Support in other languages: 
Punch Card
lita_g

Recommend a distro for a K100

Hi everybody,

Well, since getting my new K100 I started toying with it and I'm not too happy with Vista, so I started testing some Linux distros, the first one I tried was Mint, which I really liked and worked great, except for Compiz, that would not work with my video card (integrated intel X3100) I tried all kinds of things and couldn't make it work, and considering I wanted to use Linux because of Compiz, I decided to try something else, so I tried Mandriva, the Compiz effects were awesome, but I didn't really care for it as an OS and there are no drivers for my current printer, so that's a bummer.

Now, I had to reinstall vista and set my K100 back to factory settings, after OneKey recovery backfired on me, so I also lost any linux installation I had before, so I'm ready to try something else, could someone recommend a good distro that would let me use Compiz with my x3100 but that also has a variety of applications available to install?

I'm not too familiar with Linux, but I've worked in IT for years and have some programming experience too, so I wouldn't mind doing some coding if I have to.

Thanks!
Desktop, Lenovo 3000 K100 57061330
MS Windows Vista
PC Linux OS
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

Re: Recommend a distro for a K100

better opt for ubuntu or suse 10.3 try using beryl window manager its more eye cady

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Punch Card
lita_g

Well, I tried Ubuntu and it worked just as Mint (which is based in Ubuntu), so even though I tried all the tricks I could find, still, no compiz.

I tried Opensuse and the installation went well, but when finishing up and rebooting, the screen just wouldn't look right, so the video drivers didn't load, and I'm not experienced enough to fix this using only the console (without a browser to look for info while doing it).

Are there any other distros where I could get compiz working with a GMA X3100 besides Mandriva?
MS Windows Vista
PC Linux OS
buddinggeek
Topics: 105
Kudos: 140
Blog Posts: 0
Solutions: 118

try pc linux os its excellent provides support for most of intel's drivers and has an eye candy interface

Cheers and regards,
• » νιנαソѕαяα∂нι ѕαмανє∂αм ™ « •
Think : T410,X220T,Thinkpad Yoga
Idea :3000H,Z500,U410,Yoga 11, Yoga tab 10,Horizon
●๋•کáŕádhí'ک díáŕý ツ

I am a volunteer here. I don't work for Lenovo
Serial Port
sam-c

Ubuntu 7.10
Works very fast here.
Firefox
Open Office
etc..
Sam in Jaffa
Samuel Cohen
Jaffa

Lenovo J200 Desktop with Linux
Punch Card
lita_g

Well, after trying different distros I finally tried PCLinuxOS, but the Minime release, which works great so far. Although I had to tweak it after install so it would recognize my network adapter, but this time I was able to get Compiz working and I'm pretty pleased with it so far. I would have rather used a Gnome desktop but KDE is working well for now.

I wish I could have tested visual effects using virtual box though, that would have made this whole testing experience much easier.

Thanks to everybody! I'll wait and see what other distros come out with new releases and with the new kernel, that way maybe I can try something different that will support the x3100 graphics.

One thing though, I'm thinking I may not be able to use my TV tuner card with linux, I was looking into it and couldn't find much information, it's an hvr-1800 if anyone knows anything about it. :smileytongue:
MS Windows Vista
PC Linux OS