Support in other languages: 
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Do you mean 
Punch Card
kschumake83

Q: B570 and linux compatibility

[ Edited ]

i have a question about the bios in my b570 that i bought at best buy after christmas. i believe it is a 1068 series. i was trying out a couple of different distros of linux and any of them that ran grub2 would not boot. it would just ask me which drive i want to boot off of and if i chose hard drive it would just reboot into that screen. all of the linux forums say that this is a bios issue where it only looks for a mbr for boot and grub2 uses a different boot record so it won't be seen.  is there any way so i can change the bios so it makes it easier to load a different version of linux rather than having to boot to live cds and change the bootloader. 

ps and the wireless card in this thing sucks for linux compatibility

edit: sorry that you had to move my post into the abyss... didnt even know you had a linux section burried in the special interest part

What's DOS?
iqtedar

Re: Q: B570 and linux compatibility

[ Edited ]

I managed to install Ubuntu 11.10 on my Lenovo B570 but it wasn't straightforward and there are still some issues such as with WiFi and turning the screen back on after it turns off automatically. I also want to obtain the drivers especially for the fingerprint scanner but I can't seem to find any.

Punch Card
kschumake83

well turning the wifi on is easy it is just ;

sudo service network-manager stop

sudo rmmod acer_wmi

sudo modprobe acer_wmi

sudo rfkill unblock all

sudo service network-manager start

sudo rmmod -f acer_wmi

and then to make it stick across reboots

sudo su

echo "blacklist acer_wmi" >> /etc/modprobe.d/blacklist.conf

i can set the wifi up in a matter of seconds my big issue is with grub it can be a pain in the ass and i end up avoiding distros because of it. if only we had a bios upgrade to make our bios work like every other one i would be happy

Fanfold Paper
vlbaindoor

I have installed Kubuntu 11.10 64bit on my B570 - but I had lots of problems with EFI and my laptop appeared to fail GRUB - untill I found the actual choice is actually to use the F12 key at system start up when I want to boot into KUbuntu.

I did spend a lot of time figuring out what was happening. I can change the boot order by using the F2 key and modifying the order. On my laptop there are two choices which turn up in boot choices - 'ubuntu' and 'windows boot manager'. Order of these two can be modified using F2 key and to boot the non-default choice press F12 key.  The only drawback I see is that I can not change the delay before the default booting gets going. I would be glad if I can change this 'time out' - the other problem is during the timeout, I would not know what is going to get booted - as there is no display at all untill it is too late.

There are several message threads here which even suggest getting rid of EFI - but I am going with Grub-efi rather than older version of Grub.

Punch Card
kschumake83

i dont dual boot with windows so that isnt my issue. my issue is with certain distros using a grub that is not compattible with efi. i have a workaround though.  i keep linux mint on my harddrive and use rescutux live cd to restore a good grub from linux mint 12 and i have the commands to get the wifi memmorized now so it really is no big deal anymore trying a new distribution. thanks for your workarounds though, your input is appreciated.