a known-good image, including all my apps (things like Photoshop, CorelDRAW, Finale, MapSource, InDesign, Dreamweaver, Opera and others) from a ZIP file in a matter of about 2-3 minutes, whenever want to experiment with new software and then remove every trace of it.

Brian

ajkula66
Kudos: 696
Solutions: 733

My personal preference is Mint, lot of different flavours to suit almost any taste, and pretty easy to get working even for a complete beginner...

www.linuxmint.com

Good luck.

Cheers,

George

In daily use: T43pSF, R60F, T410, W510

Backups: T60, T61p, R500F

For sale: T60 (15" SXGA+ IPS), T61p (14" SXGA+ & 15.4" WUXGA),

Rebuilding: A31p, T42p, X24

Non-ThinkPads: Panasonic CF-31 & CF-52, HP 8760W

I build FrankenPads....scary FrankenPads...

S = SATA-mod (on T43/p units only)
F = FrankenPad
L = LED-mod utilizing an UXGA AFFS LED screen

Please DO NOT PM me with requests for individual support, but post your questions and concerns in the appropriate section of the forum where other users can benefit from them as well. Thank you.
Serial Port
onix

[ Edited ]
Ubuntu is also supposed to help you run dual-boot whether you have partitioned your hard-drive or not.
Message Edited by onix on 07-01-2008 06:55 PM
Punch Card
wearetheborg

Mint is Ubuntu based...
Punch Card
lita_g

I just started using Linux a few months ago. I tried Mint first and liked it, but version 4 couldn't run compiz with my integrated graphics card, so I moved on, I tried some others, Ubunto, Suse (didn't work at all), mandriva, and finally I used PCLinuxOS for a while, it was very solid and worked great, but I went back to Mint after they came out with version 5, now everything works amazing.

Keep in mind also that some things may not work the same in linux as they did in windows, I had a hard time locating drivers for my printer, and there's still no drivers available for the tv tuner that came with the pc, so i still log into vista sometimes (I dual boot).

Anyway, good luck with your search, but remember you can download live CDs for most of the free distros to try them out.

Desktop, Lenovo 3000 K100 57061330
MS Windows Vista
PC Linux OS
Fanfold Paper
Patrickvalmont

any new comer to linux world i would recommend ubuntu.
for ease of use and understanding, PClinux 2007 or BigDaddy may sound easy bu the learning curve is a bit too much.

I personally started out with OpenSuse, ive tried various others such as Sabayon etc etc nothing came close.
maybe i just love openSuse.

anyway i saw someone mention that mint is based of ubuntu ?
Ubuntu is based of Debian, so mint = debian.
Debian is the main distro others are derived from, that applies to RED hat.
Suse is based on Redhat. You will notice distros that are RPM based are Red hat and those DEB based are Debian.

cheers 

If at first you don't succeed, you're not Chuck Norris !!