Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Fanfold Paper
MC_BTay

Optimus in Linux, Ideapad Y570

I was just curious if anyone had successfully installed linux (I use Ubuntu myself but willing to switch) on a Y570 and been able to get optimus to work.  If anyone has, please tell me how? Thanks

Fanfold Paper
MC_BTay

Re: Optimus in Linux, Ideapad Y570

Nobody has had any success?

Paper Tape
ice2642

I try here the linux Mint, the system see the nvidia, but after install the proprietary driver and reboot the driver not work. stay in the vesa or noveau mode. if you run the nvidia control center, it say the driver not running and to you use the nvidia-xconfig. if you use, it made a xorg.conf that not can see the display and not start. you need delete de xorg.conf to start.

I try puppy fat dog too. not work too.

maybe in futures drivers it work.

sorry for my terrible English.

my ideapad is a y570 with i7

BR

Fanfold Paper
MC_BTay

yeah that's the same issue i had in Ubuntu, hopefully it'll be fixed soon, cause i much prefer to run linux as to windows.  it'd be nice if nvidia would just make the driver, considering nvidia is the only reason i even bought this machine

Fanfold Paper
dushaw

[ Edited ]

I am using Suse 11.4 on my Y570.  I've not been able to get the nvidia card to work at all.  I doubt that optimus will ever work, but there is a project called bumblebee that would allow one to use the nvidia card for applications or cuda.  The main issue is that the Y570 has a unique flavor of 555m - it has PCI ID 0deb rather than the standard 0dcd.  Thus, none of the standard nidia drivers work.  (The windows drivers don't work either.)  We are at present beholden to Lenovo to provide a driver - and they don't seem to be keen to support linux that well.

Perhaps Lenovo will come through one day.  I am also keeping an eye on the nvidia ftp site:

ftp://download.nvidia.com/XFree86/Linux-x86_64/

for the beta drivers.

I think if my situation were different and I could afford the time, i would send my Y570 back, even though it is otherwise a fine laptop.

Paper Tape
ice2642

I am using linux mint 11, very similar to ubuntu.

the optimus not work yet. you can use linux just with the nvidia.

my notebook is the y570.

some people talk to me about the bomblebee PPA.

I try here but not work in linux mint.

maybe some one here can have more locky.

link https://github.com/MrMEEE/bumblebee

BR

Paper Tape
Archovo

[ Edited ]

I'm running Arch at the moment. In order to get the Y570 to work well you are going to have to do a LOT of stuff. 

Disclaimer, I take no responsibility if this does not work, lights you computer on fire, it's not my problem, don't gripe at me, hunt me down, et cetera. I wish you luck.  

1)  a. Unlock the BIOS. You can find the Y570 Cracked BIOS here.

moderator edit : using cracked/un-official bios update will void your warranty and if you still want to use it, use it on your own risk. 

b. You will likely need to downgrade the BIOS first before you can unlock it. Get the v2.03 BIOS here.

c. The reason for this is that you will need to dither around in the settings in order to DISABLE the dedicated graphics card. You probably also want to turn off turboboost. Don't mess with the Northbridge chipset settings, and don't touch anything if you don't know what it does. 

2) Archlinux settings~

Follow the LAPTOP guide for Archlinux for good power management. There are a few quirks here. For power management in Arch, I use TLP, as a replacement for laptop-mode-tools as it was more effective

Note: PHC didn't do anything for me, voltages for the processor is already at lowest settings, don't bother, the best you can hope for is a good CPU frequency governor. 

In the TLP settings, I disabled bluetooth on startup, didn't use it anyway.

Add the following to your kernel in /boot/grub/menu.lst

i915.i915_enable_rc6=1 i915.i915_enable_fbc=1 i915.lvds_downclock=1 pcie_aspm=force

The end result was that I got 4:30 hours of battery life out of her. 

Fanfold Paper
dushaw

Has anyone else tried this bios fix?  After installing this modded bios, which nvidia driver would one use in Linux? 

I ask because it seems to me that changing the bios, will not fix the PCI ID issue - so that the nvidia drivers still won't work.  I suspect nouveau would work, which would still likely be improvement.

User experiences solicited...  I am loath to install a modded bios on my laptop at the moment, without some notion of how well it will work in the end.

I have to wonder about anonymously posted, modded bioses and the possibility of viruses and security issues!

Paper Tape
Archovo

[ Edited ]

dushaw wrote:

Has anyone else tried this bios fix?  After installing this modded bios, which nvidia driver would one use in Linux? 

I ask because it seems to me that changing the bios, will not fix the PCI ID issue - so that the nvidia drivers still won't work.  I suspect nouveau would work, which would still likely be improvement.

User experiences solicited...  I am loath to install a modded bios on my laptop at the moment, without some notion of how well it will work in the end.

I have to wonder about anonymously posted, modded bioses and the possibility of viruses and security issues!

With regards to this, the noveau kernel module was giving me trouble by sending power to the GPU but doing nothing useful beyond that. The BIOS fix will not allow you to use the GPU, instead it disables the GPU as a whole and linux will not be able to mess around with it behind the scenes. In doing this fix you rely upon the Intel integrated card and save a bit of battery life. Note that I recommend that anyone who doesn't know what they are doing just run linux as is- I have already had to post how to run a crisis recovery for another user. The above is intended for advanced users only. Either computer techies or the engineering major ilk. The reason behind a BIOS fix is I'm not a kernel hacker, but I do know my way around a BIOS. If anyone reading this wants to foward stuff upstream to the kernel devs, feel free it would certainly be safer.

Fanfold Paper
dushaw

Thanks for the reply and clarification...  

I dream of using my 555m someday on my 570...someday, I hope.